Georgia legislature to pass improved pro-gun legislation

FireMax

I've been following this closely. It has been a roller coaster ride. When the legislature took up its work on a few pro-gun bills in January, it seemed like they were dead in the water. But, just this week, two very important bills began to move in a positive direction and today, the Georgia Senate passed both bills. Now, both bills will go to the Georgia House, which is Republican dominated and very pro-gun. Both are expected to pass easily.

Mainly, the two big victories are that...

1. Georgians with permits will be able to conceal carry in an establishment that sells alcohol as long as they do not consume alcohol while carrying.
2. Georgians with permits will be able to conceal carry a gun on public transportation such as buses and trains as long as there is no federal law against it. Previously, there was a law in place with a 20 year prison penalty, even if you had a gun in your car in a bus parking lot, or even near a bus stop.

Both of those situations have been off-limits to Georgians for many years. WE didn't get everything we wanted, but considering that everyone feared we would get nothing from this legislature this session, it is an enormous victory.

Here is a link to the story. http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...2/guns_0403.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Senate OKs concealed guns in eateries, MARTA

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/03/08

Georgians with concealed weapons permits could carry guns on MARTA trains, and into restaurants as long as they don't drink, under a bill that passed the Senate after two rounds of contentious debate Wednesday.

Senators tacked the provisions onto HB 257, a bill that would have allowed Magistrate Court constables to carry guns, and significantly expanded its scope.

The last minute changes come after months of intense pressure from the National Rifle Association and Georgia gun groups to loosen the state's weapons laws.

The Republican-controlled Senate has struggled with gun legislation throughout the past two sessions, caught between the NRA and business interests about whether employees should have the right to keep weapons in the cars they park on company lots.

In 2007, after bitter behind-the-scenes confrontations, the Senate killed the legislation. In February, the Senate agreed on a watered-down version of the NRA-backed proposal and placed it in HB 89, a bill originally intended to relax the rules on where handguns can be kept in vehicles. But the Senate then declined to negotiate with the House over changes to the bill, stalling the measure. HB 89, sponsored by Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica) a former police officer, would have allowed guns in churches, sporting events and political rallies.

Senators saw an opening Wednesday to revive the debate.

Sen. John Douglas (R-Social Circle) said concealed weapon permit holders are responsible citizens who deserve to carry guns. "Because we do live in a dangerous time, it is our responsibility to allow honest people to protect themselves and their families," he said.

Its a fact, the largest move forward for Georgians that carry in decades has been pulled off by the house and the senate.

Many thanks to georgiacarry.org as well as the tireless efforts of some very key elected officials.

They never gave up and now the hopes are that the Georgia Governor "Sonny Purdue" will sign off on the bill.

Hard work is worth it in the end and bitter sweet.

An incredible end to a very long week here in the Peach state.

Yes, GeorgiaCarry.org is an awesome organization. I saw their booth at a gun show and joined up. I had no idea how hard this organization was working at that time. I have come to respect these men and women immensely.

Not only have they been working in the legislature, they have sued several counties on behalf of Georgia concealed weapons permit holders (It is called a Georgia Firearms License here in GA)... counties which had restrictions on carrying in local parks, even though our Ga law states clearly that the GA law on conceal carry pre-empts any local law in Georgia. They won their first case against Coweta County, and since then local jurisddctions have either voluntary changed their laws or they have been sued by GeorgiaCarry.org. Even liberal Fulton County (Atlanta) finally gave in after first trying to fight.

What a year it has been already for us conceal carriers here in Ga!

PRESS RELEASE:

Georgia General Assembly Passes Major Overhaul of Firearms Laws

Largest change in Georgia firearms laws in 20 years expands rights of gun owners.

Atlanta, April 4, 2008: GeorgiaCarry.org, Inc. (GCO) is proud to announce the passage of the most significant reform in Georgia’s firearms laws in 20 years. After being forced to a Conference Committee by the Georgia Senate in February, the fate of HB 89 was uncertain. After much work at the grassroots level by both GeorgiaCarry.org and Rep. Tim Bearden (R-68), an agreement was reached by the members of the Conference Committee from both chambers.

The most notable changes in the bill are provisions allowing those in possession of a valid Georgia Firearms License (GFL) to carry firearms in restaurants serving alcohol where more than 50% of revenue is derived from the sale of food, in State Parks, and on public transportation. The restrictions placed on these new provisions prohibit GFL holders from consuming alcoholic beverages while carrying a firearm in any establishment serving alcohol as well as from carrying in places prohibited under Federal law as it pertains to public transportation. Other changes include allowing those eligible to obtain a GFL the ability to possess a firearm anywhere in their motor vehicle, provisions relating to the timely issuance of GFL’s, and a straw purchase penalty for those purchasing firearms intended for disqualified persons.

Despite strong opposition from gun control advocacy groups, these changes to the existing laws do nothing more than bring Georgia up to par with a majority of states as to where firearms may lawfully be carried. In relation to restaurants serving alcohol, State Parks, and public transportation, these changes make Georgia the 38th, 37th, and 44th state respectively.

