Glock 19 vs. Ruger P Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with the Glock.

Doing what I do, I like to consider things like parts availability and ease of service.

Glock wins hands down.

Also, when considering a pistol for defense,look at what the pros use all over the world that play for real. What you will see are Sigs,Glocks,Berettas,1911's and Hi Powers,with a few Smith&Wessons thrown in.

As far as reliability goes, the most reliable auto is the beretta 92 series in 9mm. Eats just about everything.

Is the Ruger a good gun? Heck yes. But there is a reason 67% of law enforcement uses Glocks.

I would reccomend the Glock without hesitation.

Understand that LE sometimes get some awsome deals on Glocks as well... could explain their prominance. I honestly feel that more departments don't go to Ruger's because they just aren't as COOL as Glocks, Sigs or HK's. Isn't that sad? The 100+ dollars they save could go into salary increases, new vests, upgraded radios, etc... but they'd rather have what everybody else has. On the upside, I guess it makes training easier.

Ben

[Edited by Ben on 03-21-2001 at 05:36 PM]

I am not a plant of any firearm manufacturer or any organization that promotes a particular brand. My employer is a private college, and they have no interest in this discussion.

I've had a glock 19 and a 26 and hadn't had the problems mentioned. The 26 shot a lot better than the 19 so I got rid of the 19. I've come to the conclution that full sized guns aren't needed to shoot small calibers. Why waste all that gun to spit out little 9's when you could be shooting 40's?
I got a ruger security six that has bound shooting heavy loads and a .22 that seriously seised up so I know that revolvers are very capable of malfunctioning. A friend of mine has a ruger and it shoots good and it's very relible but I prefer the simplicity of the glock.

I have a 19 and have had very few if any problems with it. It is a nice size for the caliber and the # of rounds that it holds.

Glock is lighter, smaller, more accurate, better ergonomics, better corrosion resistance, simpler, better trigger.

Ruger is cheaper, hi cap mags are cheaper, probably more robust (for way hot loads).

Both are very reliable. Glock needs less lube.

Glock is more "shootable". Lower bore axis, better trigger, shorter trigger reset. Anyone that can shoot (rapid fire, not bulls) as good with the Ruger (specially P-85/89/90) as with G-19 probably isn't using that Glock up to it's potential.

The Ruger P series are cheap pistols. I have never had a failure to feed on any of my glocks, not once. Every time you pull the trigger it goes bang.

Two Wounds,

I still can't figure out how all those Glocks could not make it through a simple 50 round course of fire. How is that possible? I can't even conceive of the explanation, as it defies common sense and logic.

First, how could Glock gain any reputation whatsoever for reliability, if your story is accurate? It just doesn't jibe.

Secondly, Glocks have passed more tortuous tests than any other handgun--consistently (perhaps with the exception of the Hk SOCCOM pistol). The F.B.I. might not always be the most professional bunch, but they seem to know how to properly conduct a pistol test. They put guns through pretty gruelling tests, with very high round counts, before they adopt them--and they don't just test one gun. When they adopted the Glock, for instance, they ran a whole bunch through the test at the same time, to make sure they weren't dealing with a fluke.

Also, the Miami PD, which was the very first major police agency to adopt the Glock (Glock 17), put the gun through an extremely punishing test, and they also tested more than one.

See where I'm goin' with this?

A gun you'll keep, the Glock.

Gun you'll dump, the Ruger.

Rugers are great for people on a budget and they are built like tanks, but I've never heard people rant on their accuracy.

And where is RugerTalk?

get the Glock, you're worth it.

