Glock 19 advice

I have a G19. It is a perfectly good pistol. I just prefer the G26. I haven't had any problems to speak of with it, other than the usual "ammo it does not like" stuff. Mine is mainly a range pistol.

Buy it. Seriously.

Any negative accounts of the Glock 19 (aside from personal taste) are the exception, not the rule.

My first "real" pistol was the 19, cause it seemed like the perfect compromise. Then I shot a friends 26. I liked it so much I got my own (with the grip extentions). It did everything my 19 did only better. My 19 didn't jam but for some reason or other I could not shoot it as well. Swapping rear sights helped but I hadn't done a thing to the 26 and always shot it just fine. I wound up trading it for a couple of revolvers. For me the perfect 9mm is my 26.

I'm another fan of the 19, carried one for years. My carry gun is now the G27 because it is smaller and I wanted a .40. I still have the 19, would not consider sellling it, and shoot it occasionally. The only problem I ever had was that the rear sight fell off about a year after I got it. Glock sent me a replacement, no problems since.

In my opinion, caliber is possibly the biggest drawback to the 19. I say possibly because my 19, loaded with Cor-Bon, dropped a wounded 8 point buck in it's tracks last November. With one shot. So maybe caliber isn't that big a deal. I don't know.....

My Glock 19 is my daily defense weapon. In the countless 1000s of rounds I've put through it, I've never had a failure to feed, fire, or anything else. It is compact enough to use for CCW and it's the most rugged and reliable pistol ever invented, IMO. It's 15 round magazine gives it a great balance between size and capacity, making it the most size efficient pistol on the market. Even with postban mags, 10+1 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots is nothing to sneeze at. You will not look back after buying such a wonderful pistol.:)

Hear waaaaay more good than bad about them. NYPD had some problems with some ammo, but they had problems with their Berettas and HK MP5s and some ammo too. Dropped SIG from the approved list too for no good reason I heard about.

Glock failed the DEA T&E in 92, but the "upgrades" since fixed those problems (FBI/DEA are issuing Glocks 40s to classes). The Glock 19 (and SIG P228) are getting very popular overseas with the right folks.

Combat Tupperware

Just got my first Glock--A G-19, old model (No rails, no finger grooves--I don't know the other differences.) Took it out this morning and Elder Son and I put 200 rounds of various JHPs through it Not a bobble, other than one non-crimped cartridge. I expected no less. This purchase is a major step for me because I am not fond of the design, the feel, appearence, etc.

As I tell my CHL classes: I am a 1911 traditionalist, and if it's not forged metal, and wood or ivory or stag, it is not REALLY a firearm. There's not much good that can be said for the Glocks, really. Oh, well, they tend to be pretty accurate. And, of course, they seem to work flawlessly. All the time. Every time. Of course, that's about all you can ask of ANY tool, huh? Not everyone is into firearms as an art form . . . .

I got my G-19 mainly to round out my education on current sidearm types. And to use in instruction. And to loan to students in classes. And for visitors who found it inconvenient to bring their own handgun. The Glock appears on its way to becoming what the K-frame S&W was a few years back: A standard, no-frills, anyone-can-use-it handgun.

I had fired less than a thousand rounds in all models of Glocks in the past. Just didn't interest me. But this G-19, though--It has its own fascination, kind of like a Colt Official Police or an S&W Military & Police .38. Simple, sturdy, plain, reliable.

I'll get a little canvas pouch to hold the plastic pistol, one spare mag, plastic holster and pouch, 50 rounds of good ammo. If something goes wrong with my "real pistol," or if I need a spare, I'll have this stuff in the back of the car, and be fairly well geared.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

Thanks, folks

Your feedback gave me exactly the information that I was seeking.

I had purchased a Jennings Model 38 :0 when I was a poor student. At the time, I couldn't fall back on my mantra of "I won't complain about price, but I will complain about quality." Now, thankfully, I've got the resources that allow me to be a bit more snobbish. :D

A pragmatist by nature, it was the utility and quality of engineering of the Glock that appealed to me. The posts made in response to my original query served to confirm that my feelings toward the Glock were not misplaced.

Thanks again.

Tall Man

I did it:

I purchased a G19 this morning. Yay for me. :D

NIB, $469.00, fixed sights. Not very pretty, but appears to be well-engineered.

Am looking forward to our first date at the range.

Any particular ammo recommendations? I'm partial to American Eagle (Federal) and PMC.

Also, can this weapon accept +P ammunition? If so, I'm curious to know what your experience has been with this particular ammunition. The paperwork that accompanied my Glock didn't mention this subject at all, whereas my EAA Witness manual specifically prohibits the use of +P in my .45 ACP polymer weapon.

Tall Man

The Glock 19 will easily stand up to +P pressure, or some +P+ for that matter. Unless you are loading 9mm submachinegun ammo into it you'll have no worries. I had a 23 and it was unbelieveably good. Good choice.

Yeah, aside from ruggedness, reliability and good accuracy Gocks don't have a dang thing going for them. :D

Glock 19

I too love my G19. I have a G17 also, and love it on the range, but for day to day the G19 is the perfect size. I have never had any problems with either gun. I have heard an occasional story of a problem Glock, and I think like cars, on occasion there are lemons out there. But all in all, it seems to me, that the Glock is the perfect handgun. There are a lot of people who detest them however.

I have only owned handguns for 3 years, and my first was a Glock and so I am used to the trigger which seems for old double action semi and revolver guys the biggest beef.

But to me the Glock does what a handgun is supposed to do. And the G19 is, I feel the best for the everyday user. I know that there a a lot of .40 fans and a whole bunch of .45 fans out there, but a G19 with 115 standard or 124 +P will do the job. I belive that .40, .357 SIGs, and .45 are best left to the pro when it comes to self defense. With the .9mmm I hit what I aim at, recoil is mild, and the right load is effective to over 80% stops.

I have two G19's. One is a housegun with a Surefire mounted on it, and the other is just plain for carry. Not a single malfunction in three years of regular use with FMJ and the Rem 115gr JHP +P. Good shooting with these guns is almost effortless. Every time I consider moving on to something else, I can find no reason to do so. L

I carry my G19 when I can't carry my 1911. Great choice
for CCW. I would carry the G19 exclusively,but I'm partial to my 1911's. If I'm going to be sweaty,the G19's the one
for sure. No corrosion,no worries. Weak caliber? Not if you
place your bullets right.

I've had a few 19's over the years and i'll never be without one in my collection. Great pistol, no problems with it.

Ditto.

I usually carry a 19 with a 26 as BU. I use the 19's mag as reloads for both pistols. Both have have never malfunctioned since new. It's been about a year and a half and three Gunsite courses. I'm very happy with them.

Back