Getting started in clay games....

A coupla things, Adventurer...

Doubles can be a trap for the unwary and inexperienced. I've never heard of a Harvan and regard unknown makers as unknown factors. A decent pump gun( Mossies qualify) will give you years of service, maybe decades or generations. I opine the Mossy isn't the best choice, but it is a viable one, especially considering military pay scales.

Of course, if you can locate a used Remington 870, that would be the one to go with.

Hope this helps...

One minor issue about clay games and autoloaders. At some clubs, any hull which hits the ground belongs to the club. So if you want to reload, then you'll need to use either a pump or a break-open. Even if you don't want your hulls, with a pump or a break-open, you don't have to go picking them up...

M1911

Harvan?

Are you sure it wasn't a Charles Daly. Very common name for Imported shotguns.

One thought about autos/pumps on the trap field. Be sure you do not pelt the shooter to your right with empty shells. This happens with some autos and Pumps and is considered poor etiquette.

If you are considering getting into trap I suggest looking into a used remington 1100 or 870. Mossys and other lesser brands just do not hold up. A lot of trophys have been won with the 870.

Geoff Ross

Dave McC:

I went to the range this evening, shot a 11, 11, and a 16 under the lights. Not exactly Olympic scores, but far better than what I shot last time. I think I'm definately on to something with increasing the cheek-to-comb clearance so I can see down the barrel. You're right about the stock length, though - even pre-mounting the gun was a bit difficult.

I think I will try one of the Jack West adjustable stocks. I hate to start carving on my factory stock, just in case I decide to sell it someday.

The pattern board was unavailable today, but I definately will try it soon.

Regarding the thread about gas guns: I've got a small metal "clip" (can't remember where I got it) that prevents ejection of spent shells. Won't work for doubles, but works pretty good for singles trap. I suppose you could do the same thing with a heavy rubber band.

Russ

Thanks for the notes, I wish I could read my handwriting better but I'm pretty sure it WASN'T a Charles Daly!

The Mossberg is head of the line for the moment, although I've decided to hold out until the Spring Grand comes here to Phoenix with all the associated vendors a week from Monday.

C'mon down, it should be a great shoot from what I understand.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Well you guys said that if I bought an 870 for all around use, you would not get snobby when I showed up with my plastic 28" black pump. I have trap shot 3 boxes to date with a modified choke and have broke 30 total (or so) (ouch). I have never shot the gun at a non moving target and have no idea where it its, I have never had a lesson (really, 30/75, we thought you are a teacher). I still love it though.

It feels great when the clay disappears into an orange dust cloud. It feels lousy when a small piece breaks off and the path is diverted a tiny bit.

Hube, glad you've having fun. I suggest getting a lesson or two from someone that knows both wingshooting/shotguns and how to teach same. Not all good shots know WHY they're good.

BTW, have you patterned that fine, outstanding shotgun? Once you know that it's shooting where you're looking, more clays explode and morale improves(G)....

Back