I'm no expert (nor am I a Ruger employee). That said, my small but growing collection of firearms reveals a trend in my tastes - 1 Glock and 3 Ruger P series guns. I think the P95 and P97 are the best things going. I like them both for different reasons (Glock and Ruger), but when it comes down to it I rely on a Ruger for my safety. They have proven very accurate, super rugged, and heck - I even like the way they look! I like the fact that they are American made too. This may be way off the mark, but I think Glocks are so popular because of their looks and their cost - I'm sure some people think that a 500 dollar pistol just has to be better than a 300 dollar pistol. But in my experience, which is admitedly limited, my Rugers do at least as good or better than my Glock at the range. Just my .02

Is there a cult of the Glock or something? I have shot both guns, and find them to be of comparable accuracy and reliability. I'm not sure why so many people here are down on the Rugers. My P-95 is a great pistol, and for the price, you just can't beat it.

P90

I've shot my friends Kimber classic, a Colt Gold Cup, a Glock 36 and my P90. I like the Kimber trigger and looks, didn't like either the way either the Glock or the Colt shot that day with the owners ammo. My P90 looks good (to me), shoots +P and 45 Super ammo inside of 2" at 25 yards all day, and fits my hand. I think they're probably all good guns, its personal preference and budget. If the Kimber was DA/SA with a manual safety like my P90, I'd probably be saving up to buy it...

I have a Ruger P89, and I would not trade it for any Glock. When I bought this handgun I wanted the perfect handgun for me. I tested just about every 9mm that was available at the gun range. At the end of the day the Ruger was the best.

The trigger does has a longer pull but that alone does not make the Glock better. I clean and oil all of my gun after shooting them, so the point that a Glock do not require as much oil is only trivial. The Ruger is an inexpensive pistol but by no means is it a cheap pistol. I have never had any problem with it either. As far as accuracy is concerned, I would be happy to go the range and shoot against any Glock anytime.

viper,

I see where you are going, and I have no explanation. If we were inexperienced with firearms, both semiautos and revolvers, as a group I would be more able to understand why we have experienced such troubles.

Since I lost a substantial chunck of money trying to make my Glock reliable and on the subsequent trade-in I would love a viable explanation. I know of none.

I spoke with another instructor tonight concerning this discussion and the statistics I have supplied to our debate.
My tales of woe are accurate.

If someone else recomends something, it does not mean you'll like it. You should go to your nearest gun range that rents guns and fire the ones you are interested in. To be fair, fire the Glock 19 against the Ruger P-95DAO(Double Action Only). I personally prefer the Ruger brand due to that my first handgun was the Ruger P-89T, then I purchased the P-90T, P-944T, and the P-97DC. I also have big hands and the Ruger fits my hand better. But I do own the Glock 19, but I had to install the Hogue over-molded grips for better grip. Another option for you is to check the HK USP 9mm, if you have the money to buy the HK USP 9mm go for-it. The HK is a radical firearm especially the compact models. But first read on them, then fire them at the range and make your final decision at the gun shop. Hope to hear from you soon, as to what was your choice. Later.

Boy oh boy!!! Here we go again. I had the same delema. I solved it by buying BOTH!!!! Both my G19, and my P95 are exceptional weapons. I shot the live fire portion of my CCW class with my P95, and scored a 98%. (one flyer) Maybe I will use my G19 next time...

I find it impossible to believe that only one Glock finished the course without a problem. Not a flame, but I think you are letting your bias toward Glocks get the better of you.

I'm sorry if this offends you. It is not meant as a flame.

My first handgun was a Ruger P89 in 9mm. Fired almost everything I put into it. Shot straighter than I do. Sold it to a buddy, got a USP9mm. Fires everything, but has to have 147g lead to get right elevation. Never had a Glock, not 'nuff $$ in pocket. Am told that Milwaukee PD types who carry them LOVE them. Depends on what you need and what is comfy to fire.

Two Wounds, there are just too many of us Glock believers to belive your story without seeing the glock malfunctions myself. I have seen Glocks malfunction, but this comes after severe wear or neglect. I am talking SEVERE. When NJ state turned down the S&W autos because of failures there was no surprise here. As a firearms instructor myself my religion has always been never rely on a Smith auto. But malfunctioning Glocks in that number I would have to see to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back