Garand vs SKS?

imo the garand and sks arnt in the same category to compare them. maybe m1 vs svt-40 or g-43 since they all fire a similar heavy round and are semi auto

Re: the CMP "destroying weapons instead of selling them" - this is based on what?

'This is based on what?"

Simple, the CMP is a gov't program and can be ended at any time by E.O. or Congress. This administration will not allow CMP stocks to be stored away for the future, they would simply call it a cost-cutting move to lower the deficit and be done with it.

Not likely.

The CMP sells surplus rifles because they are required to by federal law to fund their Programs. Title 36 U. S. Code, 0701-40733.

This law has been in affect since the early 1900s, and last renewed in 1996 when the program was turned over to civilian management from the DCM (Division of Civilian Marksmanship run by the Army). The DCM was funded by tax dollars, the CMP is funded by sales of surplus rifles, ammo, and other products. They use no federal tax dollars.

This law also requires the CMP to conduct the National Matches (Camp Perry) and other CMP Games, conduct the Small Arms Firing Schools and other programs that provide marksmanship training to American Citizens.

The Small Arms Firing Schools teach American Citizens, including juniors, marksmanship using our existing military firearms.

The President cannot override this law, and I see no way possible for it to be over turned by congress.

If and when the CMP stops selling Garands, it will be because they ran out (and that wont be for a while).

These programs have been on going since Pres. T. Roosevelt started the programs in 1903. They aren't gonna end any time soon.

As to the topic at hand, the benefits of buying from the CMP are many, one, all firearms are checked by armors to make sure they are safe and functional. If something does turn out wrong, they will make good, you'll not find better service. Plus, and in my opinion, the most important, is the support of the CMP Shooting Programs, mainly the junior programs.

I'm a big fan of the SKS, and love them for what the SKS is; very inexpensive to aquire and shoot; extremely reliable and easy to maintain; and very fun and accurate at the range it was intended for, (couple hundred yards) Heck, everybody should be issued one at birth.

That being said, I'd love to get a M-1, especially if it is known to be a good one. Since I know little about them, I'd try to find help with the purchase, and would probably spend a little more to get a peach if possible.

The two rifles aren't really in the same league as far as collectability or preformance, so I'd think realistically about what kind of shooting you're most likely to do. Pop cans and jackrabbits at a hundred yards, I'd take SKS. Big bullseye targets at the range, the m-1 hands down. jd

i bought a mi garrand from j&g for $200+. it was a great gun but not really my style. i want (still) an m-14. i sold my garrand for $1000, 4 or 5 gun scares ago. i still have my $100 chinese sks tho. while the garrand might be a better gun and better investment the sks suites my needs better at this time.

Kraigwy;

Thanks for that very concise and factual explanation of CMP.

As to the original question, as with any gun, the buyer should ask themselves certain questions, 'what is the gun for?'. Are you looking for a historical piece, for use at competitions, as a fun shooter, are you concerned about maintenance requirements, costs of ammo, what is the availability of each weapon now and into the near future, etc.

Answer those questions and you'll come to your own conclusions.

If you've got the money, I'd also go for the M1. Yes, .30-06 ammo is more expensive than 7.62x39, but the M1 should be far more accurate and will certainly appreciate in value faster than the SKS.

If you reload, then the ammo cost drops. If you cast your own bullets, the cost plummets. As far as ammo damaging the rifle, that's true, a stock M1 has an envelope for gas pressure that modern off the shelf ammo probably exceeds, but you can get an adjustable gas port that is a non-permanent modification to the rifle that will enable you to use pretty much any .30-06 round out there.

I cast my own bullets from wheel weights and load to around 1900fps with gas checks. The action cycles just fine and it's accurate out to about 750 yards. Beyond that, I use commercial plated bullets. Also, CMP sells M2 ball ammo relatively cheaply (relative, of course, depends on your budget.)

I've got a couple of SKS's, too. They're fun, short to medium range plinkers. They're not terribly accurate - within their range, they'll hit what I aim at, but they are military rifles that were made for a different sort of combat than the M1. And, unfortunately, ammo for them is a little spendy right now, too. Once my (low) stock of milsurp ammo runs out, I'll probably start casting and loading those, too.

The M1 Garand for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use to buy those Yugo's for $99 in EXC. Condition. Like most guns they have went up & up. I'm not saying $750 is a great price for a shooter M1. Look a round & if you can CMP is the way to go.

Good Luck
Ken

The problem of some ammunition damaging a Garand is not due to chamber pressure, its due to excessive gas port pressure caused by useof very slow burning powders, that mostly with bullets exceeding 150 grains.
The Garand was originally intended to handle both M1 and M2 Ball but they found it operated best with M2 Ball.
They also went to single base powders almost exclusively for .30-06 Ball before WW2. Single base powders gave a lower gas port pressure, so the gas port was sized for that propellent which made it a hair over sized for the higher port pressure of double base powders. The same situation caused failures of the M16 when excessive gas port pressures over stressed the mechanism.
Some matchgrade 7.62 will cause problems with some FN FAL rifles for the same reasons, excessive gas port pressure causing early opening while the case is still fully expanded and held tight to the chamber walls, causing rims to be bent or torn off by the extractor.
With the Garand its more likely to bend or break the operating rod.

Both are in my gun family, and I shoot the SKS much more often, having ammo bought at decent prices before both elections ('08 and '12).

When you have the cash, you never wait for trouble, as we now have.
Cautious people who only Now have cash and want value must wait for the panic bubble to deflate.

Despite the SKS being used much more often (ammo was bought at .20/rd.), I recommend a Service Grade Garand from the CMP, as long as you
can afford a chunk of M2 Ball ammo to go with it.

Last edited:
Back