Getting the hots for a .41magnum

Yeah i kick myself for not buying a 41 mag when i had the chance, also the 41 mag is the "happy medium" between the 357 and 44 mags.

If you are a reloader, you're OK. I am not. Bought a really nice Blackhawk in 41 mag a few years back. Bought a box of shells and headed for the range. After the first cylinderful, I said to myself, this is no fun ! Since there was no factory lesser load like there is with .357 mag and .44 mag and I don't reload, sold it.:mad:

I passed up a chance to buy a 41 magnum Ruger Blackhawk , Dirty Harry had come out, everyone and their brother including me wanted the most powerful handgun on earth , the gun was sitting in the dealers case , and all that was showing on the tag was $150.00 and cal. 4.....the rest was hidden. When the dealer pulled it out for me to look at I saw it said cal. 41 Magnum ... not knowing what a 41 mag. was and thinking I wanted a 44 magnum , I didn't buy it ! I regret not buying it to this day.... three screw 41 magnum Blackhawks are sweet . I was a dumb kid influenced by the movies !
I did get a S&W model 58 , 41 magnum , shortly there after and learned about them . I reload and cast bullets to make it extremely versatile .
Older and wiser now ,
Gary

Here's a pic of my 3-screw Ruger in .41 Mag. It's a fairly recent addition to the clan, and by far, the easiest to carry all day here on the farm. It was a GB buy, in about 95%+ condition when I bought it. Superb condition I think you'll agree for a 1966 built single action.

It's accurate to sub-2" gps at 25 yds, short bbl'd for ease of carry & with that famous early 3-screw action, it's a joy to have by my side mounted or afoot.

I carry it in my home built rendition of the old Tom Threepersons open top, fitted tight enough to eliminate the need for a thong.

Last edited:
I too have longed for this round after hearing the tales of great accuracy, light recoil. I just cant seem to part with the money for a round I can't find locally. That being said I own a 22 hornet, and have my eye on a ruger lcr in 327 Federal.

All things being equal, there is a difference if you shoot standard factory loads in both the 44 mag and 41 mag. I don't think it's a huge difference in terms of feel.

I can't relate recoil compared to a 44mag, but a relatively moderate load in a .41 is about the same as a really hot .357 in my experience. A hot .41, well, it has a lot more recoil in my loads. Moderate in a .41 is a 210-220gr lead/plated bullet around 800-850 fps, and hot for me is a 210gr jacketed bullet around 1450fps. A hot .357 is a 158gr jacketed bullet around 1300fps.

The real problem with the .41 mag is that when someone gets the .41, he immediately wants to turn in into a "sub caliber" .44 mag. That alone prevents many from enjoying and getting the best use from their .41 mag. I'm a .41 mag fan and consider it the ideal (for myself) whitetail revolver. I've taken plenty with the .357 and the .44 mags so I know what I'm looking at. I found that a good 210 grain JHP at 1380 fps (+ or -) is relatively pleasant shooting, curtains on deer and great to handload. After killing two bucks with a 225 grain swc at 1450 fps, I dropped the load. It didn't kill as well as the JHP although it would be a fine wild hog round. The .41 mag should be enjoyed for what it is and not criticized for what it is not.

I've owned at least three 1970s era S&W M57s and at least two OM black hawks. I let the 4-5/8" Ruger get away from me but still have the 6-1/2" BH. One 6" 57 and a 4" 57 left home but I've still got a fine 6" 57. Recoil doesn't bother me and that includes the .44 mag. I'm also sure I had a NM .41 BlackHawk or two at some point in my muddled past.

Yep, I'm a fan of the .41 and like it a great deal. But I'll never try to turn it into a sub caliber .44 mag or a super sized .357.

I found that a good 210 grain JHP at 1380 fps (+ or -) is relatively pleasant shooting,
Hanshi...I gotta say it...you are one tough guy to honestly make that statement. No offense is meant...that level of recoil in my BH's and the Smith really rings my chimes.

I agree, it's a hellofa caliber, versatile, accurate, but definitely a reloader's proposition. Best Regards, Rod

The .41 mag should be enjoyed for what it is and not criticized for what it is not.

