Glock 17 vs Glock 19

With Glock threads having the dubious honor of going downhill faster than most, they're normally closed along with infractions given. Honestly, I should continue the tradition.

Instead, here's what I'm doing:

1.Spend time deleting/editing off-topic posts
2. Keeping the thread open....for the moment.
3. Allow a leap of faith the affected members have the smarts to take the hint to knock it off without any further need of moderation.

Catch my drift?

Fantastic.

Good talk.

clear, thank you

If capacity is a concern, and it will be primarily a home defense gun, not a carry gun I think that eliminates the 48 with the 10rnd capacity and not being able to use standard size mags. Leaves the 17, 19, and 19x

Last edited:
I think I would purchase an LE turn in 23, and a 9mm barrel.

I'm told the .40 mags work fine with 9, and can sure by 9mm mags too.

2 guns in one is kinda cool.
They can have reliability issues with conversion batrels. For a defensive gun probably not the best idea.

2 issues with the mags. Putting 9 is a 40 mag again. Has reliability issues. There is also an additional safety issue with the possibility of grabbing the wrong mag, or one you forgot had 9mm in it and firing it in the 40.

I have considered this mote than a few times though, but I wanted the Trifecta. G23, with a 9mm and 357sig conversion barrels..... would make a wicket cool range toy.

HOWEVER. Since the G48 is a thinner G19 with same capacity...If you forgo all other mag interchangeability...is the G48 better than the G19 and G17? I don't know, but I am having this pre purchase argument with my credit card right now.

I have been in the same spot multiple times over the past year, with the difference being I own a G19 and I was debating picking up a G48.

The point I would make here is the G48 is the same capacity as a G19 if you use the Shield Arms magazines. Are those magazines as reliable as Glock OEM magazines? You can read reviews all over the place. Recently I was looking at user reviews on Brownells. On the whole they are very positive. At the same time there’s a noticeable portion of 1 star reviews. It’s a weird dichotomy where you have people that say they are great and people that have terrible luck with them. The G48 also requires nonstandard lights if you plan to mount a light (might not matter to you).

In the end I had to debate to myself if the slight reduction in width of the G48 was worth potentially losing reliability when it comes to magazines. To me magazines are the soul of a semiautomatic firearm. I chose to just stick with the G19. I’m also of the opinion in owning a P365XL and owning what were formerly called compact sized double stacks that they are not the same in shooting. I think these larger micro pistols shoot very well for the size, but not as well as some people ascribe and less tolerant of poorer technique. Chris Baker describes it well in the video below (around the 9:30 mark).

https://youtu.be/mvODnCPs6fM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I’ll stop by the LGS and handle both before deciding
The G19 and G17 feel the same to me, but that's certainly not true for everyone. My wife shoots consistently better with a G19 than a G17 and says it fits her hand better.

I always try to get people at least hold a gun before buying it. Even better is to shoot it before buying, but that's not always possible. HOWEVER, in this case, assuming you live near some decently large city there's a good chance you could rent both--they're pretty common guns at the rental ranges.

The OP should rent or borrow the 17 and 19 and shoot both at the local range and then decide which one fits the bill. In my case the Gen3 9mm’s worked better for me with aftermarket sights and a little trigger work. YMMV, and that is part of the process of making the gun work for what you want to use it for.

Thanks Tunnelrat for your thoughts. Exactly where I'm at now, though I went with the non XL P365. Agree they are great, but not exact same ease as (full size) compacts.

If S15 mags didn't work for me, the G48 isn't worth it given other options.
If S15 do work for me, will SA be around forever? no.
Springs in the future? Support in the future?

It's clear the G48 with S15 mags is long term trouble.

BUT....that thin reduction does feel noticeable and nicer.

Ugh. I'm more leaning to the 19, but want to love the 48. Glock should really fix this on their own. The 19 and 48 wouldn't cannibalize each other and they wouldn't have to make another gun. Come on Glock!

The G48 and G19 would still be the two top size leaders.

Last edited:
I do agree the reduction in width is noticeable. FWIW you can buy extra springs from Shield Arms if that is a concern.

I don’t think we’ll ever see Glock rectify this on their own. They seem to be tied to polymer encased magazines. Other manufacturers seem to be taking up some of that space though.

