Getting Started in Self Defense?

The best way to learn martial arts on the cheap I have found is through college/university clubs. Many will allow people from outside the university to join to boost their numbers. Check your local schools out and see if they have any clubs you can join. I would look for a club taught by an adult, either a faculty or staff member at the school that is also a martial artist or outside volunteer teacher rather then a club with a college student doing th eteaching. Mainly because th estudent will eventually graduate and leave and the club will either dissolve or quality will suffer.

I have trained Aikido in universit clubs in two different countries with some incredible instructors.

I would worry less about what art to study until you find out what is available that fits your schedule and price range. Not every art is taught in every location. What I generally suggest to new people looking to learn for self defense is to find a school that allows you to practice what you learn against a resisting opponent that tries to stop you from doing th etechniques. Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Kyokushinkai Karate, and Muay Thai are all well known for this type of training and can get you to a decent level relatively quickly.

I love Aikido, but it takes a long time before you can use it to defend yourself, most especially if you have no other experience against a resisting opponent.

After four black belts, two additional teaching certificates and lesser belts/ranks in about 6 other martial arts, I'll just offer this:

Go to a school where the students can do what you want to do; where they move like you want to move. There are only so many ways to hit and kick, so find a style/teacher/method that agrees with your ideas of what you want to do, and start learning it.

If you find holes in the system, find additional training to fill them. But eventually, your base training should be something you LIKE.

FWIW,

Larry

Brand x martial art discussions are kind of like caliber wars. Anything you get hit with is going to hurt in the end. If your talking about martial arts training, observe some classes and have conversation with the instructors. Good training from a competent teacher will benefit you more than finding the "best style." Look for something affordable that will meet your needs. You mentioned already being fit - that's a really good start and more than most people bring to the table when they start this journey. Train two or three times a week and accept that you'll only be your best when you practice often. If your talking about firearms training,(some people distinguish between the two) good instruction and good equipment are a must.

With that out of the way - self defense encompases so much more than martial arts or firearm manipulation skills. Self defense is your mind, body, and spirit working together to create a perfection of self. It's getting to know yourself - your abilities, your limitations. So much of self defense is the development of your warrior spirit. Without a warrior spirit, or mindset, or whatever terminology floats your boat, physical skills are useless. In a nutshell, self defense begins inside your head.

In general, forget Tae Kwon Do or most oriental-style martial arts, i.e. "karate lessons." Their usefulness in a vicious street encounter is vastly overrated, thanks to Hollywood movies and "Walker Texas Ranger." Modern "karate" is about as useful on the street as reading tea leaves. It used to not be that way, but it is now.

BJJ is certainly more realistic and practical, but still requires a certain amount of size and strength to really be effective, as well as a LOT of practice, and it's worthless against multiple opponents. If you're a smaller than average guy and have had a few weeks of BJJ, and find yourself being viciously, savagely attacked by a 6 foot, 220 lb. brute, you're going down, maybe permanently.

I don't know anything about Krav Maga. Get on Youtube and check it out. I've heard some good things about it.

In ANY martial art - karate, BJJ, Krav Maga, whatever... 90% of what you get out of it comes from you, not the art itself. It's not like you're going to learn some "martial arts techniques" that will magically enable you to juggle thugs like dice in a cup. Um, no.

But to simply augment your defensive ability, think outside of this martial arts box. A good start is a good pepper spray, and there's probably nothing better than the Fox Labs 5.3 Cone Mist. I love this video of two bouncers trying it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kAkHPuBM8U

Learn to use it right... don't wave it around in front of you, where it can be dodged or knocked out of your hand. And DON'T put it on your key ring!

Another BIG thing that can help is old fashioned situational awareness. Be aware of what's going on around you, and adapt accordingly.

And, of course, practice and get training with your firearm. Good luck.

If you plan in grappling yes tkd or karate is useless. If you're not there is definitely use for them. Literally to say they are useless for street fights is a wrong and ignorant opinion. A lot also depends on your instructor. Like someone said, it's like a caliber war. Just learn to effectively wield what you have.

begining

Your going to get a lot of people give you differnt arts and methods. I have studied different arts and self defense and an instructor for 35 years. You want to fgo to a directory old days phone book. Look at what school are available (dont forget the Y). Go and check them out, intervjew the instructor. Ask about credentials where study and there main focus.

Back