Getting new Ruger GP 100

When I decided to buy a GP100, I did a lot of research while I was looking for one. I wanted a 3" Wiley Clapp, but ended up getting a slightly used fixed sight 3" instead.
I'm very familiar with S&W K and L frames, having owned both. I read over and over about the GP trigger being inferior to the S&W's, so I was surprised to find my 3" GP trigger to rival the well used trigger of my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece...
As for grips, my GP came with the rubber Hogue. Someone above claimed that grip fits nobody's hand. While I searched for some compact Lett's, I shot a few boxes of Magnum ammo with the Hogues, and found they worked great for my medium sized hand...very comfortable. However, I do carry this revolver concealed sometimes, and the compact Lett's are obviously superior for that, and are also comfy for me. I did, however, buy a set of wood Hogues of the same pattern as the OEM rubber...these didn't work out so great, as they are thicker in the web of the hand, I would have to sand them to make them work for me.
As far as the adulation some have for the Security Six, I used to own a 4" Security Six, and find the GP superior in every way...I shoot it better, too.

A guy seen my 6" 1/2 lug and wanted to make a trade... I like what he had, he liked what I had... now I have the GP100 Match Champion.

Match-Champion-2-1.jpg

You know they make the GP100 .22LR in a half lug like this one....

Attachments

• GP100-.22LR.jpg
    GP100-.22LR.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 18
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
There are other GP100's without the full underlug. Like this puppy, a model GPF-340 from 1989. This is the one that outshoots my Match Champion.
Nice!

'Course, esthetically speaking, the best thing about that bad boy is the conspicuous absence of the dreaded Hillary Hole. :eek:

Value added right there. :cool:

Ruger was in the business of putting printed warnings on the barrel day 1 of the GP100 which is 20 years before the "Hillary hole."

Bill Ruger thought very publicly that America shouldn't tolerate mass shootings and accidents.

But maybe you like all that print on your revolver?

Back