Indeed, and I suspect most .41 fans are the same way. Its just when everyone starts trying to justify it against the .357 or .44 that the cherry picking starts. Personally, I don't think the .41 needs justification for existence, just like the .40S&W doesn't... it is what it is.

Hanshi...I gotta say it...you are one tough guy to honestly make that statement. No offense is meant...that level of recoil in my BH's and the Smith really rings my chimes.

I agree, it's a hellofa caliber, versatile, accurate, but definitely a reloader's proposition. Best Regards, Rod
Rodfac, recoil from single actions has never bothered me as the revolver rolls up in the hand rather than back into the thumb web like most double action revolvers. that "hot" swc load gets only 18 grains of 2400 so exceeds the velocities usually quoted. I was surprised when I chronographed it. For lead bullet loads I use 18 grains of 2400 in the .41 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt. Arthritis in my hands/wrists now make it unpleasant to fire many "hot" loads in one sitting, especially the Smiths. The single actions are still not bad.

Rodfac, recoil from single actions has never bothered me as the revolver rolls up in the hand rather than back into the thumb web like most double action revolvers. that "hot" swc load gets only 18 grains of 2400 so exceeds the velocities usually quoted. I was surprised when I chronographed it. For lead bullet loads I use 18 grains of 2400 in the .41 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt. Arthritis in my hands/wrists now make it unpleasant to fire many "hot" loads in one sitting, especially the Smiths. The single actions are still not bad.

Oddly enough, I've always considered recoil from my Vaquero (with heavy loads) quite punishing... but roughly the same loads in a .41 Bisley I had, not so much. Same-same with heavy .41 loads in my Smiths vs my Dan Wesson. Grip shape, grip profile, grip material... and, at the end of the day... everyone's individual shooting hand, handle recoil differently. :)

Grip shape, grip profile, grip material... and, at the end of the day... everyone's individual shooting hand, handle recoil differently.
Yep, gotta agree with this as well...for me, the single action grip, as originally devised, handles recoil better than the DA revolver grip as produced by S&W and Colt.

That hump on their DA/SA's, IMHO, was added to facilitate DA use for quick follow up shots. For precision, in my hands at least, it's SA triggers that do better. And any S&W or Colt has a better SA trigger break than my beloved Rugers or Colt SSA's.

Of late, I've been doing a lot of DA shooting with a Smith M18 .22 revolver. More to improve my efforts with a Smith M60 with a 3" tube, (a regular carry piece when headed for the big city). But even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut as just a few minutes ago, I managed a 1/2" gp for six shots from the 10 yd line on my home range. CCI Sub-Sonic .22 LR HP's filled the charge holes... and you'll no doubt agree that the gun really likes them. Too, I was having a exceptionally "good eyes" day.

All of that blather notwithstanding, the .41 is, was and will continue to be an outstanding caliber for a multitude of legit uses.

Best Regards, Rod Pic of the Smith M18 .22

Last edited:
I'm a caliber junkie, I love reloading for all my firearms especially the odd balls.
Never had a .41 mag. so it is starting to call out to me.
Problem is the only one I'm interested in is the Smith 657 pre-lock mountain gun. Probably going to take a while to find but in the meantime I'd like some insight from those who own one.:)
Ive owned three different 41 magnums two model 57's and 1 nickle 58. (wish I still had that one) Their a great addition to any collection. I'd go for it

Gary

I was already handloading pistol ammo when a friend offered to sell me a Model 57 that he had gotten in trade. I sort of like having something different and the “lack of power” compared to a .44 Magnum didn’t bother me at all.

The fact that it is a “niche” or “oddball” means that you might be able to get a bargain on the gun or ammo/components. About the only bargain I have gotten at a gun show was on .41 Magnum dies and factory brass.

I’ve kicked around getting a stainless Ruger Bisley Blackhawk to have a second gun in this chambering. I’d really like to have a Marlin 1894 in .41 but those are very dear. I passed up an 1894 Cowboy on Gunbroker that sold for $1,300; I should have snapped that one up.

Back