G42, yeah or nay, but only if you say why

The OP asked about
G42 being unreliable with feeding or extraction/ejection issues

Yes, there are lots of other .380's and yes, a larger caliber would be preferable in many ways. But is the G42 reliable? The answer to that seems to mostly be yes, especially with the right ammo.

I would vote nay on the 42 because there are good 9mm pistols that have roughly the same footprint. Unless you're recoil averse, anyway. If I were going to carry a 380 I would want it in an LCP size.

A big Yeah!
The proof is in the shooting. The G42 is the softest shooting 380 I have shot. (I have not shot the S&W EZ.) Comparing it to a 9mm is just ludicrous. Even comparing it to its bigger brother the G43 is totally unrealistic. They are night and day different shooters. On paper they are similar is size and weight. But they carry and shoot totally different. If you don’t like 380, fine. And that handgun hero chart comparing the G42 to a Kahr CM9, please, the CM9 is one of the most unpleasant guns I have ever shot. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

A big Yeah!
The proof is in the shooting. The G42 is the softest shooting 380 I have shot. (I have not shot the S&W EZ.) Comparing it to a 9mm is just ludicrous. Even comparing it to its bigger brother the G43 is totally unrealistic. They are night and day different shooters. On paper they are similar is size and weight. But they carry and shoot totally different. If you don’t like 380, fine. And that handgun hero chart comparing the G42 to a Kahr CM9, please, the CM9 is one of the most unpleasant guns I have ever shot. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.
What he said and what I said..caliber wars..yikes..still gotta shoot the thing and again, for the OP..
MY 2 G42s were extremely reliable with any ammo, cheap to expensive, US, Mexican, Russian, steel, brass, aluminum case, JHP, fluted, FMJ..I can count on 1/2 of 1 hand any 'failures'' 2-3 stovepipes...on first, zero on second(about 1000 rounds)..

I say nay.
The G43 in 9mm would be the better option to me.

But after shooting it i said nay also.
The ergos just didn't fit me right. Felt weird in my hand, didn't point naturally to me, ( i should say for me). I also didn't care for the trigger.

In most typical Glock fashion, it did shoot a wide variety of ammo, and shot with every squeeze of the trigger.

I ended up buying a Walther PPS (1st gen).
It is my go to CCP.
Hits 22lr swinging targets at 15 yards.

After much holding/shooting my daughter ended up buying a Walther PPS M2. This has the "American" style mag release vs the "European" style that is part of the trigger guard on mine.

I should note that my daughter really wanted a Kimber Amethyst Ultra II, but didn't have that much to spend on a pistol. Lol

I think most problems with the G42 are user related, I had one for a short bit and it ran just fine. I'm not a big fan of the 380, just wanted to try one, but if I ever wanted another 380, I'd not hesitate to get a G42 again.

Yes. But, I sold mine. I had significant problem with bullet set-back.

My research tells me that my issue was a VERY VEEEERRRYYY rare occurrence. I'd take the chance on another, but I prefer the 43.

yay, it's on my list to look at but then I am actually going to shoot it.

I am not in to the "personal protection" game at all but am looking for something of a "kit gun" or "field gun" for walking long distances in the woods and plinking with, something accurate, interesting and different from a .22 but less a boomer than my .44

In that category I have noticed:
M&P 380 EZ might be a good shooter and will hold it's value on the used market.
PK380 has a terrible rep and the used market has decided it's a bit of crap.... I'd give $150 for a used one and then spend time fixing it.
Bersa Thunder... I had one and I regret selling it now. I may get another.

Ruger lcr / lcrx I see these as in the same category for me

G42. Yay. no matter if you like it or not, it will resell. Its a glock.

Gunbroker is great but always add $75 for shipping and ffl transfer

Sort of. The ads on Gunbroker will tell you what charges to expect for shipping, if you just read the fine print. Reading reports on this and other forums have led me to believe that FFL fees vary quite widely from place to place.

G42 - Tried one out and though I had no problems with function, it was just too small for my hand. S&W Shield is about as small as I have been able to go.

Back