Functional "classification" of handguns

So is this all a matter of individual preferences or ARE there guns that are better for very specific roles than others?

I am going to venture a yes and yes. I see people and read about people in gun forums who use an AR type rifle to hunt. I personally don't. Not to say an AR is a poor choice but to say I have much better choices labeled as hunting rifles. A good number of people use an AR rifle as a home defense gun. I don't and again simply because I have other guns I feel are better suited to the roll. Tell the truth, I haven'ta clue what an AR is marketed as?

There are obviously guns which are tailored for specific rolls and actually some guns were developed with a specific purpose in mind the day the gun went to the drawing table. Then there are guns that sprout variations which refine the gun for special purposes. Likely one of the most popular sub machine guns invented is the HK MP5 sub machine gun. I understand the MP actually stands for Multi Purpose. Currently I believe there are something like over 100 variants of the MP5 available to cover the large number of different tactical requirements for a wide variety of users.

In the final analysis it is people who purpose their guns based on their preferences and budget.

Just My Take....
Ron

Likely one of the most popular sub machine guns invented is the HK MP5 sub machine gun. I understand the MP actually stands for Multi Purpose.
wiki says, "The Heckler & Koch MP5 (from German: Maschinenpistole 5..." I think that's more likely correct.

Personally, I think the MP5SD5 (SD is schalldämpfer) would be an ideal HD gun: suppressed, and a 3-round burst trigger because, well, 9mm's a tad on the wimpy side to depend on one round fired.

Of course, some guy named Hughes decided I shouldn't be able to own one.

In years gone by there was a distinction between "'service" and "target models". The Colt Official Police with fixed sights was a "service" model, the Officer's Model Match with high front sight and adjustable rear sight was the "target" model. Starting in the 1950s when shooters realized adjustable sights were suitable for 'service" use the distinctions became blurred. The S&W Combat Masterpiece-a K-14 with a 4" barrel and Baughman ramp front sight, e.g.

So is this all a matter of individual preferences or ARE there guns that are better for very specific roles than others?

OF course there are guns that are better suited for very specific roles than others. THAT's WHY they are made the way they are made. Calibers & cartridges, too.

I've got handguns ranging from a 14" .45-70 to a Colt Agent .38 with a 2.5" barrel. Do you think that they are equally well suited for every task one might wish to use them for? I don't.

Now, if you're only looking at a few dozen different brands and models of service type semi autos in 9mm, I think individual preference for which gun to use in what role is the key factor. But when you are talking about vastly different types of handguns, some are obviously better suited to some things than they are to others. A nearly two foot long single shot hand cannon isn't what I'd pick to drop in my pocket if I'm checking out something that went bump in the night. Nor is the snubnose .38 or "pocket 9" what I would pick to drop a deer at 100 yards.

Can it be done? yeah, but the drawbacks are ...considerable.

And, wiki is correct, MP does not stand for Multi Purpose in the name of the MP 5. MP stands for MaschinenPistole (machine pistol) which is the German term for submachine gun, and has been in use, with that meaning since about the end of WW I.

Pick up trucks are made to haul and tow things that cars can't do and that you don't need an 18 wheeler for. They do some things very well and some things not so well. Big and small versions are built. They have a clear purpose. If 50% of all pick up trucks never carry anything more than groceries and beer, they are still pick up trucks. How the individual user chooses to use them is up to them.

Same rule applies to guns and any other useful commodity.

A S&W 52-2 is a dedicated bullseye gun for 38 Spl. wadcutters for certain types of competitive shooting. You can use it for whatever a person wants but it's nature don't change.

A Seecamp 32 or the Sig P238 are small back up guns for deep concealment.

A Pardini FPM in .22 LR is an Olympic class competitive free pistol. That's it's function. You can do something else with it, but...

What the role of a gun is and why it was built is different from how it may be used by a given individual.

tipoc

Well, I have different guns for different jobs. But I usually like to buy a gun that I see as an "all-around" pistol. Which all of mine are, with an exception of the Smith and Wesson 360PD. That is a backup gun only.

I have some range guns, too. In all honesty, for the most part, it's entirely up to you and what you designate them as.

Granted, a 9mm or .380 would be a poor choice as a woods gun. So it really does depend. But in a general sense, yes.

Back