Ghost Ring sights for handguns

but don't let me stop you.

Fear not. There wasn't even the faintest risk of that.

It's NOT subjective.

Yes it is.

I don't much care what goes on in competitions, unless I'm competing. And then, as with now, I only care about what works for me.

If that means I happen to choose a sight style different to the norm it is because of my subjective views of both that norm and my personal choice.

I'm sorry if that is causing you upset.

Well then I'm sure you'll start to see more of these sights in bullseye competition because YOU have decided that the design of the sights doesn't matter as long as it's what you like.

Doesn't upset me in the least. You can duct tape a straw on it and call it a scope for all I care. I thought we were here to openly discuss gun related subjects, not agree with everybody about everything. What would be the point of that?

You can't really call it a ghost ring. The ghost ring is so-named because of its close proximity to the eye and the fact that it is so large, it almost completely disappears when a RIFLE is shouldered. Mounted on a handgun, it's kinda hard for it to do that, huh? My God, where do the people with open minds converse? :confused:

Well then I'm sure you'll start to see more of these sights in bullseye competition because YOU have decided that the design of the sights doesn't matter as long as it's what you like.

LOL!
Good one!

So, let me summarise:...
I state that I like and am presently satisfied with my choice and that what others use or claim is better carries less weight than my own experiences, with my own gun.
Meanwhile, you interpret that as my being someone who will not rest until the face of bullseye shooting has been disfigured forever.

Seriously... that was quality!
I now have tea on my screen!!

Anyway, fine by me: I don't want to get someone's thread closed over this...:rolleyes:

" You can't really call it a ghost ring. The ghost ring is so-named because of its close proximity to the eye and the fact that it is so large, it almost completely disappears when a RIFLE is shouldered."

Now that is the first thing that you've said that I can actually agree with. About the proper use of the name "ghost ring", you are correct, sir.

An aperture sight mounted such that it is not close to the eye should probably simply be called an "aperture sight". OK ?

About the rest of it.....well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Regardless, believe what you will. The rest of us will go on actually DOING it.

Any further discussion is probably pointless, because it seems, from your comments (and the tone in which they have been delivered), that YOU are not open to thinking anywhere but solidly INSIDE the box. If you don't understand or accept alternate concepts, then arguing or discussing the finer points of them is quite useless. So be it.

An aperture sight is best when close to the eye so diffraction effects can cause you to automatically center the front sight and target.
A pistol (or 1903 Springfield) puts it too far away for that to work the best.
But hey, if you like it, you like it.

I will note that a one-time leading proponent of the pistol aperture sight, D.R. Middlebrooks, went from that to the wide V "express" sight, now back to the square notch patented by Mr Patridge in 1909. He will sell you a V notch, but his first line is the square notch. No apertures available, even though his was one of the best if you didn't mind a little bulk.

I see a number of U notch sights on the market too, meant to be paired with a bead, fibre optic, or tritium night sight. Probably fast, but I see no reports of bullseye shooters using them.

" An aperture sight is best when close to the eye so diffraction effects can cause you to automatically center the front sight and target."

It may well be "best" that way (a subjective term). However, that does not go to prove that it cannot work with the aperture distanced from the eye. In fact, as I said before, the eye will centre the front "sight" (or in my case, the target beyond) in the aperture automatically, regardless. The only caveat being that the aperture, placed at a distance, cannot be so small as to prevent a clear view through it. Nevertheless, I use a (front-mounted) aperture of 0.215" in diameter. I am using this system on a short-barreled Mauser carbine (17.5" barrel). My rear "U-notch" sight is ahead of the receiver, on the barrel, giving a relatively short sight radius (which, in and of itself, is not the most desirable arrangement, of course). Works very well for me, though.

The efficacy of an aperture, placed some distance from the eye, is EASY to prove. Simply create a test "rig", consisting of an aperture of some sort, placed a given distance from the eye..... and use it to sight on an aiming point, such as a (suitably sized) dot on a sheet of paper. You will see that your eye will still work to centre the dot in the aperture. Add a "rear sight", which could be a U-notch, or even another aperture....and you have a sighting system. Add adjustability for windage and elevation.... and you have a very usable sighting system. The advantage being that it gives an unrestricted view of the target (no front post to subtend the target face).

As I said, it works very well for me. Might not be someone else's cup of tea, though.....which is just fine.

The system works, period. There are still folks who think the only bullet that can kill big game is made of solid lead, and they sound just like "that guy" so take criticism for what it's worth. My application is big game hunting and there is no open sight system that works better for me than a f/o or gold bead front and aperture rear. For anybody with an open mind and aging eyes it is at least worth a try. But that is just MHO :cool:

Years back I put a "circular-ish ring sorta sight" on my SKS.

See, I am staying out of the whole controversy about what to call the darn things :D

I mention that carbine since that rear sight was at about the same distance from my eye as it would be on a pistol. And I just wasn't satisfied. I could not get a precise sight picture since I was never sure that I had the top of the post in the exact middle of the circle.

Now, this was for careful aiming. If I was using it for snap shooting at close ranges, I might have found it just right. So I am reading all your responses, even the rude ones, with interest.

Bart Noir

I see a number of U notch sights on the market too, meant to be paired with a bead, fibre optic, or tritium night sight. Probably fast, but I see no reports of bullseye shooters using them.

Yes, the http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Front-Sight.html
Front and rear http://www.10-8performance.com/products/Glock-Rear-Sight.html

For me (because different sights work for different people with aging eyes..etc) I can say I am impressed with the U Notch rear and BRASS BEAD front. Brass bead you say..?...Yes, just like my first .22 Rifle, a brass bead.

I recently built up a Glock 19 out of parts for my 13 year old daughter. :eek:

Mostly Lonewolf with a KKM barrel. Bought the bare frame from Glockmeister before the Frenzy.

My daughter actually choose these sights. We are a shooting family (5 kids, 4 are adults; we all have carry permits, some do weekend gun games..we reload and between us probably own 80 handguns) so I asked her what kind of sights she wanted. She found these on Google. Dad ordered them and I must admit, they are real easy on my eyes.!

I was surprised at the U notch and brass bead contrast. I'am old school on sights but I must admit I am changing my mind. My old eyes pick up these sights very well. Now if I can just sneak this FrankenGlock out of her room (no chance). ;)

opz0k4.jpg

dxkd5i.jpg

Back