Getting P7M8

LiquidTension

I've decided to get P7M8 as my first handgun (and carry gun). Where is the best place to get them? SOG had them for ~$670 in a recent flyer. I'll have to order it since nowhere around here has them. Any suggestions on where I can find one cheaper? thanks

- LT

If you can find one cheaper than $650 I doubt it would be worth buying. That's a pretty good price considering they normally retail for @ $1000-$1100.

SOG?

What/who is SOG? Do they have a website? How can I contact them? I want a second M8, and $650 is the best price I have seen in awhile, used or refurb....

If this is your first handgun, then P7 might not be such a great idea. It is wonderfull gun and this is what I carry, but it demands considerable amount of dedicated training due to the fact that the manual of arms of this pistol is so radically different.
I think that you should first get profficient (unless you already are, and than pardon me for lecturing) with "standard" pistol or revolver and then move on to more "exotic" choices.

I've been looking for a P7M13, so I'll give you some of the educational tidbits I've learned.

First of all, be careful of refurbs (refurbished models). They are old police trade ins, and can be distinguished by the mill mark (where it looks like they shaved some metal off) on the right side of the frame. Many have a purple tint to the frame. I'm not saying they are bad, but they are considered to be worth less than non-refurbs.

Secondly, beware of P7PSP's. Again, I'm not saying they are inferior, but they have the mag release on the bottom of the butt, rather than behind the trigger like the P7M8. Some like them, but I don't.

Finally, check out http://www.gunbroker.com, http://www.auctionarms.com, and http://www.gunsamerica.com. They usually have P7M8's for sale at good prices.

Oktagon - let me clarify. My 21st birthday is coming up shortly. I have plenty of experience with handguns - some of them my father's, some of them my friends'. Everything from revolvers to semis, even a TC in 35 Rem. I'm not new to handguns, this will just be the first one that is truly MINE. In my safe right now is a S&W .38 (pre sellout, of course). I recently returned a USP .40 to a friend that loaned his to me. I understand the differences between the P7 and most other semis (as far as I can without actually having owned one anyway). I was trying to decide between a Pro Carry and the P7 but chose the H&K because it's getting harder to find and the Kimber will still be there next year (or whenever I have more money).

KYI has P7s for $680. Anyone found one for under $650???

Thanks

I bought a P7 as my first handgun, and I had no previous experience with any type of gun. It's not that complicated. You guys make it sound like quantum physics. :)

Liquid; While looking for one under $650 sounds like a good idea, I don't think spending a few dollars more for something you really want is such a bad idea. This isn't like shopping around at wallyworld for something everyone else carries.Don't get me wrong, but I can't recall the number of times I thought I could find something right around the next corner...just a thought:)
By the way there are at least 2 newer ads in gunsamerica today. One is a refurb I am guessing for $695 and the other is like new for $995.

I found a used re-furb for $525. There are good deals out there if you have the patience. As far a being complicated to operate whats so hard about squeeze and shoot?

Gotta go with M16!

There is nothing at all strange about the P7 series. You hold on to it like you would any other gun, firm, and you pull the trigger! The way the gas-retarded action work is sophisticated, but you don't need to know why or how it works as long as it does.

There is an excellent deal over at the hkpro forums. $1000 for a P7M8 with only 50 rounds through it, 3 mags, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

All of you that are saying "spend a little bit more and get X" need to realize that $650 IS a little bit more for me. I called SOG and they are out of the M8s so I have to look somewhere else or go back to the Pro Carry. I've already checked the auction sites and I didn't find any. There was a VP70 for $500 but the few P7s were $900+. Oh well, I guess that's another one of those guns that I'll only dream about....

I bought a refurb for cheaper than you would believe, and it did fine by me! P7 is the best 9mm ever made. I'd buy another one if I could pay the going rate. They are much easier than they are cracked up to be, not to mention accurate beyond reason. Fast as lightnin too.

I'd only buy a P7 is I or a trustworthy friend actually saw/handled the gun for me. $600 is a lot of money. they pop up here and there around here. Be patient.

Don't give up on the P7. If you keep looking you will find one in your price range. You will most likely be looking at a police trade in, but who knows you may find a new one. I bought mine new in box for $750 about three years ago. I passed on a refurb for $600 a year and a half ago. You probably won't find a good deal on Gunsamerica or on any H&K boards. You are looking for someone that wants to sell their pistol and either doesn't mind putting a low price on it, or doesn't know what the max is that they can get for their gun. Or they don't care.

By the way, what is a conventional pistol action. Would that be single action only with safety, single action only with safety and decocker, single action only no safety, double action only, double action/single action with decocker or double action/single action with safety and decocker? Have I missed any? Probably. Anyway, every pistol has a manual of arms. If you have never picked up a pistol, why would the P7 be any harder to learn than some other manual of arms. To me it is the second most simple. The first being a double action revolver or a double action only semi-auto. Those are point, pull trigger. The P7 is point squeeze, pull trigger. I think the P7 is easier to learn than most semi autos. One control drops the slide and functions as the safety, instead of two. And the trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot.

I love my P7's and I am VERY accurate with them...
The trigger is not the best I have ever touched.
There are alot better triggers out there...
(I have been spoiled by Match 1911 and USP triggers)
Even so it is a very sweet gun and I would NEVER sell
mine....
Get the P7 while you can, they are fast becoming expensive
and hard to find..

Back