Glock Cominolli thumb safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
"" A gun made without a safety, then installed? Why don't you install a safety on your revolver? ""

A vehicle made without a winch, then installed? Why don't you install a winch on your Prius? --- Similar rhetorical question, no?

In any case, I may not want a winch on my Prius, but I may install the winch on my F-150. I know, I could buy a Jeep with a winch already installed at the factory, but I want an F-150 with a winch in it.

Likewise I do not want to install a thumb safety on a revolver, but I want it on a Glock. I know that I could buy a striker fired Springfield XD Full Size with a factory installed thumb safety, but what I want is a Glock with a safety on it.

Some do not like winches on their trucks, some do not like safeties on their guns, some do not like mustard on their hamburger.

I personally like winches, safeties and mustard, and I like to put them wherever I want, and one of the many reasons why the USA is so great is that we all have choices to do or do not as we please.

Behold my exercise in free choice:
attachment.php

Which I daily use for this:
attachment.php

.... notice how in addition to the thumb safety I hold my thumb on "the gadget" which works like holding the hammer down on a DA pistol while re-holstering.

Probability of Glock leg =
Chance of: depressing the trigger + thumb safety off + also not pressing on "the gadget with thumb" = 0.00000000001 %
The only way it could be lower is with no round in the chamber.

""I didn't want to have to fumble with a safety when drawing to fire. I don't have to fumble with that safety. My finger goes to trigger, safety is disengaged without thinking about it.""

ok, what would happen if you forget to depress the trigger when you have to fire?

Chance of: needing to fire a shot + not disengaging thumb safety = chance of doing so with a 1911 = (almost) chance of forgetting to depress the trigger itself.

Rifles have safeties, carbines have safeties, the AR15 has a safety, many pistols have safeties. If your firearm has a safety you will not forget to disengage it any more than you will forget to press the trigger.

Put a safety wherever you wish, and don't have a safety where you don't want it, that's it.

Last edited:
I started buying Glocks and was the first person that I personally know to buy one of those plastic POS's (as my friends called Glocks at the time). I bought a Gen2 G17 for home defense because I did not want an externally manipulated safety on my home defense gun and 17 + 1 rounds were unheard of at that time. Anyway, I trained a lot and wanted it to be second nature to handle the gun quickly but safely. My carry gun is a G26 so I have a common platform and I wouldn't have any safeties on either still.

The Gadget is interesting to me and I can understand someone using it especially with AIWB and re-holstering. Accidentally getting clothing in the way can and does happen, but usually because we get to complacent in the process. If it's intended to counter your finger on the trigger, then it would seem just as probable that you might forget to put your thumb on the gadget as it would be to not have your finger on the trigger. Probably would be just that one time when Murphy is paying attention.

I think we can let this one rest in peace, especially since the information that brought it back to life has also been posted on several other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back