Fun With The Highway Patrolman

I had a 6” Model 28, but for some odd reason I just didn’t shoot it very well. I wound up trading it + $100.00 cash for my 4” Model 57 no dash. I’d love a 4” Model 28, but even more a Model 27.

Tapered barrel N Frames are the sexiest revolvers going.;)
Just needs some stag grips to go along with the grip adapter.

"Tapered barrel N Frames are the sexiest revolvers going."

You are not kidding, especially ones with 4" barrels.

They look so... RIGHT.

I used to have a 6” Model 28 that was my hunting revolver for deer and smaller game. Laser accurate, I just couldn’t miss. My son shot a whitetail, silhouetted at the top of a hill by the setting sun. Guessing elevation for a vitals hit, the slug struck it in the low neck, dropping her in her tracks. 170 yards paced off.
I love N frame 357’s, having a 38 Outdoorsman, 3 1/3 inch Model 27 that was an FBI issue firearm, and the previously mentioned Highway Patrolman.

tapered barrels

Yeah, the sleek lines of the tapered barrels just look right. The M27 & M28 examples, so too, the various Mountain Guns. As far as looks go, for me, the intermediate 3.5" M27's look absolutely fantastic. I actually bid on a nickel barrel in that length, but it got out of my price range.....quickly.

One of these days I'll obtain the correct T-grip for my M28 as well.

My third gun period was a well worn 28-2. I sold it when I was getting ready to move back in 1982 and wanted another one right away, but bought many other revolvers along the years until 2019, when I bought three of them. Two 4" ones and a 6". All of them in excellent condition and a lot more expensive than I paid in 1977.

I consider the 28-2 the best DA .357 you can get, for the money.

Handsome, bank vault strong, adjustable sights, and the usual excellent S&W trigger. What's better?? Nothing I've found, and I've experienced a LOT, :D

Back