Gen5 Glock 19...reason not to?

I don't have one, haven't even shot one. That's never stopped me from having an opinion before, so why start now? That said, I've read a lot of good things about them and have a buddy who swears by his. Had they been available when I bought my one and only Glock, a Gen 4 in ~2013, I probably would have bought one. But they weren't, so I went with what was the latest and greatest at the time and didn't see enough changes from Gen 4 to Gen 5 to warrant my moving from G4 to G5.

I’ve always been a fan of Gen 3 Glocks but recently acquired a GEN 5 19 MOS. I really like it so far. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glocks are like Toyota’s...they just work. I think the biggest thing before buying one or any handgun.... handle it. No surprise there, you probably knew this. If it fits in your hand good and you like the angle etc... give it a go. If you absolutely hate it they hold value surprisingly well and won’t ever be hard to sell it.

Any compelling reason to get one or not?

Have all the others in this size. Would be my first Glock.
No reason not to. Reliable, accurate, tons of after market ‘stuff’, not expensive.
Ain’t ‘pretty’ to some(although I think my 3 Glocks are), but my favorite hammer isn’t pretty either. Handle/shoot one. G19 a GREAT gun.

The Glock 19 is the easiest handgun in the US to find parts for, either aftermarket or factory. It will be easier to find holsters for it than any other handgun. If you want to sell it you’ll have no problem finding a buyer.

I did a torture test with my Gen 3 19 and my Octane 9 silencer and blew the silencer up after just over 500 continuous rounds fired rapid-fire. The slide was so hot that an oven mitt was needed to clear the gun. We set it down on the floor of the shooting bay, let it cool, then took it apart. The plastic guide rod was melted slightly and the gun was filthy (silencers foul guns way more than normal). I reassembled the gun and it worked fine.

I decided to replace the guide rod anyway, and since Glocks are so popular I was lucky that the range/gun shop where I worked had some in stock. We didn’t carry guide rods for any other brand of handgun, just Glocks. And you’ll find that’s true for many gun shops.

I was in a class once and a guy needed an extra mag for his Glock 19. Luckily, almost half the class was using a Glock 19 or 17, so it was easy for him to borrow one. If he’d had a less popular gun he probably would’ve just had to finish the class down a mag.

Sorry, this is just my convoluted way of saying that the Glock 19 is both super tough and reliable, and also really easy to own because of its extreme popularity. If you don’t like the gun for some reason or you don’t want a gun that everyone else has, then don’t bother. But otherwise there’s no reason not to own one.

Last edited:
I have always hated the way a Glock felt and pointed in my hand. I finally broke down and bought one just to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out I shoot my Gen 5 Glock 19 better than any other gun I own; and I own or have owned a bunch of the competitors.

I’ve never been a Glock fan. I’ve found them to have mushy trigger and an awkward shape.

That said, I bought a Gen5 G19 MOS two weeks and it’s becoming a favorite. The trigger isn’t mushy and while the shape is still awkward I adjusted to it rather quickly.

I really think having the multiple backstraps has made a meaningful difference for me. The Glock is a service gun with the purpose of launching bullets. It did not seem that ergonomics was on their to do list until recently. Warts and all these guns do exactly what they are supposed to do. Here, it's two third generation guns and one generation four. I was planning on getting a police turn in G22 until the plumbing broke.

Not a fanboy of the Glock. I did buy a 19 G-5. It eats my trigger finger but so far shoots every time. I did have to take it to a Glock armorer to have the trigger replaced and I had to install a taller rear sight. I think I would like it if I solve the trigger eating problem.

To be honest, the Gen 3 Glock has reigned supreme for me (in Glock generations, not entirely) but when the Gen 5 came out my mind changed. Now I like Gen 3 and 5 the most.

The only reason to stick with an earlier generation is if you are a minimalist type of person who already has a good stock of used and new Glock parts.

Forgot to add to the above, the reason being that the Gen 5 parts do not mix with any of the Gen 1 - 4 Glock parts. They're their own set of pieces.

I first began shooting handguns in the very early 70's. To make a long story short, I was set in my ways and didn't buy my first polymer framed gun until 2011. That was a Kahr CW9.