Have you ever thought of buying an XL grip module and dropping your P365 guts into that? You’d essentially have a P365X. It’s not overly costly to try either.

Last edited:
I have been watching this thread since it's inception. I find so, so typical that so many posters just can't wait to veer off the main topic and start touting their own non Glock favorites.

I have some experience with Glocks dating back to the early 90's and I currently have several G17's from an early Gen1 up to a Gen3 and a new factory P80 clone. I also have had a Gen3 G19 for many years and a recent addition G48 with Shield Arms magazines. here are my thoughts on the matter:

Since the OP said it was primarily going to be used as a home defense gun, then it's a no-brainer, get the 17. Since size isn't going to be an issue the G17 would be great for a HD weapon. I love my G17's and mine from the oldest to the newest have been absolutely 100% reliable.

OTH, if the Op thinks that somewhere down the road he may want to use it as a carry gun, then the G19 would better suited for the job. Not because the barrel is shorter, but rather because the grip is a bit shorter and that is the hardest part of a handgun to conceal. I find no practical difference in accuracy potential between a G17 or G19. I have heard that using G17 mags in a G19 without the sleeve adaptor may lead to feeding issues as the mag can move around. Because of that I have a half dozen G17 mags that have the Glock sleeve installed and I personally have had zero issues when using them in my G19.

As for the G48, guys, the OP didn't mention a thing about wanting one, just whether he should get a G17 or G19. However, I will mention that the G48 with the Shield Arms 15 round magazine is hands down my favorite carry gun. And if the OP was interested in a carry gun that would be my recommendation.

I have been watching this thread since it's inception. I find so, so typical that so many posters just can't wait to veer off the main topic and start touting their own non Glock favorites.

In the grand scheme of things I think this thread has been pretty good. A number of the recommendations for other pistols were people suggesting the OP consider looking at a full-size M&P, which makes sense as the OP owns the compact M&P currently.

I prefer the 19. It carries good and shoots like a full size. The capacity difference doesn't bother me nearly so much when your talking 16 vs 18 rounds as it does when its 5 vs 7 rounds.

If you like the S&W M&P, why not just get a full sized M&P. It has a longer grip and holds 17+1 rounds, just like the glock 17. The feel of the glock grip and grip angle are less comfortable than the S&W.

If anyone is talking 19/17, the 48 is now game because it does what the 19 does but with a thinner/better grip.

Not a veer off at all that I bring it up.

If you like the S&W M&P, why not just get a full sized M&P. It has a longer grip and holds 17+1 rounds, just like the glock 17. The feel of the glock grip and grip angle are less comfortable than the S&W.

I like my S&W but honestly, I just want to try something different.

My preference is Gen. 3 Glock 17 and I carry IWB. As long as the a given platform is relatively thin sans obtrusive controls, I can hide the barrel and grip with the right holster. Either way, a 17 or 19 is a good choice.

I own both - gen 3s - there's really not that much difference between them. The 19 is a little more concealable. Both are about the same accuracy and both are very reliable.

I bought the 19 first new about 25 years ago. The 17 was a factory refurb I bought about 15 years ago. The only problem I ever had is a couple of early mags I bought used are split on the plastic cover.

If I could keep only one, it would probably be the 19 since it's a little more versatile due to conceal-ability.

G17 Gen. 3 - Currently seated in company vehicle in park. Yes I don’t have my carry belt on. Ran to do a quick errand.

Latest generation Blade-Tech tuck-able Klipt with claw attachment. It can be concealed.

Attachments

• CF1BA038-E44E-4EC8-8B7C-B0DBE9ACD7B6.jpeg
    CF1BA038-E44E-4EC8-8B7C-B0DBE9ACD7B6.jpeg
    823.8 KB · Views: 34
I like the G17 and G19 but I like the G45 the best, it's a 19 length slide with a 17 length grip. Shoots very nicely. I've not shot the G48 but I do have the G43X, same as G48 but shorter slide.

The 19 is IMHO the perfect compromise. It sees a good chunk of EDC for me (crossbreed supertuck horse hide) as well as my tactical sidearm. I have another one for home defense and range with an rmr, TLR7, threaded barrel, suppressor height sights, that hosts an AAC Evo. I have both gen 5 MOS 17, 34 and a 43, but the 19 configuration is my favorite, but I don’t have ham fists so it fits me well.

Back