G19 vs G17 for IDPA

Glock cherry boy

Just a quick question, would the 17L be gaming it too much? I've handled one, and I really like the fit, and also the sight radius. I've never shot a Glock,
but this one sort of works with what eyesight I have left.

Having shot both the G17 and the G19, I have to say that while I KNOW the differences between the two theoretically favor the G17, in practice I can't really tell a difference.

I'd say pick the one that fits you best. My wife has been competing in GSSF (admittedly not the same as an IDPA match--and I'm not claiming otherwise) using one of my G17 pistols but recently got a Gen4 G19 because she said it fit her hand better. She shot a personal best in the first GSSF match she used the G19 in. For her, the small benefits of a slightly longer sight radius and a little more weight didn't help her as much as a gun that fit her well.

The IDPA journal says it is not training but a game. I think it is a good skills exercise and if you have other more realistic training, then the skills exercise compliments that.

If you claim that IDPA by itself is 'training', then that isn't totally on the mark.

regardless of 'game' chosen

I most highly recommend (on line and in person) that those who get paid to wear guns compete using the gun AND GEAR they get paid to wear.

This offers an opportunity to test what might be called on to save a life, and find out what really works, and what might get one killed.

Finally got it in. Shoot well, no problems with ejection or anything else. Glock seems to have taken care of the Gen 4 issues.

Back