Rep. Tim Bearden, who originally authored HB 89 during the 2007 legislative session, was very quick to point out, “The changes we have made to the law affect only law abiding Georgians. Criminals have been carrying guns in Georgia’s ‘gun free’ zones, anyway. Now law abiding Georgians will have the ability to protect themselves and their families, and I am proud of the work the General Assembly has done, and I am proud of GeorgiaCarry.Org for supporting the right to bear arms.”

GCO President Ed Stone added the following, “When seconds count, help is only six minutes away. This is why today’s legislation is so important for Georgia, which joins the vast majority of other states in repealing restrictive laws governing bearing arms in parks, restaurants, and on mass transit. GeorgiaCarry.org wishes to thank Rep. Bearden for authoring this bill and for pushing so hard for the right to bear arms in Georgia over the last couple of years.”

GeorgiaCarry.org would like to recognize Rep. Charlice Byrd (R-20), Rep. Timothy Bearden (R-68), and Sen. John Douglas (R-17), who are all members of GeorgiaCarry.org. GCO extends a special thanks to these members of the General Assembly for their efforts this year in continuing the fight for the right to bear arms in Georgia.

###

GeorgiaCarry.org (GCO) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and improvement of Georgia’s right to keep and bear arms. GCO’s mission is carried out through selected litigation, grassroots legislative efforts, and active participation with elected officials at all levels throughout Georgia.

Rep. Bearden is a former police officer. He worked very aggressively to get this bill passed. I tip my hat to Rep. Bearden and to the others in the legislature, in GeorgiaCarry.org, and to the citizens who took the time to contact their elected officials to voice their opinions.

The Georgia House of Representatives voted 106 to 57 in support of HB 89. The Georgia Senate voted 40 to 15 in support of HB 89. People from all over this great state voiced their opinions to the General Assembly and the Assembly responded.

Now this legislation is on the way to the Governor's desk.

The Georgia Restaurant Association is very publicly urging Governor Perdue to veto HB 89. MARTA is doing the same thing (it is nice to know your tax dollars are being used against your civil rights, isn't it?). The Georgia Restaurant Association has over 3,000 members, most of whom do not seem to know it is already legal to carry a firearm in their establishments (since most of them do not serve alcohol). In addition, the Governor is being flooded with negative telephone calls stemming from the stream of misinformation being conveyed by the news media.

Please sit down and write Governor Perdue using your personal stationary or paper. Then, grab the telephone and call him. When you are finished, please take the time to send an email. Let him know you support HB 89 and you would appreciate him signing it into law.

Then please contact members of your family and friends and ask them to do the same.

Be Polite
Be Precise
Don't Be Long Winded
If You Call, Know What You Want To Say Before Dialing (suggest writing it down even)
Use Multiple Methods Of Contact; Do Not Use The Same Message
Encourage Other Gun Owners To Contact The Governor, But Remind Them To Be Polite (Make Friends, Don't Burn A Bridge)

Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html

Snail Mail (USPS):
The Office of the Governor
State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Phone:
404-656-1776

Fax:
404-657-7332

As always, please exercise extreme courtesy and self restraint in dealing with Gov. Perdue's office.

If Perdue waffles on this, we Georgians won't forget it, if he ever runs for another public office. The alcohol consumption part of the bill was unnecessary, unenforceable, and ridiculous, no doubt the product of some of our Baptist legislators. The bill should have been written that carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol is permitted, but carrying in the bar area of such restaurants is not permitted.

It's absurd to deny a law-abiding person who's carrying in a restaurant a glass of wine. He's a lot more dangerous leaving the restaurant and driving home with a little alcohol in his system than he would be while carrying in the restaurant.

I am OK with the alcohol prohibition while carrying a weapon. Of course I am a Baptist. I agree with you however that the person would be more dangerous driving home after drinking than carrying a weapon after drinking.

I am holding my breath on this one. Perdue was swept into office in a Conservative tidal wave. If he does not sign this bill, he will have difficulty with his conservative base in the next election. I hope he does the right thing and signs the bill that over 70% of Senators voted for and over 64% of representatives signed. It is the will of the people.... not special interests that should help him decide.

If you're from Georgia and you haven't done so already, please call his office and politely ask him to pass bill HB89.

Contact info

Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html

Snail Mail (USPS):
The Office of the Governor
State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Phone:
404-656-1776

Perdue was swept into office in a Conservative tidal wave.

Wrong! Perdue was elected because of the general disgust with that arrogant ass, Roy Barnes. Nobody knew who Perdue was; they just knew he wasn't Roy Barnes.

FWIW, I hardly drink at all; just think the bill was unintelligently-written and unenforceable, relative to the alcohol consumption prohibition. If we have zero tollerance for driving motor vehicles, then it's o.k. for me to have zero tollerance for those of us with firearms licenses. All-in-all, it's just religious fanatic control-issue horseschict.

