Function of the 1911 .45

Well, while I don't agree with Jim on his contention that Kuhnhausen doesn't know how the 1911 operates, he's certainly correct on his contention that his experiment would yield the results he claims. One thing that I take issue with is the contention that there is no danger. Since the bullet is not allowed to move, it's difficult to know what pressures are generated in the chamber, and it's likely they're much greater than they would be in normal operation. I see a real risk of a case failure doing this experiment, so I'd recommend that the kids don't try this at home.

Hi, Johnwill and guys,

I understand your caution, but in fact the cases show no signs of high pressure. Primers appear normal, no different from those fired normally. After all, in a recoil operated pistol, the pressure is contained until the bullet is out of the barrel. It is just that in normal firing, the pressure rises, peaks and then drops as the bullet moves. In the case of the blocked barrel, the pressure seems to leak out around the case. I don't have pressure testing equipment, but I doubt it actually goes much higher than in normal use.

Kuhnhausen's books are very good and probably the best on accurizing the 1911 type. But his drawings show the pistol still fully closed and locked with the bullet out of the barrel. If that were the case, the gun should not function. Actually, the barrel begins to recoil to the rear when the bullet begins to move forward, and the barrel has moved about 1/8-1/4 inch before bullet exit. It is that impulse that operates the pistol for its reloading cycle.

Jim

Dear Jim, Ken, and guys:

This is a great discussion and I for one want to thank you all for the enlightenment.

While it is hard to believe that the slide will not move unless the barrel moves, I am smart enough to know that I don't know everything and that lots of things work contrary to common sense.

It may be true that Kuhnhausen does not know the true function of a Colt 45 Auto. To tighten the bushing, fit the barrel lugs, and lighten the trigger pull does not necessarily mean the technician knows everything about the pistol.

That said, in the absence of high speed photography and other modern marvels, I wonder if JMB hisself knew for sure how his pistol really works? ;>
Thank you for an enjoyable educational experience.

------------------
o I raised my hand to eye level, like pointing a finger, and fired. Wild Bill Hickok

Back