Game Defense Caliber and Rifle

@emcon5: I honestly believe I will never need to use whatever the firearm may be. I try to not leave the common sense at home. However, if I had to name what would worry me the most if conflict was to arise, it would be...crocodiles and alligators. I was watching a documentary on the explosion of crocodiles in south Florida where I am located with some reportedly up to 17 feet long not to mention the 1+million gators to boot.

@mystro: I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope that everything turned out to be OK. Do you recommend a particular load you use in your 12ga?

@dakota.potts: Great point with special attention to the legalities. My hope is to get out for a few days and camp. I am a sucker for revolvers, I have a model 19-3 would this suffice as a proper revolver caliber choice? I could pick up some nice heavy projectiles if needed.

@skizzums: I am tempted to bring out my Henry Big Boy .44 mag. But it is just too damn pretty :(. I am see how each response is justifiable and practical. I really do appreciate everyone throwing some wood on the fire to so I can have a small but great resource to make a decision.

@Panfisher: Thanks for your response. It seems there is a gravitation towards the 12ga and compliance. ;)

@the Big D: first off that's a funny name gave me a good chuckle. I am going to have to say I really DONT think the Rigby is the medicine I am looking for especially after researching the cost of ammunition.

@blindstitch: I heard some negative things about Marlin guide guns in the past few years...do you know if this has been remedied. I will look into guide sized options in the .45-70.

@Paul B: I am speechless, I would have never thought the large calibers would be so expensive. Talk about the compounded medications of the firearm world.

If the 19-3 is a .357 magnum like I'm reading, it will be more than sufficient. Florida deer are the size of large dogs and a good bonded bullet will be more than sufficient for hogs. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is bear, and those are really limited to a narrow area in Florida. Most would prefer a .44 magnum for black bear, but in general there are not many threats in Florida and they don't tend to be of the large variety. The only things I really feel concerned about are hogs or the possibility of an amped up deer in rut. Most things, including bears and gators, are more scared of you and are no big deal if you give them distance.

You could also get something like a Rossi Ranch Hand since it's considered a handgun and can be carried with a CWFL, but it would have to be concealed. Still, the ability to keep it in a backpack or something with a license would be beneficial over a long gun which has more restrictions. They come in .357 and .44 among other possible calibers

I am tempted to bring out my Henry Big Boy .44 mag.

Given D. Potts' point about long-arms being carried, and their subsequent suggestion of a revolver, a .44Mag seems a good choice. A 4" model will be packable, concealable (to a point) yet still able to generate enough oomph compared to one of those big-bore snubs. There are umpteen models available to choose from, too.

Back