Give Thanks, Respect and Honor--Memorial Day

DC

Moderator Emeritus
A lot of stuff is happening and going to come down the pike, but let's not forget the significance of this weekend.

Though they made it through their war, they served with distinction...my Father and my Uncle.
Dad entered as a 17 yr old Marine; he tricked his mom to sign his enlistment papers and he fought in the Pacific, wounded twice.
Uncle Tony flew bombers over Europe.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

My pop was too young (14) when the war started, but my Uncle Ron flew bombers. My Grandmother worked in the shipyard along with my aunt, who failed as a welder and was made a welding inspector instead! Three other uncles left high school early and worked in the shipyard where they learned shipfitting (and earned their diplomas via night school). God bless all who served our nation so well during those ominous times.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

My pop was a naval officer on a destroyer in WWII. He sunk a Jap sub one night on his watch with depth charges.

After the surrender he boarded Jap ships with .45 in hand to disarm the sailors.

Damn, I'm proud of him! And I'm sorry he is no longer with us this Memorial Day.

my dad was a telephone man, i think that was the maddest i ever saw him, when he tried to enlist and they told him no because his occupation was considered critical to the war effort. i think he did phone work at every gov't location in atlanta.
all 7 of my mothers brothers served overseas(plus dad's brother and various cousins, etc.)

hats off to all who served , in whatever capacity , in all wars. they are the ones who ensured that this country survived, and we need more like them. well done, friends, well done and thanks.
cmore

My father was a spook during Vietnam, we dont know what he did during the war or for the years after it... But my Grandfather was a regular GI. He was under Patton from North Africa all the way to Berlin. He is now living it easy in VA doing volunteer work for the Red Cross. He has some of the most chilling stories you will ever hear.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My father, Flt. Lt. Frank Knight RAF Costal Commnad, flew Wellingtons on anti-sub patrol from the start of WW2 to the very end. All my uncles, many of my aunts, also served - as volunteers from Argentina (more than 3000 members of the British Community in this country went to a very distant war - close to a third didn't come back alive). The 11th of November is their day of remembering, from the earlier 'Great War' (WW1, that was to be the last!).

My dad was in the 4th Marines in WW2. He fought on Iwo Jima, Roi-Namur, Tinian, and Saipan.He lived his life based on the values and lessons he learned as a Marine. He died last week.

I fully agree; we should all remember the millions who stood up for the USA and the Constitution. It's one major, if not "the" major reason we have our freedoms today, including the Second Amendment. God bless every soldier. Best.

My Dad joined the Navy as soon as they would take him - near the end of WWI (one). He was a crew member on a troop ship headed for Europe when the U.S. decided we needed no more manpower. The ship turned around 2 or 3 days from England and returned to the U.S.

During WWII, Dad's job with General Electric was "critical to the war effort". When he tried to volunteer he was refused.

He died in 1976 still feeling he had been "cheated" of the opportunity to fight for the America he loved so much. I don't remember a non-stormy day without our U.S. flag flying in the front yard. (chuckle) And two feet of snow on the ground was NOT considered "stormy"!

His most famous quote, "If them damned Communists come over here, my shotgun barrel will get red hot!"

I miss him.

TO ALL:
I had two uncles who fought in the Pacific in WWII, my dad was in the Korean conflict, and I served in RVN as an advisor. I, as many of us, remember our comrades, fallen and still serving, in arms. This day for us provides a satisfaction of rememberance and solmn gratitude. THANKS TO ALL VETERANS

FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

HJN

Memorial Day isn't a day of respect and remembrance just for departed veterans. I lost my only child (at the time) on May 4th, 1981 at the age of 21 months in a ridiculously preventable auto accident in a trailer court near Oak Harbor, Wa. Say a little prayer for all who are no longer with us.

My dad was a combat engineer, fought with Patton in N Africa, earned a DSC (Distinguished Service Cross) at Anzio, went on across Sicily and Italy. He passed in `90, his birthday was last Sunday, miss him a lot.

I've been posting here long enough to know that a lot of you guys are also vets (as am I), so I would extend my thanks to to you, too, my brothers and sisters in arms, for your service to our country.

Everybody have a great weekend, M2

This Memorial Day I will be remembering my Dad and several uncle's who all served valiantly. My Dad was a Treasury Agent (he would be very distressed at what that job has degraded into) and joined the Marine Corps before it was "in", he joined in 1939. He fought in several critical locations in the Pacific Theater, including Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. He was also in the Korean "Police Action" for the duration. He retired from the USMC in '61 and received his final 21 about a decade ago. (Well, dammit, now I'm getting misty about 2 days early, but I guess that's what Memorial Day is all about - the good memories and the bad.)

One of my uncles was in the Army Air Corp during WWII, flying an untold number of missions. After the war he became a test pilot for Lockheed. His hair-raising stories as a test pilot exceeded any of his stories about the war. He was one of the charter members of the OX5 Club - a very exclusive club of test pilots.

My grandfather was with the Army Air Corp in China during WWII. Radio operator on a B-24 plus some intelligence stuff. Out of 27 guys in his class only 5 came back from the war. My other grandfather was a marine but not during the war. They are both heroes to me. Thanks to all vets past and present.

My Dad was a gunner on a .30 Browning crew during WWII. I told his story here once before, so I won't go into details. Let's just say I'm proud of the Ol' Man. I wish he was still with us.

To the remembrance of

Jordan Heath-Private, SC Militia, wounded in the Siege of Charleston, Revolutionary War.

Sigmund Heath, Corporal, SC Militia, War of 1812

Cameron Quick, Private, 32nd Georgia Volunteer Infantry, War between the States

Edward Skinner, Sergeant, 5th Georgia Cavalry, War Between the States

Ronald W. Quick, Merchant Marine, Murmansk Convoy Route, WWII and Sergeant, US Army, Occupied Germany

Byron Quick Jr. Seaman 1st Class, US Navy, Korea

Caroll Skinner, USMC. Nicarauga, WWII.

Theus Delaigle Sp4, KIA Tet Offensive, Vietnam

Popcorn Saxon,USMC. KIA, Vietnam. Silver Star.

Alonzo Mims. Sergeant. Paratrooper, US Army. WIA, Purple Heart, Silver Star, Anzio, WWII.

Kurt McCray, USMC. WIA, Purple Heart, Guadalcanal, WWII.

Lt. Tenney, US Army, Phillipines, WWII.

Jeffrey Stokes, Private, USMC, KIA, Lebanon.

Ancestors, relatives, friends. You are not forgotten.

Our kids' School system is trying to make up a snow day tomorrow.. but I am letting the kids stay home, but I made them promise to go with me to the local veterans memorial tomorrow afternoon.

I'll be going to another LEO funeral tomorrow morning.

------------------
-Essayons

Grand Father WWI combat vet

Uncle Sheldon WWII D-day invasion vet

Uncle Marvin WWII combat vet 101st Airborne

Uncle Stanton GI Army combat vet Korea

Father GI 2nd Army Division combat vet Korea

Cousin David (Stanton’s kid) combat vet Vietnam

I am grateful and YES I proud.

------------------
to locate, close with and …

God Bless them each and every one! My Great Uncle Ernst who served with Bismark was an honorable man as well. Hats off to all of the men who have given their lives in the struggle of what they have been commanded to do for their country!
I served in the 70's "early" Spartacus says a beaucops in his post! I would like to thank all of the soldiers who have given their lives in an honorable fashion.
With deep respect, Hank

Back