Alleykat's assessment of the reasons Perdue was elected is totally correct. It was NOT a conservative tidal wave. Everyone despised the governor at the time, Roy Barnes.

I think there is widespread confusion about this within the Republican party. Perdue's name has actually been kicked around as a possible McCain VP candidate because he is so "popular" in Georgia, and percieved to be a conservative. In reality, he is a doofus. He has accomplished nothing as governor. He won the first time because he was not Roy Barnes, and he won the second time because he was not Mark Taylor.

If we have zero tollerance for driving motor vehicles, then it's o.k. for me to have zero tollerance for those of us with firearms licenses. All-in-all, it's just religious fanatic control-issue horseschict.

You are probably correct about all that too, but I am still OK with the way the law is written.

Quote: firemax
Perdue was swept into office in a Conservative tidal wave.
quote: alleykat
Wrong! Perdue was elected because of the general disgust with that arrogant ass, Roy Barnes. Nobody knew who Perdue was; they just knew he wasn't Roy Barnes.

I'm not wrong at all. In 2002, a Conservative wave of voters swept across the country after 9/11 and elected a lot of unknowns such as Governor Perdue, Senator Saxby Chambliss (Georgia) and many others. The progress helped the Republicans gain control of the US Senate.

Before the election, Roy Barnes was a popular governor in Georgia. I didn't like him, but he had broad support. It was a total shock to many when he lost to Perdue. The post 9/11 Conservative wave did him in.

Unregistered
You are probably correct about all that too, but I am still OK with the way the law is written.

Me too. I was hoping to see a repeal of the infamous "Public Gathering" law (What is a public gathering anyway???). But, the restaurant, public transport and state parks provisions are just fine. Personally, I don't drink alcohol when I carry my weapon, so I am fine with that part of the law. I do like eating though and it will be nice to be able to keep my gun on me when I have dinner as opposed to leaving it in my car.

Firemax, I don't think your assessment of the Perdue victory is correct. Roy Barnes was uniformly despised by everyone by the time of election. Perdue was, and is, a political nobody who only won because of the unpopularity of his opponents.

To put it another way, I have never voted for Sonny Perdue, but I did vote against Barnes in 2002 and against Mark Taylor in 2006.

I was at a Sonny Perdue fundraiser in 2002, where he was introduced as "Sonny Perdue, a man who didn't even know the problems Georgia was facing until he decided to run for Governor". After 6 years in office, I think that introduction is still pretty much on the money.

Unregistered.... I agree with your assessment of Perdue. He is a light weight. That is why everyone, including President Bush, was surprised when he won the election in '02. However, my point is, and I remember this well, there was a Conservative wave of motivated voters who came out in '02 and handed the US Senate back to the Republicans because it was the first election after 9/11 and Conservative turn out was very high.

IMO, Perdue and Chambliss.... unknowns before '02, were the beneficiaries of this wave. In addition, maybe people were disgusted with Barnes as you point out, but all I remember is that his poll numbers were pretty high in the first few months of '02 and they didn't begin slipping until later in the year.

I voted for Perdue in 2002, but I voted Libertarian in 2006. By 2006, I was getting fed up with the Republicans and I voted for Libertarians whenever I could and when there was not one on the ballot, I voted for no one. Just my way of saying to the Republicans.... "Stop taking Conservative voters for granted."

I don't guess it really matters anymore why Perdue went in against Barnes, but, I'd have to opine that one would have to have been in a coma if one were a GA voter at the time and didn't fully understand that the public sentiment was very much personally against Barnes.

Barnes first alienated GA's teachers, then he arrogantly proclaimed that he didn't need teachers' votes to get elected. Anybody know how many teachers there are in our 159 counties?? A bunch, and they all have extended families, of course. Among other things, Barnes gave us that silliass, Yankee-looking flag. He also left the state in the worst financial shape of any governor in modern times.

Saxby wasn't an "unknown". He was, in fact a pretty well-known Republican and lawyer. Max Cleland was just too tied to Klinton-Gore, and he suffered appropriate defeat.

Whatever the realities of how Perdue got elected, I just hope that he stops his poll-taking and signs the damned bill.

I don't guess it really matters anymore why Perdue went in against Barnes, but, I'd have to opine that one would have to have been in a coma if one were a GA voter at the time and didn't fully understand that the public sentiment was very much personally against Barnes.

Hmmm. Guess I was in a coma.

Before Perdue, Georgia had not had a Republican governor in many years. Democrat governors are popular in Georgia, historically. Barnes was no more or less despised at the time than any other governor of Georgia, IMO. It was the nationwide Conservative wave of voters that did Barnes in and swept the unknown Republican (and former democrat) Sonny Perdue into office.

If 9/11 had not happened, we still would have never heard of Sonny Perdue or Saxby Chambliss.

But I digress as we just don't see things the same. No big deal.

Back