Funniest /Stupidest military Commanders?

Gary, I read about "Monty". Some famous American leader said about him, "Of course, he never lost a battle -- he never fights!"

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

My choice for bad leader would be either General Almond of the US 10 Corps for stringing the 1st Marine and 7th Infantry divisions out along the Chosin reservoir (so the chinese could chop them up), or the fool who commanded the beach head at Anzio who stayed on the beach until the Germans could bring their units to the party. Montgomery was just average in both skill and ineptitude

My vote goes to Gen. Braxton Bragg of the CSA during the War for Southern Independence. In my estimation he could be the number one reason the South lost the war.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited December 27, 1999).]

Fort Devens Mass. Winter of 65/66. New 2LT gave one of the guys in my barracks a gig for "unauthorized pets on person". The guy had caught cr*bs while on Christmas leave. I got gigged for "unauthorized rope on bunk", a loose thread that I had not noticed. We took down the gig sheet and gave to the guy with the "pets".

My vote goes to Rear Admiral R Crutchley (royal navy) who was in charge of the allied screening force the night of the invasion of Guadalcanal. His ineptitude and the fact that he left his command to spend the night inside the destroyer screen with his ship (Australia) led to the US Navy's worst combat defeat at the battle of Savo Island.
Three US and one Australian cruiser were lost.

That was the last time US forces were placed under direct foreign command, at least until Slick Willie was put in charge.

Back