Glock 45 or 21 Gen4 for large fanny-pack carry?

I want the largest-frame higher-capacity man-stopping pistol I can carry comfortably in a fanny pack. I have large hands and want a grip that is hand-filling. I need to mitigate RECOIL as much as possible too. I have owned 3 Colt Govt. Models .45 ACP over my 57 years and have carried two of them in large packs. They shot reasonably comfortably in my hands but carrying them a long time in the pack got tiresome coz of the weight. My 1970's Series 70 was not that accurate and jammed sometimes. In late 1994, my Colt Series 70 was confiscated by the MP's while I was in the army and I was told it was destroyed when I got out. I had to sell my beloved pre-1964 Colt Govt. Model in 2001 due to a money crunch. I bought a new Series 80 in the summer 1995 right after leaving the service but it was destroyed three years later in an automobile accident.

I don't want any newer 1911-style pistol. I don't like today's Colt Company and every new model one I've seen since 2000 from Colt, Springfield Armory and others has had crappy-looking roll stampings. Glock for its black "boxy-Volvo" plastic ugliness has neat stampings on the metal slide and that's a big attraction to me and Glocks are not Colt/1911-priced. Glocks are made in old-world Europe, not by hung-over union American workers.

Glock seems reliable and accurate. I owned a Glock 21 in 2002 but it was stolen 8 months later and never recovered. Was carried by me in a fanny pack with an Idaho CCW. Not too overbearing. I never fired that .45 ACP Glock.

Last edited:
I owned a Glock 21 in 2002 but it was stolen 8 months later and never recovered. Was carried by me in a fanny pack with an Idaho CCW. Not too overbearing. I never fired that .45 ACP Glock.
In light of that, perhaps you needn't concern yourself with the cost of ammunition for practice.

Back