Get ready for a bear charge

If I were choosing from existing inventory, I would choose a 4" S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun for this purpose kept on the hip in a good holster. Chances are I would have 210 gr rounds in it if it ever happened as these things are not planned events, so I would probably not be loaded as heavy as is possible with solids. Either way with a Black Bear, I would feel perfectly comfortable with the scaring off the critter being the first choice.

I used to do a lot of outdoor photography and once got between two black bear cubs and the mother while concentrating on a photo shot from a low tripod (ie a wildflower). They just wandered down to me and didn't see me. Nothing happened. Another time, I had a black bear do a fake charge on me which raised every hair on my body... again while doing photography; in this case the bear was the subject. That bear closed the distance between me and it in seconds. I did get some nice head shots though with the camera. Archery season is another time you can run onto a black bear when in camo on a ground blind. That also makes me nervous, but I don't expect those critters to be overly aggressive generally.

I'd go with the 44 Magnum personally as you already have it. Rifle is too bulky for just general carry without any significant power increase.

Last edited:
Dangerous animals in full charge don't usually give a chance for more than one shot unless you have a double rifle or an auto.Do the numbers , an animal capable of 35-40mph and getting to that speed quickly can cover 25 yds very fast !!

It's kind of a bizarre apples 'n' oranges comparison you're putting us in: either one of the least powerful rifles adequate for deer of black bear, or one of the most powerful hanguns.

.357 Magnum carbines are definitely fun. They can certainly get a lot of jobs done. But there always seems to be something that's a little more appropriate, even given the size, action, and weight. The question about the Guide Gun is entirely valid: if you're constraining yourself to a lever gun with a rainbow trajectory, why not get an 1895GS (that's Stainless, by the way!), in .45-70 or .450 Marlin or the like? Even .444 Marlin would be a significant step up. Heck, even .44 Magnum would be a step up.
They're mighty pretty, and that big hole is a comfort:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Rifle pics 008.jpg
    Rifle pics 008.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 272
Back