Full Length Guide Rods?

I will add another related question.

Instead of a FLGR, how about Harrts Recoil Reducer? Would that compromise the reliability or accuracy of the 1911 in any way?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

OK all you FLGR haters, other than take down procedures and dangerous 'press checking' habits, can you think of anything that a FLGR hurts, does it hinder anything. Does it make your gun shoot worse?

I've got guns set up both ways, and really never think about it until somebody starts raggin' on FLGR's.

I can't tell much difference except in loosely fitted guns[usually COLT's BigG]. They usually seem to cycle smoother with a FLGR in place.

If I were setting up the ultimate LW carry pistol, I probally would not put in a FLGR, just to save weight. Other than that, the suite me fine.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

The full length guide rod may seem like a "brilliant solution to a non-existent problem", but I've had one in my Colt for over 10 years and never had a problem with it.

And yes, alot of people that recommend them are the people that sell them. But, those are also people like Ed Brown, Bill Wilson etc.... that have "forgotten" more about .45's than most of us will ever know.

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited January 06, 2000).]

I've had a FLGR in my 1911 since I built it 3 years ago, not so much because I was concerned about the spring kinking, but because I prefer the added weight out front. I've never had a problem and disassembly time/difficulty doesn't seem any different than a standard setup.

As far as it preventing press checks is concerned, they're a dangerous habit to get into in the first place (unless you like only being able to count to 9). Somewhat similar to using your foot to check if the blades are moving on a running lawnmower.

Since no one else is mentioning it...

FLGR's make PINCH checking impossible.

If they make PRESS checking impossible for you, than a FLGR is the least of your problems :)

"Dangerous pinch testing?" Ever had an AD from doing one? Ever HEARD of anyond discharging from doing one?

Good post a while back on AD's... didn't see on from pinch testing, though I concede that a totally unfamiliar/untrained person could do it... then again, he shouldn't be handling your loaded weapon.

I submit that maybe it is better to know when there is a round in the chamber by doing a pinch check than to remove the mag and rack the slide to remove any doubt...

just MHO

Yup, I like the shock buffs in my full size Colts. They cushion the impact of the slide driving the spring guide back into the frame. No malfs, so far! I consider 'em cheap insurance. :)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Yes, I use the blue Wilson's shock buffs on my full size 1911s, but not on my Officer's ACP.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I have both a Springfield "loaded" gov' model and a Kimber custom. I took the FLRG out of both after shooting maybe 4-500 rds and notice no difference in accuracy or rliability. (both excellent) I do notice that the Springfield is like a colt without the FLRG, it rattle's. Never used "buffer's".

Back