G19 replacement?

Hey Spats;

Happy Turkey Day, btw.

As you know I've had my S&W M&P9 2.0 (4-inch) for a little over a year. I like it a lot better than my Glock19 gen4. The ergos are just a lot better. I think it might be more accurate, though I haven't put either on a bag to check that out. The M&P is definitely more tolerant of my reloads.

Personally, I've decided to keep my Glock, though it doesn't spend much time out of the safe, just because I think my safe should have at least one Glock in it.

But if you're committed to selling your Glock, and based on the your options, I'd say get the M&P 2.0. It's just a better gun. And it's a little less money, if that matters to you.

IMO you owe it to yourself to at least try the Gen 5 Glock 19. Without the finger grooves, the different trigger, and the marksman barrel - you might get along very well with it.

I really wanted to love the M&P 2.0 Compact but I could not shoot it as well as my Gen 2 Glock 19. The trigger reach was shorter and that the trigger breaks way back made it worse for me. I found the same with the CZ P10C.

I have a Walther PPQ and HK VP9. I find both to be awesome shooters for me and totally trouble free. Some find the PPQ trigger a bit too light for their comfort for CCW however. Both the PPQ and VP9 are larger in the grip than the Glock 19. The S&W Compact 2.0 is the only pistol on your list that truly is the same height as the Glock 19.

The HK VP9SK with the HK factory 13 round extended magazine is the same height as the Glock 19 but of course you lose 2 rounds.

Though I have not tried one myself, Beretta makes three sizes of their APX striker fired pistols now in 13, 15, and 17 rounds for 9MM. May be worth checking out too.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/apx-striker-family/

Have fun shopping around!

Last edited:
FairWarning said:
Walther P99AS. Best modern CCW they've ever made.
The Walther P99AS is excellent ... and about $500.

Walther recently had a partnership arrangement to produce a version of the P99 called the MR9 for Magnum Research. That arrangement was similar to Walther's earlier arrangement with S&W which produced the SW99. Beyond minor cosmetic differences, the frame and guts of the gun were made by Walther (the frame is even stamped "Walther" under the removable back strap) while the barrel and slide were made by Magnum Research.

The gist of this is that Magnum Research has discontinued the MR9, but new guns can still be found for around $350.

There are quite a bit of really nice 9mm guns out there and many every single bit as reliable as any Glock ever made. Glocks are nice guns, but there should never be one fit for all. I do not like the way they feel in my hand and the low bore axis.
Do some homework, shoot as many guns as you can along the way and then make a decision. I bet you can find many that actually shoot better.

I have no experience with most of the options you've listed but do have some with the SIG P320. The agency I recently retired from changed to the SIG. We had issued the Glock for over 20 years. I had every officer in the department test fire the P320 in both 9mm and .40. When the smoke cleared 31 preferred the SIG, 15 preferred the Glock and 17 had no preference. The features on the SIG that were specifically noted were: (1) much better trigger (2) ergonomics of the grip (3) sights (4) improved accuracy due to the combined effect of the first three items.

As a side note, the preferences for the grip modules were: 4 large, 29 medium, 30 small.

You might check with Arkansas Armory in Sherwood and see if they have one or more of the guns you're interested in available as a range rental. I don't know if Don's weaponry still offers rental guns on their range or not.

Unfortunately for me I retired before the SIG was issued so I went out the door with my Glock. It resides in my safe and I'm about to buy a P320.

There's as many polymer striker guns as there are campaign promises. They're everywhere and someone is adding a new model all the time. I've shot a lot of them and can't say I've truly noticed THAT much difference in how they actually shoot, only how they fit my hands. Glocks don't. It's different for everyone. I happen to think the P320 is among the best, as are the PPQ and VP9. Was never a fan of the original M&P but the new 2.0 models are beautiful. I had an XD for a while and it was also nice, although XD triggers are on the mushy side vs the new crop of striker guns.

I'm a HUGE fan of CZ, almost in fanboy territory, and a P-07 with red dot is my do everything gun. But I just can't force myself to love the P-10C. Something about it is just off putting to me. That said, they're releasing a whole new trio of that model including full and compact sizes, with some differences early next year.

I'm a hammer guy. I've shot all kinds of guns but there's something cool about seeing that hammer fall...

If a Gen5 G19 worked out, you would have the advantage of already having holsters, spare magazines, etc. If you have aftermarket sights on your current G19, you could remove them (and replace with OEM sights) before you sell it and put them on your new G19.

If a Gen5 G19 worked out, you would have the advantage of already having holsters, spare magazines, etc. If you have aftermarket sights on your current G19, you could remove them (and replace with OEM sights) before you sell it and put them on your new G19.
Good points

The trigger and grip on Gen 5 were improvements for sure

. . . .You might check with Arkansas Armory in Sherwood and see if they have one or more of the guns you're interested in available as a range rental. I don't know if Don's weaponry still offers rental guns on their range or not.

Unfortunately for me I retired before the SIG was issued so I went out the door with my Glock. It resides in my safe and I'm about to buy a P320.
Thank you all for your input. I had an ad out to sell my G19, which I have withdrawn. I sold a rifle that makes selling the G19 unnecessary, at least for the time being. With all of that said, I may yet replace her in a few months, with the current top contenders being a Gen 5 and a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. I have to admit, though, that the HK VP9SK is really tempting. Expensive, but tempting.

Arkansas Armory has a Gen 5, and M&P 2.0, which I'd like to shoot side-by-side. It does not have an HK VP9SK, which is one I'd really like to shoot, but it's a bit pricey for me. Don's still has rentals, and they're largely the same ones that AA has, the ones that they think will sell. (I'm not knocking them. If I ran a range, I'd want to rent out the ones I thought I could sell, too.) Neither Don's nor AA has the HK.

I've been a "Glock Guy" for years and the G19 is my go-to gun. But I really like the Smith 2.0. I ran across one for $400 +$5 transfer fee that I bought on a whim just to try it out. I still tend to reach for the Glock, to carry, but when I shoot them side by side at the range like both equally well. But you don't replace years of confidence in the Glock over night.

I bought the version with a thumb safety. This is a touchy subject with a lot of guys and I don't have any issue with the Glock not having a safety as long as it is in a holster. But there are times when I have a gun not in a holster and I feel better with a safety during those times. I've owned 1911's for over 40 years so that style of safety is 2nd nature to me anyway.

Regardless of how anyone feels about that the M&P is available with, or without the safety and you don't have to use the safety on the version with it. In fact it can be removed.

I want to like the Sig 320 and may well end up with one eventually. I rented one and shot it side by side with my Smith and Glock. It was fine, but wasn't any more or less accurate than the other 2. I liked it, just not enough to open my wallet. At least not yet.

Back