Garand Front sling question

I was going to ask about the "bolt action Garand" but thought I'd better not seeing as I learnt something

Well that deserves a photo then! :)
Smith-Corona 1903A3 on the left, Springfield M1 rifle on right. Everything for and on the rifles is original USGI with the exception of the Lyman sight on the '03A3 and the sling on the M1. The '03A3 is my Dad's, the M1 is mine

M1903M1.jpg

I was wondering what vintage it was supposed to be, thanks! I've gone to a 1907 style repro sling though...the tan sling pictured slipped on me when I picked up the rifle last summer. Nearly damaged the floor when the M1 hit it. :D

Tan sling is ither a kakhi that is faded or is a reproduction. I'm guessing reproduction. Canvas slings were used in WWII along with the 1907 leather

Absolutely, yes. As I indicated, that sling is repro. I have seen many photos of web slings in use on the Cotentin peninsula in 1944, and I have seen photos of dug-up relics that were once the buckles and hooks from web slings from battlefields in Europe. So there is no question that web slings were in use- PTO and ETO

However, in regards to 'khaki', that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I have a WWI vintage cartridge belt that is the same color as the repro sling pictured above. But as for 'khaki'...never really existed like that, it was shades of OD green :) and truth be told, even on the same pouch, jacket, or trousers, several shades of OD green could be seen, and some faded faster than others, while some were obviously different when new. There's an original Mills produced 1911 .45 magazine pouch that I have, where two shades of OD green can bee seen. The inside surface with the Mills stamps was not sun faded ;) It's a much better example than my cartridge belt, as the mag pouch is pretty cherry while the belt was used heavily by my Pop in the '60s for holding ammo when he went to the range

As you can see...quite close to the color of my repro sling. "Khaki" is a subject collectors go nuts over and debate endlessly. Suffice to say that a wide swath of "Olive Drab Green" was used, some of which really does look like what is considered "Khaki", when you consider that the inside surface of the material was never sun faded. They did not get real choosy with fabric colors. The pistol belt is original WWII as well, and is probably fairly sun faded but not horribly as evidenced by the clear "US" stamp. But compare the outer surface of the pouch 'body' to the flap with the printing, and to the belt. Some belts were very green, some were close to tan, some pouches were darker, some light like this one, and there's two different colors to the pouch if you look closely

b4pouch-1.jpg

Compare to the very sun faded cartridge belt

M1905beltscab.jpg

Anyway, the sling on the right in my photo is definitely a reproduction and if you could see the buckle the nature of it would be evident

Last edited:
PHP:
When I did my boot camp rifle range time at Camp Pendleton in 1968, we
spent all morning one day stacking and unstacking our M14s

How do you go about stacking M-14s?

How do you go about stacking M-14s?

I've been thinking about that, and I would have sworn we used stacking swivels, but we may have used the front sling swivels. I know we didn't use the slings.

I distinctly remember stacking the dern things, but you would think I could remember how we did it.
It's only been 40 years since.

Walter

Last edited:
Back