Gibbs .303 Jungle Carbine

What I meant was...

I could care less about the collector value of my Gibbs- what I meant was that the carbine, like the SMLE has historical value as they were the rifle issued to English and Commonwealth troops for years. In that vein, to me at least as a history buff, they have historical value. I didnt mean to anger a number of members here who see historical value=money value. I honestly could care less. I'd like to get my hands on a mauser G98, M1 Garand and a 1903 springfield. I'm not a huge fan of the Arisaka, so, I dont know if its worth trying to find one.

And, as far as the ammo goes, someone who posted here hit the nail on the head- if you're not familiar with the gun laws here in MA, they are amongst the most draconian in the US. In fact, there are a number of guns I would love to own, but cannot, because they are "banned" for sale in here in MA (Kimber products come quickly to mind).

Not to get off on a rant, but,The methodology that the Division of Public safety goes through to deem a firearm acceptable is completely ridiculous. It forces manufacturers to basically "donate" a firearm for testing with the knowledge that it wont be returned to the manufacturer. So, makers like Kimber just basically circumvent the whole process by just not sending any firearms for testing. Additionally, the process to get a CCL is also a practice in futility, in that not everyone who applies can get accepted. Even better, the Commonwealth gives the authority to either accept or reject the application for a permit to your local Chief of Police. They can reject the applicant for any reason, either real or imagined. But I digress.

I will check in with the local gun shop to see what they can do. Thanks for all the replies guys!

addendum: I had kind of assumed that, with the litigation being what it is in this Country, that ammo manufacturers would "download" certain calibers for fear it might damage a firearm or injure someone. I've fired some pretty stout 30-06 rounds that were handloads and found they were more than sufficient, power-wise. It makes me wonder what was issued to the troops in WWII and Korea...

Last edited:
Thing is...

I know this rifle wasnt a collectors item- I just bought it as a shooter. Plus, I figured I have to start my military firearm collection somewhere.

As an aside, I found alot of useful info on the .303 (and Japanese 7.7 round as well) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.303_British
here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine

And, in my search for articles on this rifle, I found this interesting tidbit on the original jungle carbines- here's an excerpt from that article:

"I tried everything I knew to make the Jungle Carbine shoot right. Nothing helped. I began to read articles and a booklet specifically on the Jungle Carbines. It was then that I learned why the British government declared the Jungle Carbine obsolete in 1949; They found out that the thing wouldn’t shoot straight. According to one article, Great Britain spent over $9 million to try and make the Jungle Carbine accurate. $9 million was a considerable investment in the 1940's just to accurize your rifle. The British and the Jungle Carbine were on almost every continent in the world. Literally thousands of small arms experts in the British service have tried and failed to remedy the Jungle Carbine’s accuracy faults.

By the 1960's thousands of the Jungle Carbines had been dumped on the American market. ( I got one of them. ) Thousands of U. S. shooters found out what the British military already knew – the Jungle Carbine just ain’t[sic] gonna shoot straight."

I dont know if the above observation is accurate- my Gibbs seems to shoot some fairly tight groups at 100 yds and under with iron sights. Then again, this is not an original specimen.

Plus, I figured I have to start my military firearm collection somewhere.

Now get a C&R FFL so you can order your milsurps directly from the wholesalers. That is if your commie block state allows it.:eek:
$30 for 3 years. simple BATF application form to fill out. If you want to collect milsurps it's well worth it.

I didn't think my No. 5 was so bad but I'm not such a great shot anyway and I've never had more than a 100-yard range to try it out on. I somehow wonder where such astronomical figures quoted above come from. The No. 5, even thought it may have been inaccurate and kicked a lot, continued to be used by the British in the Far East until replaced by the S.L.R. But they also used No. 4 rifles, US M1 carbines and Browning shotguns for good measure.

Here's another resource for you:
http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/
Pages & pages full of scads & scads of info.

So your #5 is a #4 1/2?:rolleyes: So what, if it does what you want & it was a fair price you paid.
Personally I've owned several #4's & have always had a sneaking desire for a reasonably priced #4 "Tanker" (A shortened rifle with full length wood), so they never really existed & Monty didn't chase Rommel out of Tobruk with one, that's fine as long as I paid for a repro of something that didn't exist.:eek:

Hope you get some ammo soon so you can enjoy your rifle (despite all the horse mouthed comments...Um Cheapshooter, you sound kinda like you might be an arfcommer. please tell me I'm wrong. Cuz ahem....you know how those "members" of the shooting community are)

I always liked the look of the No. 5 but I got a Gibbs No. 7 jungle carbine in .308, I obtained it as part of a multi gun deal. And God almighty did it bloody some sholders at the range:D Not the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, though that may be more from the flinching...but fun. And while hardly NONE of my rifle was "original", it had a new(er) manufacture barrel (of course) a reproduction flash hider and enfield sling. A refinished stock (the stock itself may had seen some WWII action)

The receiver, stock and action I believe were the only things from an "original" No.4. It still had LOTS of britt. marking and stamps, with of course the addition of the Gibbs Rifle Co. stamp. While not true "original" museum pieces, they are (fairly) faithful reproductions and fun collectors items none the less. I also have a absolutely BEAUTIFUL arsenal new Ishy I stumbled across, in the dark dusty back room of the local gun shop for $165:D (excellent shooter buy the way)

As far as ammo...have you tried a local Army-Navy surplus store? To avoid purchasing ammo online, I found Traildust Army Surplus. 45min from my house, he has an isle FULL of new manufacture imported ammo. Brass cased, clean in large quantity and in about every obscure caliber I needed including 7.7x58, 7.5 swiss, 8x57JS (hard to find around here in new ammo) and of course, the .303Britt. He even had nice clean, non corrosive 7.5 french for my MAS 36....at only $13.20 a box:eek:

Last edited:
Cheapshooter, you sound kinda like you might be an arfcommer. please tell me I'm wrong. Cuz ahem....you know how those "members" of the shooting community are)

Member, yes. But don't join in often! (Had to look it up to see if I was being insulted or not!:D)
Just a collector, and shooter of milsurps, among other things. Missing my original 1947 No. 5 that I foolishly traded for a Hakim! Most of my comments were to inform the OP that if he wanted a real Jungle Carbine the were available if you look around. Don't know what he paid for the Gibbs, but originals in any kind of serviceable shape go for about $400-$500 around here.
The Gibbs rifle he bought is probably a better shooter than an original, just not the real thing. I have a non-original I bought years ago. A Universal M1 Carbine. Fun little gun, great shooter, but I don't even try to compare it with the real thing.

Hey Jet, bieng from the Western part of the peoples republic of Massachusetts myself, My only suggustion is to look around the ammo tent at the Big E gunshow, Which I believe is coming up in March.

You know....

I had almost forgotten about that....the only issue I have with that show is that you end up being down almost 20$ just to get into the show! Its 7$ to park and then 12$ a person to get in. But, there are some bargains to be had, so, I suppose its worth it.

Back