G34 Mods for USPSA

Well, they say that no plan survives engagement and that usually goes for (my) USPSA and IDPA shooting. Just remember to visualize the stage serveral times so you can remember the order you want to shoot the targets and where you want to reload. If you don't get it quite right just adjust as best you can. There are times when steel is visible from two places. When that happens I take one shot on the steel and if I miss I shoot it from the next spot.

The important thing to remember about steel is that if you miss a second shot, slow down. Most people have a tendency to speed up and just keep missing. It's better to take a second to line up a hit than it is to shoot four misses in two seconds.

Yep, I've had a stage or two where I got in the "shoot faster!!!" mentality after missing a popper but those have obviously ended poorly. I've been getting better and slowing down for the second shot if needed. I've also gotten better at diagnosing my misses and it seems most of them happen when I try to move too fast or get overconfident and, in either case, don't focus on the front sight. I've hit a few no-shoots that way... hasn't happened recently as I've gotten better at doing it quickly.

My biggest problem with stage planning has always been sticking to my plan, but I've gotten better at that with some experience (less nerves/jitters). I will say I really enjoy the stress that competitve shooting puts you under, and also enjoy that I have been able to watch my abilities to shoot under stress continue improving.

With targets that are harder to hit either because of distance, close or overlapping no shoots, or partial target because of "hard cover" you need to slow down. A no shoot will kill your score. I sometimes shoot a third time at really distant targets or ones with hard cover.

Really close targets (<4 yards) you can point shoot really fast.

It's been said that once the buzzer goes off your pants could fall down and you wouldn't notice. Just imagine what the stress would be like if you had to defend your yourself.

Stress is self induced.
Not the situation that can motivate it, of course, but the stress and effect it has on us.
Training and practice can help control it, what ever the activity.

Good points about stress there, and one of the major reasons why I started getting into competitive shooting (besides that it's downright fun).

Thanks again for all of the help and advice!

Back