Glock 22 or H & K USP 40?

I've owned both, and my advice would be for the USP (my friend that doesn't see the light calls it the USeless P).
:)

for a while i considered buying a glock, but once i felt the USP in my hand...

buy USP. i have a full size and i love it. once i have enough funding i am going to buy a USP40compact. :)

But depending on where you live for about $50.00 more you can get a USP .45. That's what I did, got myself a USP .45. If your stuck on a .40 you can't go wrong with the USP.

The Glock has a 1/4 inch longer barrel. I don't know how that would affect velocity, but it's a thought. Personally, I like glocks, as I haven't seen anything I like better...I did fire a Steyr M40 the other day that set my heart a-flutter. If the standard capacity magazine ban is ever lifted, I'd most likely get one of those in .40 or maybe .357sig. They really out glock the glock in every area. And , the HK looks like a winner as well, although they have really short barrels for their size.

Brasso - If you want the that extra 1/4 inch of barrel - you can get it. So dont consider that length as a problem.

I'll put in my 2 cents as well and say that the USP is the way to go. It has internal recoil buffering that the Glock doesnt have. Well, you can buy recoil dampeners for the Glock - but the HK has them built in factory spec. The recoil dampening is even better in the USP .40 Compact. Or at least it felt that way to me.
Seriosly - I fired one and I had to read the slide to be sure I wasnt firing a 9MM!
HKs, accurate, reliable, and handsome in an ugly "Tommy Lee Jones" kinda way. (Dont Ask) It makes a good carry package and for the caliber - the USP is the way to go PERIOD... even out of all the other pistol choices.
HK designed the USP for the .40 and not the other way around like the other 9MM pistols chambered for .40...

Some complain about the trigger - but you can have that any way you like as well.

I'd vote for the full size USP45. I have a full size 40 and the only thing I would change is to make it a 45 instead :)

George: good to hear that the compact felt like low recoil to you, I'm thinking of getting a compact 40 for my wife. I'd been wondering about the felt recoil. The full-size USP40 is her favorite gun so far, so the compact seems like a natural. And I'm happy not to go down to a 9mm for that piece.

- gabe

DHL, ever seen one of those Gillette comercials with square headed guys ("but once i felt the USP in my hand")? Not that G-22 would feel much better in average sized hand.

What do you want the gun for? Which action type do you prefer? Is it going to be just tossed in the glove box, or be a nighstand gun, or carried in a dedicated holster?

Both are reliable.USP seems to be tougher as far as hot-rodding goes. Also, USP seems to be less sensitive to OAL of the cartridge (if it's to judge from my experience with some reloads and full size USP and G-27). Everything else is in favor of Glock: availability of hi caps (and the mag durability), size, ease of tuning the trigger, availability of replacement parts,... And it seems that with the same amount of practice you'll shoot faster with Glock.

Obviously I am biased towards Glocks, but I am no brand loyalist, and have owned 9mm and .45 full size USPs in the past.

I'd go with the .40 compact. IME, the compacts are just as accurate and precise as the full size models. If I went full size, I'd go with the .45acp. One thing though, the compacts come with the "bobbed" hammer, and for some, it takes some getting used to. It makes things a little harder for those who like to "thumb cock", but also makes things a little easier with those who like to carry discreetly. Also, with the compacts, you get a metal magazine as opposed to the polymer mags with the full size .40s (you get a metal one with the .45F). HTH

I have the USP40c and I shot a fullsize side by side and I'd have to disagree with George about the recoil ... the fullsize felt much milder to me ... and it should. It has the two stage recoil spring while the compact ahs one spring and a bushing that is REALLY hard (not polyurethane!). I love my compact, though and it is accurate. I bought my wife a 9mm ... I don't think that the USP40c is for the faint at heart.

I logged on tonight to praise H&K's service. My compact threw the spring clip that holds the recoil spring on the guide rod yesterday. The gun continued to function without ANY issues, but the spring came off of the rod when I stripped it for cleaning. I had heard horror stories about how H&K treats their non-LE customers, but I called and was polite to the gentleman who answered almost immediately. He didn't even let me finish telling my story ... as soon as he heard that the clip had failed, he went straight to my address. I asked him if this was a common failure after only 1500 rounds. He said that it can happen if you shoot hot loads ... I shoot real .40 loads ... not over pressure ... but not too many "target" loads. I asked him if he could send two clips and he said "We'll take care of you ... that's what I want you to know. You have a good day." I hung up happy to have purchased an HK.

I feel that HK has the edge, especially in full sized pistols. In looking for a CCW, however, I did have to jump the fence to the Glock (G27) because it was slightly smaller and did offer the dual recoil springs, which I prefer, like the USP full.

One thing, however, I fully detail stripped the Glock for the first time the other night (using shoddy instructions off the 'net and a 3/36th" pin punch) - easy as making cereal, I was shocked because this was the first pistol I was able to do this with.

I still do not have the confidence to detail strip the USP, even though I have had it for much longer. If you really plan on giving it the beatdown, get the Glock because you won't feel as bad when you bang it up. Otherwise, HK all the way.

Grip them both in your hand and then decide yourself! :-)
I have been considering a Glock 17 as my first gun sometime ago (been familiar with that gun for almost 5 year as I have been shooting one belonging to my friend who is shooting a IPSC with it), but the bulky shape of USP attracted my interest too for awhile - I never have fired one, but I simply liked thet look. Then came the moment of decision - I came to the shop and have tried both in my hand. I need to say my hands are L-size (not exactly XL, but way biger from M-size) and the fullsize 9mm/.40 frame USP felt too big for me! I could not reach the mag release without releasing the grip and re-position my hand slightly... Then I hold the G-17 and have apologized to it for having ever thinking about another gun! :-))) Yes, I took home the G-17 because it felt in my hand immediately natural and much better than USP (yes, besause I am used to it) and I still consider USP as terrific and fine gun, but do not want one for myself now. My attraction for second gun turned to CZ 75 :-)

Ditto on the "see for yourself" part...

Personally, I consider the 45 to be the way to go in the full sized, and the .40 is ditto on the Compact.

The two fit much differently in the hand though, so be sure to handle both, even shoot both if possible.

I own a USP45, and although I ABSOLUTELY love it, it could be a bit smaller. Even though it's my HD only pistol, it's STILL a pretty hefty piece of hardware to pull out when stuff goes bump in the night.

USP40 or Glock22

I'll break the trend and recommend the Glock G22. I find the back-strap of the USP40 to be "sharp." This was remedied by purchasing a Hogue "Handall" slip on grip. My USP40 is now much more comfortable to handle. I found that the USP doesn't fit my hand as well as the G22, and doesn't point as naturally.

The USP40 and/or the G22 will serve you well, and take a beating. If you could get both, do so. Both have been reliable and accurate, however, like I said the USP doesn't fit ME as well as the Glock.

Honestly, I feel that your deciding factor should be which of the two fits you best. Don't let the reliability/durability help you decide, these are two of the most robust handguns you could EVER own.

I know this didn't help,
Jim

The USP.40 Compact gets my vote over the Glock 22. The Glock is excellent but the .40 Compact feels slightly better in my hand.

I prefer the Compact to the full size USP in .40S&W because it feels more comfortable in my hand. The recoil is surprisingly tame and the size is perfect. I've found that the Compact is just as accurate as the full size version too. If I was looking for a full size gun I'd get a USP.45. No doubt about it.

Back