Genereous gun owners

Cornered Rat,
In regard to the three Darwin Award winners you encountered at a range, was this at Bill's Gun Shop Range? I've been there a few times and recall the first time I rented there (circa 1989) the range supervisor/master told me about some guy that rented a handgun from the range(didn't specifythe type) and midway through his session decided to attend to an itch at the temple of his head. Rather than putting the hangun down, the moron either scratched at the itch with his index finger while it was in the trigger guard (handgun's barrel pointing at his head)or scratched with the barrel of the aforementioned handgun while it was both loaded and while his finger was still on the trigger. The supervisor quickly went over to him to get the gun away from him, and when he called to the man (his back was turned) the man turned around with the gun following his pivot, bringing it to bear on the instructor!
The instructor managed to keep calm long enough to politiely request the man to follow him off the range into the lobby, where he promptly gave him a good tonguelashing about range safety, and then kicked him off the range.

It's true. Most shooters are nice folks. I just wish that we could get that info. out to the general public. I've been able to listen in on conversations amongst non gun owners concerning gun control. They really believe that the average gun owner is some type of redneck, etc. when I've told these folks that I own guns, and enjoy shooting, they are flabbergasted. One comment was "but you love animals so much !" I tell them that I hunted in the past, but not now, and the only things I fire at are paper targets or aluminum cans. I then invite interested non gunners to shoot w/ me at the local indoor range. I start them off with a .22 wheelgun, and I've made some friends for us amongst the uninformed.

Not just the mentally (common sense-wise) deficient, but also the unhinged. Around 1991-1992 some guy rented a revolver at the range, fired off 5 rounds, put the gun to his head and emptied the sixth round into his head. But for an indoor range its pretty good. Expensive: yes.

Back