Georgia Purchase and CCW Laws

AWESOME! I am just waiting to see how my divorce works out, but a CZ75 or Taurus PT-92 is going to be my next purchase. I found out the soon-to-be-ex sold our collection of 13 firearms for $4,000 including the PT-92, a S&W .460 full size revolver, 30/30 Thompson Contender, Stag Arms AR-15. Of course, no word to me that she was doing so, only found out about it at trial.

And some people wonder why divorces lead to murders!

As to the original post I find it odd that Georgia law doesn't state that the people have to be acting in their official capacity for the exemption to apply. Considering most states have a military exemption but require servicemembers to be acting in an official capcity Georgia's law has to be a little unique.

On another note does anyone find military performance of duty exemptions from firearms laws unnecessary? If the federal government authorizes a member of the military to carry a firearm the state has no say.

US Constitution Article VI Clause 2:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The only case where it may be necessary is when the NG is acting under state authority.

As to the original post I find it odd that Georgia law doesn't state that the people have to be acting in their official capacity for the exemption to apply. Considering most states have a military exemption but require servicemembers to be acting in an official capcity Georgia's law has to be a little unique.

On another note does anyone find military performance of duty exemptions from firearms laws unnecessary?

Yes to both. I think Georgia laws are completely unique in the absence of "in an official capacity" limiter. AND I don't think there is any need in state laws to have that exception anyway for the reasons you mentioned.

Back