gel testing 38spl cast hollow points

Not scientific by any means but it was odd that the same alloys had such different results from the same manufacturer.

Did you ask the manufacturer if they were, in fact the same alloy??

the design of the bullet itself and the difference in speed (close to 10%) might just be enough to account for the difference in performance, even if they are the same alloy.

Never asked the company but they are listed as being the same 2-2-96 alloy. I think the extra 150 grains allowed it to travel father giving the mushroom more time to peel back. Either way it’s about what I want for a subsonic round as it’ll actually open up. Worst case the back of the bullet will continue though the animal after the petals rip off.

So quick update. Heard back from the bullet maker. He stated he is busy with both making bullets and health things going on. He stated he was not sure what was going on and stated he had possible been shipped the wrong alloy. Due to being busy he offered a full refund, which I declined. I can still plink with them if need be and I am ok with that, as I am learning bullet casting I am more interested in understanding. I initially had to do a form submission, but with his response I was able to e-mail him back some pictures. Still waiting to hear back. Will keep you updated.

Good to hear he's being responsive and trying to take care of you.

USSR,

The calculator you can download from Castboolits.gunloads.com thinks your alloy's BHN will be 9.8.

Reading the PENN Bullet site it makes sense. Quality control is a tough one, you can create your own, test others or just go on faith.

Bottom line is if you really want a good expanding bullet buy a known jacket HP SD round or you can play with your lead mix to see if you can create it yourself.

I cast lead years back but decided not worth it.

I did run the Penn bullets though a 9mm at spiffy velocities and got no leading (I did fire 5 rounds then took gun down and checked)

I did the same with a loaned HK with his permission to test and also got no leading in that Polygonal barrel.

I was only after practice ammo though. I keep Remington Sabre in the clips normally (at the time you got more and the 9mm was superbly accurate with it. )

I want something I can test, or have seen tested. But when it comes to traditional styled lead bullets from boutique makers only way is to test them yourself.

I have had ok luck casting my own bullets so far. But they are only 125g rn for 9mm, and 158g wide flat for 38. Good proven designs that don't really rely on expansion. My buddy has cast some gaping hollow points for his 44spl revolver and rifle. Hoping to test thim in the next week or 2. Bhn is about 12 on his.

USSR,

The calculator you can download from Castboolits.gunloads.com thinks your alloy's BHN will be 9.8.

Nick,

I've got that calculator, but due to the compromise formula that they use in it to calculate BHN, it doesn't give a true BHN for low antimony alloys. Plug in nothing but pure lead, and instead of getting a BHN of 5.0, you get a BHN of 7.5.

Don

Back