Getting new Ruger GP 100

Prof Young

So after researching, I've landed my 357 search on a Ruger GP 100 with the six inch barrel and the six shot capacity. Got a price more than $100 off the MSRP. Should be in soon. Gotta love it.

Life is good.
Prof Young

You will love it. I bought mine used, had to send it back to Ruger. they worked it over, no charge. It now has a nicer trigger, almost as nice as a well-broken in S&W. but more importantly it is the most accurate revolver I have. And I consider myself a S&W guy.

David

Great choice. Picked mine up used in a local pawn shop. Got a good discount because the rear sight was broken. $10 for a new sight and I was back in business.

Best thing about the GP is that all the innards are SS. Easy to do a trigger job.
Bought my 4" 35ish years ago when they first came to Canada. Haven't had to do anything but a trigger job.

I love the Ruger revolvers, but I'm not very found of the barrel's underlug. I wish Ruger had taken the Security-Six, gave it a little more meat in the forcing come and then left it alone! I'm also a bit unhappy with the balance. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but it's a bit heavy for camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. For range shooting and home defense it's fine. Again, I love the Security-Six; also, the S&W 66. I have two 686s (an -0 version and a -6 Model (both 6-inch)), and several of the Security-Sixes, and the 6-inch models are wonderful. And though I also have some 4-inchers as well, I wish I'd picked up a stainless Service-Six.

For outdoor carry, this is about right, in my
view. The grip can be ground down for a
round butt, something that can't be done
on a GP-100.

For outdoors, I wish the manufacturers would ljust eave off the underlugs. Others may disagree. The one thing I love a about Rugers is that anyone can do action jobs on them. Just rent a couple of cowboy movies end dry fire the daylights out of them! I'd love Ruger to add removable underlugs. That way if you don't have guides to carry your guns in the wilderness, you would be able to lighten the weight.

The S&W 686 (top) and Ruger Security-Six.

The.357 magnum is a perfect outdoors gun. It can take all sorts of critters, including the two-legged variety. Back when the Security-Six was in production, I never once heard anyone complain of recoil or difficulty controlling it in the outdoors. The SP-101 is bit of a lightweight, and the Service-/Security-Six was just about right.
--

Last edited:
I love the Ruger revolvers, but I'm not very found of the barrel's underlug. I wish Ruger had taken the Security-Six, gave it a little more meat in the forcing come and then left it alone! I'm also a bit unhappy with the balance. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but it's a bit heavy for camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. For range shooting and home defense it's fine. Again, I love the Security-Six; also, the S&W 66. I have two 686s (an -0 version and a -6 Model (both 6-inch)), and several of the Security-Sixes, and the 6-inch models are wonderful. And though I also have some 4-inchers as well, I wish I'd picked up a stainless Service-Six.

For outdoors, I wish the manufacturers would ljust eave off the underlugs. Others may disagree. The one thing I love a about Rugers is that anyone can do action jobs on them. Just rent a couple of cowboy movies end dry fire the daylights out of them! I'd love Ruger to add removable underlugs. That way if you don't have guides to carry your guns in the wilderness, you would be able to lighten the weight.

The.357 magnum is a perfect outdoors gun. It can take all sorts of critters, including the two-legged variety. Back when the Security-Six was in production, I never once heard anyone complain of recoil or difficulty controlling it in the outdoors. The SP-101 is bit of a lightweight, and the Service-/Security-Six was just about right.
Maybe you should try to locate one of these:
https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html

Just bought another 1705 GP100 yesterday too. Still like the 686 better, but this like new 1705 was $399. Done. :)

Thanks for posting your info on springs. I too got the Wilson/Wolff spring set (swear they are the same) and couldn't remember the number combo to go with.

Good choice Prof. Young. I honestly don't think you'll regret it. Ever.

As others have said, I love mine. Wonderful gun.

4in stainless here----I didn't really like the gun until I replaced the weird Hogue grip with an old style factory grip AND replaced the front sight with a fiber optic sight.

Now the gun fits my hand and I can see the front sight, its a much better shooter for me and I'm liking it a lot.

I like the GP100 series revolvers. My only complaint is the little stub that passes for a grip frame. I prefer the Thai solution on the grip design for these. (see photo) Don't know why Hogue pushes your hand back 1/2". Both my GP100's are half lug 4" models. Actually, my blued fixed sight model outshoots this Match Champion. Go figure

IMG-0113.jpg

Last edited:
GP100 is advertised as having many options for grips because of its peg.

That's totally wrong.

jaruwan.p on ebay who sells the Thailand grips mentioned above has fewer options for the GP100/SRH than the Taurus 66 or S&W 686. Even the Taurus Judge/compact frame has more options.

There is only one company selling traditional wood target grips (like on the 686, many different variations sold at $40 by jaruwan.p for the 686). Those target grips for the GP100 are $150+. No thanks.

When Ruger or Lett dropped and Ruger went Hogue, only Altamont was the only seller of the Ruger grips that had come on the GP100 for a decade.

The peg and the hump it creates at the top limit the shape sizes available to the GP100. It's either humped or at an extreme angle.

More options my eye.

Yep...and Altamont only makes the old school rubber grips with wood/other inserts. Actually, I find these preferable to the Hogue offerings.

Maybe you should try to locate one of these:
https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html
The only models without underlugs are the MATCH CHAMPION models, which come with a hefty price tag. I've got so many .357s as it is, so I'm set. But there are lots of people who don't, and if I were an outdoorsman (and I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to do that anymore), I'd want to carry a good .357. And weight means everything to an outdoorsman. Even knives are selected for their strength and weight. If they're too heavy, they become burdens. If Ruger or S&W could produce a gun like the Ruger SP-101, but with a 5-inch slim barrel and a small, meaty grips, I think it would find a vast market.

The MATCH CHAMPION weighs in at 39 ounces, which is still a bit chunky. The Security-Six is about 36 ounces and the original skinny barrel model was, I think, 34 ounces. That's still two pounds of steel and add 2.5 ounces for ammo. I think with today's technology we can come up with weights that can be added or removed. If I were a hiker, I'd want something light and powerful. I love the SP-101, but wish I'd gotten the longer barrel.

The .357 is a highly underrated caliber, and I think it shines outdoors. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but if I had to choose between it and a Security-Six, I'd take the Security-Six any day.

There are other GP100's without the full underlug. Like this puppy, a model GPF-340 from 1989. This is the one that outshoots my Match Champion.

Ruger-GP100-3.jpg

Back