I resisted buying a Glock, in large part due to all of the hater hype that I read all over the internet. Finally, about 3 years ago, I broke down and bought a 3rd gen G19. To my utmost surprise, I took to that gun like a duck to water. I have long and slender hands, and I LIKE the way that it feels in my hand. It points naturally for me. The trigger was a far cry better than my pre-Apex M&P's. I even liked the OEM sights.

I can shoot lights out with that gun out to 15 yards, and I enjoy shooting it even better than my Beretta 92 and my CZ75B. It just shoots. They're crazy simple to break down and clean, even to detail strip. As for the Gen 5 Glock, I don't have any personal experience with it. But, I'd doubt that it's much different in overall feel and performance than any other Glock.

Folks seem to hate 'em or love 'em, no doubt. But, it's tough to buy a better gun that does as many things as well as a G19.

From what I have read on multiple forums is that pretty much everyone who has purchased a Gen 5 Glock loves them. Some complained about the grip cutout at the bottom of the grip of the Gen 5 Glock 19 but that has been resolved now.

My only Glock is my Gen 2 Glock 19 that I bought new in the early 90s that I just adore and is my CCW pistol along with my Walther original PPS.

I am very likely to buy a Gen 5 Glock 19 or Glock 45 MOS this year and also a Glock 44. The Glock 44, which is .22 LR, IMO will be a great starting pistol for my wife and she hopefully will also be able to like and be proficient with the Glock 19 after learning with the Glock 44.

Had a Gen 3 19 for 10 years. Was my first pistol. I really liked the simplicity of the Glock as my first firearm. As I shot more and got more comfortable with other pistols, I just lost interest in Glocks. I enjoyed shooting almost everything else more. They tend to be like it or leave it guns. I can shoot just fine with them. Grip angle, trigger, none of the things others complain about bothered me, but I was never taking it out and shooting it. Was actually taking my 938 out almost 5 to 1 over the Glock, only shooting it because I had to stay in tune with its feel. Eventually ended up selling it for steel framed pistols.

Is it worth getting gen 5? Sure, if you enjoy shooting it. As others have stated, they dig them.

If the point is to have it, and you enjoy having a collection and some variety of shooting options, there's certainly no reason not to have a G19. I personally like the 5th gen better than the 3rd or 4th as it's easier to grip and those grooves never quite fit my fingers.

It certainly won't do anything your other guns already do :) Pick any plastic striker gun from any major manufacturer today, pull it out of the box and run a thousand rounds through it. I doubt you'll have an issue. Aftermarket support is definitely higher on Glock than on others, so if you want something to tinker with or learn some gunsmithing on, it's probably a good option (although in that case I'd suggest buying something used). But I think the modern crop of pistols are all so similar to each other that it's almost purely a matter of preference. What fits my hand, what feels best to me, what seems to me to have less recoil, or whatever. I think my order of preference, having shot a lot of them, is probably PPQ, then P320, then Smith M&P 2.0, then probably Glock Gen 5. H&Ks are nice but they never quite called to me. I love every CZ model out there except the P-10. Something about it just really bugs me.

So there you have it. Sure, buy a Glock 19, but don't be disappointed when it lacks magical powers that people on the Internet say it has :D:p

My "collection" is a Walther Q5 Match (cuz I love everything about the PPQ series), a CZ P-07 (cuz I like DA/SA guns and that one especially, which I carry most of the time), a Walther PPS M2 (cuz it's like a skinny PPQ that's easier to conceal), and a J-frame snub that I bought because I knew the guy selling it and thought "I've never even fired a revolver before, so why the heck not?"

I want to acquire a 1911 .45 ACP (cuz it's a 1911), a Beretta 92FS (cuz Mel Gibson and Bruce Willis had those in the 80's!) and a .357 mag revolver -- the new Kimber K6 line is expensive but sweet.

So I guess my taste in multiple guns is about variety or maybe uniqueness. I have passed up multiple chances at buying a Glock or S&W or H&K striker gun because they're not really *that* different from the Walther I already have. I guess I'd rather put the money into ammo. Or food!

Over-priced. Glock is gouging counting on the fan boys to carry the brand.
There's a lot of Glock 19 size pistols available today.
Gee, only 14 posts before the 'anti glock' crowd comes out...more than expected..

