Fun With The Highway Patrolman

mk70ss

Took out the old S&W Highway Patrolman .357 for some backyard range time today. Put 50 rounds of .357 ammo through it. The old wheelgun still gets the job done just fine.

Almost invisible right?

Bought on GB. Came with an undisclosed damaged rear sight blade. I got an education on the different blade heights. I think I ordered the new one from Numrich. I don't recall where I bought the grips, probably E-Bay. I have them for a couple of my model 65s too.

I haven't fired it much but that's about to change. I had a 29 back in the day and am looking forward to shooting my 28.

I have a Hiway Patrolman that belonged to my dad. He bought, loaded it and put it in his nightstand unfired. I got it when he passed away in 2003. It is still unfired. Someday I will shoot it.

Nice looking gun and excellent shooting. :D

work horse

The no frills Hwy Patrolman is a real work horse. I like the way the pics show the revolver set up by the OP...Tyler grip adapter (well, possibly a Pachmyer). So configured, the N-frame service grip becomes useable for me. The big target grips are fine, but the tidy T-grip allows the big revolver to carry easier.......well, sort of.

Years ago, I got what I thought was a pretty good deal on a used Highway Patrol model with a six-inch barrel. Don't remember the price. I haven't shot it recently, but your photos have caused an itch I need to scratch soon.

Bought my 6" back in 1981, wears Herrett's grips. A 6" M-28 is as close to an all-arounder as we'll find, that heavy frame absorbs recoil nicely, firing 38s-they feel like 22s.

6 inch

A .357 revolver is indeed a very useful all around handgun. For me, the 4" barrel versions are a bit more practical as they carry easier. The two 6 inch N-frames I've had were great guns and I did quite a bit of .chuck hunting with the M27. I never minded the longer revolver when wandering about hay fields, but in the woods with a bit of cover and some topography, the long guns with their big grips were cumbersome.

Great gun and VERY nice groups too...hard to beat a Smith M-28 for day to day, night to night usefulness. Good work there, senor! Rod

I like the way the pics show the revolver set up by the OP...Tyler grip adapter (well, possibly a Pachmyer). So configured, the N-frame service grip becomes useable for me. The big target grips are fine, but the tidy T-grip allows the big revolver to carry easier
Yep, me too....those Magna grips with the adapter fit me a whole lot better than the 'big chunk of wood late model targets'. Rod

[][/url]

Bought on GB. Came with an undisclosed damaged rear sight blade. I got an education on the different blade heights. I think I ordered the new one from Numrich. I don't recall where I bought the grips, probably E-Bay. I have them for a couple of my model 65s too.

I haven't fired it much but that's about to change. I had a 29 back in the day and am looking forward to shooting my 28.

Nice looking Smith!

I see in the picture that it's resting on a pistol rug. I'm wondering if that's where you store it and if you do, have you had any problems with rust, mold, etc.?

Reason I ask is I've "heard" that it's not a good idea to store guns in a rug and I'm looking for at least one real data point.

I have had 3 or 4 and sold them. I regretted it soon after. I got another 4 inch a year ago and paid $700. I haven't shot it much but I carry it occasionally. I like the heft of it. I put a Hogue monogrip on it and it feels just right in my hand.

I had one in the early eighties that I sent to Snap's Gun Shop in Claire, MI to be converted to .44 Special. It become my favorite gun but sold it some years ago due to not shooting it much anymore.

The 6" model 28 is my favorite DA revolver. And my favorite .357 Magnum revolver. And, to me its always been the best value .357 money could buy.

The only differences between the Model 27 and the Model 28 are the finish, hammer & trigger, and stocks. (I count difference in the sights as part of the finish). and the $$$$

I don't need a red ramp/ white outline rear sight. They're nice but I don't need them. I actually prefer the Highway Patrolman's satin blue over the high lustre blue of the 27 (or 57, or 29).

My favorite 28 is one I found ASNIB (unfired) at a gun show in the mid 80s, which had the S&W Target hammer and trigger installed, making it (to me) the best of both worlds. My gun has worn Pachmayr grips since I started shooting it, and it will easily handle "real" .357 Magnum loads, including stuff that is too hot for K frames and some other guns.

Its big, its heavy, in comparison to smaller lighter guns, but its meant to be. If that's too much for you, you should probably choose something else.

The current Tacticool generation doesn't know what they're missing if they think having at least one .357 wheelgun is "old fashioned". :rolleyes:

I've always preferred 6"-8" barrels to reach out and touch something, but I need to get a 4" .357 one of these days.

Nice looking Smith!

I see in the picture that it's resting on a pistol rug. I'm wondering if that's where you store it and if you do, have you had any problems with rust, mold, etc.?

Reason I ask is I've "heard" that it's not a good idea to store guns in a rug and I'm looking for at least one real data point.
I have stored CLP cleaned and wiped pistols in rugs since 1979 including blued Walther PP, Ruger Blackhawk, Colt 1911 Gold Cup, Browning Hi-Power, and S&W Model 13, and 28. My nickel and stainless do just fine too. Right now they reside in a Golden Rod humidity controlled safe in their rugs so I don’t worry about rust.

A 6" Highway Patrolman was the first gun I bought with my own money, at the late, lamented San Francisco Gun Exchange in the mid 80s. Still have it.

Back