G19 replacement?

Spats McGee

Administrator
As some of you have undoubtedly realized, I like to start my overthinking early. I guess I like to beat the holiday rush. A little over five years ago, I bought a Glock 19, and I've considered replacing it a handful of times. For a variety of reasons, I believe the time has come to part ways with my G19, not without a little twinge of sadness.

As of this posting, I actually have listed my Glock for sale, and I hope she finds a good home. With that said, I still believe that the 9mm compact is quite possibly the best all-around pistol to be had. It is my hope that I will be able to replace her in fairly short order. I know I've done this dance before, but I'd still like your opinions on possible replacements. If I've missed one that you think I should consider, speak up now.

Before I get off into this, yes, I know I'll have to get to a range and shoot a few handguns. I'd be looking at this one mostly for the range, but also occasional carry, particularly in colder months.

Here's my current list:

1. Another G19. I have no complaints about my current G19. I'm ~2000 rounds in, and it's been a beast in terms of reliability. I had one spring break at ~400 rounds, and a handful (probably <10 other failures to feed). I would not feel bad about going this route again, but I will also admit that I've never been entirely satisfied with how well I shoot my G19. My current one is a Gen 4, and I'd also consider going with a different Gen to see if I shoot it any better.

2. S&W M&P 2.0 Compact -- This is the siren that has tempted me to cheat on my Glock since the day she came out. Going strictly by the numbers, it's almost identical to the G19, being slightly heavier and longer. Especially when you consider the 4.0" version. Would I shoot it any better than the G19? I don't know. I do know that I have a Shield that I really like. I also know that the grip texturing is really aggressive, but that sandpaper can solve that.

3. Springfield Armory XD(M) 3.8" Compact 9mm -- This one's been on my Contender List before. It gives up a round the #1 and #2, as well as a little barrel length. A little heavier, too. I like the idea of a grip safety, though. (Clearly, I don't like it well enough to make it a requirement . . . )

4. CZ P10C -- Again, almost identical to the G19, but I don't know that my local range will have any for me to shoot. How's this one doing out in the real world?

I looked at HK and Sig. I really like the idea of owning one of those, but I could not find anything that fits what I'm looking for. Too heavy, too expensive, has a thumb safety, blah, blah, blah. Maybe I'm just too Goldilocks about this.

What models am I missing in creating The Long List?

Given that the replacements you listed are basically alternatives to the G19, knowing why you want to replace the G19 might help. Is it just you're not happy with how you shoot it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I purchased a Gen 5 19 a few weeks ago. I've put a few hundred rounds out of it with no issue. The trigger is different for sure. I've never owned a Gen 4 of any kind but I had a Gen 3 19 that was my daily carry for quite a while. I loved it but I prefer not having the finger grooves due to my thicker fingers never lining up right. So maybe a Gen 5 could make the difference. Or instead of replacing your 19, since it's mainly for range use (if I understood that correctly), put a little money into some trigger upgrades if you haven't already.

I just recently traded a PC Shield 9 for a gen 5 g19. I haven't shot it yet, but it does feel different. I currently have large, almost straight backstrap on it, but that's subject to change. I do like how it feels currently, which is saying a lot, because I haven't been a Glock fan since I first grabbed an M&P.

Currently I carry a 2.0 M&P 40 on duty, and a compact one will find it's way into my life, I'm thinking g19 for 2.0 trade honestly. It's hard to argue the ergos, and I think better trigger. Plus I like the aggressive stippling...

I like the VP from H&K as well. Just haven't pulled the trigger, pun intended, on buying one yet. Personally, I think it's got the best trigger of any polymer, with the 2.0 just behind it.

Given that the replacements you listed are basically alternatives to the G19, knowing why you want to replace the G19 might help. Is it just you're not happy with how you shoot it?

My question too, particularly since one of the mentioned 'choices' is another G19..wonder what question he wishes to answer, what problem he wishes to solve.

what problem he wishes to solve.
First off the problem not understanding rule #1.

I looked at HK and Sig. I really like the idea of owning one of those, but I could not find anything that fits what I'm looking for. Too heavy, too expensive, has a thumb safety, blah, blah, blah. Maybe I'm just too Goldilocks about this.

You obviously haven't looked at the Sig P320!
My particular choice to supliment, not replace my XD40 Sub Compact Springfield Armory is the P320 Carry. Grip length, and 17+1 capacity of the full size with the shorter slide of the compact model.

Last edited:

The short story is that I need to free up a few hundred dollars, and selling the G19 is the easiest, fastest way for me to do that. I shoot it moderately well, but not fantastically so. I like that "size/weight class" of pistol for an all-around gun. So if I'm going to have to sell and replace, I would like to be sure that I'm spending my $ wisely.

Adding to the list:
FNS
P320
PPQ
PPAS

I really like my S&W M&P 2.0 compact. I’ve had the HK VP9 on two different occasions and I just couldn’t shoot it very well. My friend has a PPQ and that has the best striker fire trigger I’ve ever felt. Actually accidentally double-tapped with that a couple times so I’d personally not use it for carry.

I had a Glock 19 gen3. Liked it , didn’t love it. I’ve been thinking about trying a gen 5 but haven’t felt the need to since I like my Smith and Wesson so much. I am seriously considering a 19x though.

Happy hunting!!

The short story is that I need to free up a few hundred dollars, and selling the G19 is the easiest, fastest way for me to do that.

Can you explain how that will work since you are replacing it? If it’s personal, I totally understand and NO would be considered a polite and fine answer...:cool:

That said, I like guns with thumb safeties and have replaced my g23 with a m&p 2.0 5” with a safety. I like everything about it better, except one thing.....the bullets gone go where I aim. It is the trigger, but the trigger is not to blame, I am. So, I have both until I learn the m&p. This pains me as I hate my g23, even though I shoot it soooo well....ok, good enough.:D

I may sell both and return the 1911 to duty!

. . . . You obviously haven't looked at the Sig P320!
My particular choice to supliment, not replace my XD40 Sub Compact Springfield Armory is the P320 Carry. Grip length, and 17+1 capacity of the full size with the shorter slide of the compact model.
Ooooh . . . . I'd totally forgotten about the modular aspect of the P320! That's looking better and better all the time.

I recently went back to a Glock after having several M&P pistols over the last few years. I found a deal on a G19 gen 5 so I thought I would try it out. I couldn't be happier with it.

From the guns on your list I personally would go with the G19.5 or M&PC 2.0.

"...not understanding rule #1..." Rule Number One is, "If it works, don't fix it."
"...different Gen to see if..." That won't make you shoot any better. Differences between a Gen 4 and 5 are discussed here.
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/glock-gen-4-vs-gen-5-handgun-differences/
"...need to free up a few hundred dollars..." I've always said firearms are like money in the bank. Except for the lack of interest, that these days usually isn't enough to consider important, you can pretty much rely on being able to sell and latter replace most modern pistols without much fuss. Sad to have to sell one's toys though. Had to sell an Issue 1911A1 years ago to pay a lawyer. Friggin' thing would be worth a lot more now. Replaced it with a Colt Series 70, so I don't think I did too bad.
Anyway, 3 to 6 months gives you lots of time to fondle things in gun shops.

I know its a little different than what others have been thinking but I picked up a G30S and it is about the same size of the G19, and I really like it a lot. Fits the same holsters and has good capacity in 45acp and I am comfortable with the operations. Unless your just sticking with 9mm?

Ther’e not a bad choice to be made between the ones listed. I’m partial to my Glock 19x, although I also have a Gen3 Glock 19.

Back