Glock 19 vs. Glock 23. Which one would you take?

Have owned both

Actually traded my 19 for a 23. Wish I hadn't done that. Would choose the 19, two extra rounds in the hi-cap mags, and easier to shoot I think.

I thought my Glock 23 was inaccurate too until I watched a DFW Police Officer make smiley faces with it at ten yards. After his counsel, my groups tightened up. I chose the 23 to avoid the high cap rat race. Even with the infringement mags, I have 11 rounds of great stopping power in a good package from a platform that is more than accurate at accepted self-defense ranges.

Marshall and Sanow recently did a study that points out the .40 has a slight edge over the .357 Sig in terms of penetration and expansion on ACTUAL SHOOTINGS, not goats or jello.

As to comparing the .40 and the 9mm, there is no comparison. If there was, there wouldn't be the mass exodus from the 9mm in the LEO community. Remember, we are talking LEO/Self Defense applications here not Military usage.

From FBI gel tests, after cloth:

124/9 +P Gold Dot 20/.53
125/357SIG 19/.54
155/40 GD 18/.57
185/45 GS 16/.68

From Marshal's GunWorld article, One Shot Stop % and ARD/P (avg recovered diameter, penetration) in real people:

124/9 +P GD 88% 13.4/.70
125/357 GD 90% 12.8/.65
155/40 GD 94% 14.1/.67
185/45 GS 96% 12.3/.68

Looks pretty close to me?

The best stopper, and which one you stop best with, may not be the same thing?

Well, the bulk of the responses have been to stick with the G19. However, the G23ers have been pretty vocal too. I guess I'll stick with the 19 for a while, and perhaps buy a 23, just to have one on hand, when funds allow. After all, you can never have too many ugly(although beautiful in my eyes) Austrian bullet launchers lyin' around.

Both are great guns but 9mm is better round because its readily avaiable, inexpensive, little recoil, and quite accurate.

40SW has a kaboom risk I just do like. Recoils sharply and just doesn't seem to have the accuracy of the 9s or the 45s. I don't see too many if any 40 SW conversion kits for 1911 but there are several 9mm target guns like the Sig P210 as well as some 1911 kits for STI 1911s and the like.

Get a Glock 26/19 for CCW.
Glock 19/17/34 for range work and training.
Go to the range and shoot them then decide.

I love the G34.

I have both the G23 for winter carry and the G19 for summer carry. If I had to choose one it would be the G19.
I would then train more for head shots. :)

Bradl45,

I've never reloaded... but give me some fast burning powder, a case and a bullet and I can probably blow up a Glock 19. I think kB's are possible in almost ANY caliber if it's loaded wrong. I hear all that you have to do is set the bullet back too far and put in a wee-bit too much powder... BOOM!

Gimme just one chance; I can blow it up! Just gimme the resources and someone willing to pull the trigger :)
Ben

[Edited by Ben on 02-24-2001 at 03:01 AM]

Well, if Bill Gates was gonna give me a gazillion bucks for blowing up a stock gun outta the box w factory ammo, I know which one I would reach for. :)

Back