'Might' be it's reliability, accuracy, after market support and ease of find one less $ than a 'Sig' for instance..but yer right, 'gouging' and fan boys..I'm sure USN SEAL force are fan boys too...:eek:
Pick any plastic striker gun from any major manufacturer today, pull it out of the box and run a thousand rounds through it. I doubt you'll have an issue.
I think my order of preference, having shot a lot of them, is probably PPQ, then P320, then Smith M&P 2.0, then probably Glock Gen 5.

Before or after the 'recommended soft recall'??

If you don't want the finger grooves or need an ambi slide stop, then sure.

I like the Gen 5 I have because the grooves don't work my hands on the compact frame. Otherwise if the grooves work for you I'd say the Gen 4 or 3 are just as good, depending on your texture preference.

The trigger is arguably better on the 5s but my two don't beat my well used Gen 4 17 or 21.

The "Marksman" barrel has a tighter throat, allegedly for accuracy that I don't notice, which means they can be more picky on ammo, especially wide meplat longer loaded bullets. I had to dump a few of my favorite bullets, notably my flat tip 147 grain handloads, to a round nose 124 grain to run perfectly in my 19 and 19x (and to be fair, my Gen 4 26 doesn't like those either).

Still, my 19.5 is an ideal carry gun and works very well for me. I've owned a number of Gen 3 and 4 19s and 23s and none stayed around.

Over-priced. Glock is gouging counting on the fan boys to carry the brand.
There's a lot of Glock 19 size pistols available today.

For some maybe, I'm no fanboy but the Glock tends to just work better in my hands than the alternate, and I've tried them all.

Worth noting though, is the Beretta APX Centurion, very good gun for the crazy low price. The sights dont work that great for me, but those are easy to replace, and with the competition spring the trigger is very nice.

Wide slide though, wide as a Glock 21, can be an issue for concealment for some.

Still, the best Glock 19 sized striker I've tried that isn't a Glock, again in my hands.

ease of find one less $ than a 'Sig' for instance..but yer right, 'gouging' and fan boys..

Before or after the 'recommended soft recall'??

You can find P320s for less than a Glock Gen 5 generally. The P320s that cost more generally include night sights, which is why they're more (even base P320s have steel sights). You can also find lower priced PPQs, P10cs, M&Ps, the list goes on. There are competitors for less. Now the earlier Glocks, Gen 3 and 4, can be found online for closer to $400 now (Palmetto State Armory has had such deals). So depending on the Gen you can get Glocks for close.

As for recalls, I owned an early Gen 4 Glock 19. Glock has had issues as well. SIG likely has had more, but Glock essentially makes one design in various sizes and has for a long time. SIG has a lot of designs (I might argue too many) and all of them don't have literal decades worth of tweaking. While I wish they did less "in the field" testing, I still want companies to try new designs. I don't think pistol development should stop with Glock.

Listen, you and I have been back and forth on being a fan versus a fanboy. You're also free to comment as you will. But these pistols are inanimate objects that don't get hurt feelings even if someone on the internet says something negative. Price is an area where Glock isn't as competitive. It's not really hating to point that out.

I currently own 4 Glocks, 3 of which are Gen 5 19s (two that are MOS). I'm a pretty big fan. I've also owned the Walther P99 and PPQ, CZ P10c, SIG P320 compact and P365, Ruger SR9, S&W M&P 1.0 and 2.0, FN FNS, Beretta APX, HK VP9, Springfield Armory XD and XDm. Generally speaking they were all reliable and accurate. Many have triggers that feel better when dry firing and ergonomics that feel better in the hand. I still tend to shoot Glocks better, especially at speed.

We're very fortunate to live at a time where there are a lot of quality options on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gen5 Glock 19...reason not to?
Any compelling reason to get one or not?

Have all the others in this size. Would be my first Glock.

Gen 5 specifically, or any G19?

Reasons to: ease of maintenance, parts availability, holster availability, magazine availability. Reliability.

Reasons not to: All the usual complaints people have about Glocks -- the gripe angle. Gen 5 has the circular cutout in the grip that annoys some people. Prior gens have finger grooves that sometime sdon't fit real people's fingers.

The trigger can be annoying. Don't worry, your finger will numb up after a while. :D

Seriously, the Glock 19 does everythig well enough to be the default answer to the "what gun should I get" question.

I think I'll go put mine on now, for a Saturday "out and about" gun.

Back