Glock 43X "breaking in" question.

Yes, multiple Glocks that I have owned had one or two malfunctions in the first ~150 rounds, and then no more. Inevitably, it will be with light "range ammo" and the malfunction will look exactly as if the cartridge was underpowered. I haven't seen this happen when using hotter self-defense ammo.

Not just with Glocks -- .22 autos do this quite often, too. The gun is just more reliable with a broader spectrum of ammo after a few hundred rounds.

Generally, the gun is *not* at peak performance as it comes straight out of the box. It may be "good enough" (and often is with a Glock), but spring weights and metal-to-metal contact surfaces are changing more quickly in those first few boxes of ammo than they are later on. Ever notice that magazines get a lot easier to load to full capacity after one or two trips to the range? That property is not unique to magazine springs.

I think most people send back their guns to the manufacturers too prematurely. If they fiddled a little they might have solved the problem and learned more about the particulars of that gun.
I bought a used Kahr k40. It would prematurely lock back the slide during shooting. I checked that I was not the cause with my grip. I discovered that the slide lock is a two piece affair and the pin had come loosed from the lever allowing the lever to lock open the slide. I contacted Kahr to see if I could get a new lever (for free) and the rep said it was not the problem, send it in. I ordered a new takedown/slide stop lever and it fixed the problem. Most people would have sent the gun back in.

I have NEVER sent a gun back in to the manufacturer, but have owned hundreds of weapons. I have never sold a weapon because I or the manufacturer could not fix the problem. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket!:D

Whether or not I can fix the issue isn’t the question for me. I have plenty of tools and a workbench that I spend enough time at. I’m specifically talking new production firearms that came with a warranty. A good manufacturer should stand behind that warranty. I’m also not advocating for sending a pistol back with every bobble that happens. When it’s an issue that can be repeated with the firearm in its factory configuration using factory ammunition then it’s not on me. I’ll add that in all the times I have contacted the manufacturer I have only had one time with one manufacturer that they refused to take it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know they are out there. There was a guy recently here that said that he took two shots with his new Kahr and it jammed, and so he sold it right away as a lemon.
Heck there's even a guy who said that he would never buy a Kahr because he saw a video where the Kahr rep warned that limp wristing could cause malfunctions. SILLY!:eek::D

Glock only has a one year warranty so after a year you are on your own anyways.

Last edited:
Glocks, or any pistol that I would carry for self/home defense should at least be shot some with the ammo you plan on loading/carrying to make sure it functions.

Hi all,

I couldn't but help overhear a conversation (at my LGS) someone saying that the Glock 43X (perhaps Glocks in general) when brand new should be "broken in" by firing at least 350 rounds (Yikes!) of BALL ammo before being reliable enough for loading with "Personal Defense type Ammo". Is this true ? Considering the cost/availability of 9mm Ammo, this would cost a small fortune! Thanks.

KAOS THE CAT

Glocks all ship from the factory wearing an anti-seize compound(golden globules)slapped into the slides rails, this should not be removed, it should be fired with all of the substance intact until it has obviously been evenly dispersed along the full length of the slides rails, likely this is where the urban legend regarding break-in arose from! Will cleaning it out ruin your Glock, not so much! Nonetheless, it is there to work into the substrates porosity and it works very well at its intended task!

While true, there are stories of Glock replacing parts of pistols well outside of warranty without charge. Now they certainly aren’t obligated to do so, but it has happened. Many companies understand that good customer service experiences are important. People that have bad experiences are more than happy to tell others. We’ve seen it on this forum many times. Finally, we are talking here primarily about the initial use of a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know they are out there. There was a guy recently here that said that he took two shots with his new Kahr and it jammed, and so he sold it right away as a lemon.
Heck there's even a guy who said that he would never buy a Kahr because he saw a video where the Kahr rep warned that limp wristing could cause malfunctions. SILLY!

Glock, along with Sturm/Ruger, offers the best CS in the industry, indeed Rugers all ship absent any warranty whatsoever, yet you will find few disgruntled Glock or Ruger owners who have contacted either for service/repair years after purchase!

When buying a new firearm, I immediately take it to the range and fire 50-100 rounds just to make sure the gun functions.

Hi all,

HAPPY (belated) St.Patrick's Day. I again want to thank EVERYONE here for their thoughts/comments/suggestions/information provided. I dear say this thread will be very useful to many readers (not just regarding Glock) but pretty much all Handguns in general. LOTS of good information! Thank you.

KAOS THE CAT

Urban legend is being polite. No firearm requires "breaking in".
If you hear that again, ask whoever said it what kind of "ball" is required. "Ball" is just an FMJ, regardless of bullet weight. 9mm NATO is "Ball", but it's also considered to be +P. Not all FMJ's are +P. Just as not all 9mm NATO uses a 124 grain bullet. General Dynamics Ordnance, up here, loads a 115 grain 9mm NATO.
You should define "Personal Defense type Ammo" too.

Back