Give me a reason to not buy a new Marlin

It sounds like what you're looking for is a late '50s / early '60s Model 336A.

They show up on auction sites very regularly and you can usually find at least one (among the dozens of other Marlins) in a decent size metropolitan area or city. Whether it will be .35 Rem or .30-30 is a coin flip. But if you keep flipping that coin, it will eventually land in your favor.

I have six Marlin rifles, four JM and two REP, actually seven including my 39A Mountie. I have found no issue with the two REP and factually they vie with one another for my all time favorites. As to Henry, just do not care for them, I do not need to justify my preferences, they have their own issues with QC and I prefer what I am most familiar with and know how to tune, maintain and shoot. As with any firearm purchase, look over the individual rifle and educate yourself on what to look for.

I've got Henrys, I've got Marlins, I got Winchesters and I got a Rossi. Side loading gate is nice, but not a show stopper. I have a specific style I'm looking for, and if I find it vintage JM, great. If I have to go new, well, it can be made to work, if there are issues.

Back