Generous eye relief?

In one day, he scoped himself 3 times (first one was just a painful swollen bump, second time it bled for a couple of minutes, 3rd time was the end of the hunt)
I can sympathize with the guys who have the crescent scar....I now have one myself. However, I have a little less for the guys who have the dreaded "X"....guess they didn't learn the first time. What can you say about the guy who gets it three times....in one day? Time for an intervention?:)

That's why I like Leupolds....to me, eye relief and eye box (allowable error in eye positioning) dimensions are more important than slightly better brightness, clarity, definition, etc

I am basically a hunter and could care less about how repeatable, within reason, the adjustments are either, since unless I change loads I dial in and it stays.

Where I hunt it's usually necessary to put on some heavier cloths and length of pull and cheek weld are somewhat different than when shooting at paper in Summer time with a T-shirt on.

3" eye relief is NOT enough for me, although it works fine for others.

IMO, "generous eye relief is at least 4"

Keep your finger off on the trigger, till your crosshairs are on the target.

One mistake that "some" shooters make, is not to follow the safe firearm rule of ; Keep your finger off on the trigger, till your crosshairs are on the target. One hunter in our group, saw a buck and in his excitement, he shouldered his firearm and before it was anchored and had a good check-weld, The firearm went off. In the process of stopping the bleeding, he knew what he did wrong. ...... ;)
I would add that I too carry one of these scars on my cheek. ... :o

Be Safe !!!

if you've shot enough, you probably got nicked by a scope at least once...another thing is COMB HEIGHT. A scope should be mounted low but more modern rifles seem to have a high comb and mounting a scope in low rings will cause you to tilt your face in an uncomfortable angle to get your eye down to see through the scope.

Everyone is built different but for me this is worse than having to "crawl" the stock because of a short eye relief scope....also, most of my rifles have had the length of pull shortened because I find factory stocks too long, and I'm not a small guy.

Rifles like the Marlin 336 or Savage 99 or older bolt guns can have scopes mounted in low rings without this problem but in rifles with higher combs a medium ring height usually works for me.

Couple this with adequate eye relief/eye box dimensions and the rifle then comes up quickly and naturally on target with head more upright and no need for unnatural gyrations to achieve a good sight picture.

One mistake that "some" shooters make, is not to follow the safe firearm rule of ; Keep your finger off on the trigger, till your crosshairs are on the target. One hunter in our group, saw a buck and in his excitement, he shouldered his firearm and before it was anchored and had a good check-weld, The firearm went off. In the process of stopping the bleeding, he knew what he did wrong. ......
I would add that I too carry one of these scars on my cheek. ...

if you've shot enough, you probably got nicked by a scope at least once...another thing is COMB HEIGHT. A scope should be mounted low but more modern rifles seem to have a high comb and mounting a scope in low rings will cause you to tilt your face in an uncomfortable angle to get your eye down to see through the scope.

Everyone is built different but for me this is worse than having to "crawl" the stock because of a short eye relief scope....also, most of my rifles have had the length of pull shortened because I find factory stocks too long, and I'm not a small guy.

Rifles like the Marlin 336 or Savage 99 or older bolt guns can have scopes mounted in low rings without this problem but in rifles with higher combs a medium ring height usually works for me.

It is (or so it seems to me to be) a trademark of "gun culture 2.0" ....having learned to shoot on low recoiling "platforms" .... they are not acquainted with good shooting form that lends itself to recoil management .... they did not grow up understanding that as sure as stoves were hot that a gun would knock the snot out of you if you did not hold onto it firmly .... good form, to include the buttstock firmly in the pocket of the shoulder and cheek "welded" to the stock, a natural point of aim, and sighting height set up to match comb height ..... just is not a habit for them , nor is forming that habit a concern .... they just write off learning that stuff in favor of trying to buy things that will solve the perceived problem of "too much recoil" .... ever lighter calibers and muzzle brakes and recoil pads and earmuffs combined with plugs .... not that these things can't help matters, but it seems to me that they are dumping huge amounts of money into a house that has a dirt foundation.....

Back