Full disclosure

the45er

I am basically a shotgun shooter but over the years I've collected 23 pistols and have the opportunity to shoot them everyday off of my back porch. I am not a very good shot and I'm not that knowledgeable about pistols compared to many on this forum. I do reload both 45's and 40's and 99% of what I load are relatively "light", with cast lead bullets.

I sort of collect 1911's, having 9 of them (Colts, Springfield Armorys, Kimber, Remington, Taurus, and Magnum Research). I also have a Para Ordnance LDA 40, which is 1911 style, but DA only. I think they are the most beautifully designed and feel better than any other pistol style, but................

.............I seem to shoot my Glock and FN 40's and even my little S&W M&P and and Ruger 345 45's better than the 1911's. And that Para Ordnance LDA, wow, I really can group them with that gun. I say "seem" because only a real, objectively performed test could really tell if there's a real difference, but it sure seems that way.

Are any of you out there with similar thoughts? I'm rather "surprised" at my own experiences and am wondering if there are other pistol shooters out there who might feel the same?

For years I was better with Glocks than 1911s or revolvers, now I shoot the 1911 best.

Sometimes a very crisp trigger like a nice 1911 causes trouble with anticipation. You know exactly when the trigger will break and you pull off target a bit.

The other pistols all have less crisp triggers and it's harder to anticipate the shot. The smooth DA of the Para seems to work for you.

Kind of like shooting a revolver in SA versus DA. Some days the long DA pull is just the ticket for good shooting.

Loose lips, sink ships !!!

Folks,
With all due respect, do we really want to tell everyone, what we have and what we shoot? I gladly admit that I'm private and protective as well as borderline Paranoid, ……. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Folks,

With all due respect, do we really want to tell everyone, what we have and what we shoot? I gladly admit that I'm private and protective as well as borderline Paranoid, ……. ;)

Be Safe !!!
Then why be on this forum?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, do we really want to tell everyone, what we have and what we shoot?

I'm on the fence on this one.

Certainly theft and burglary are a real enough problem so that any rational person takes precautions.

The knock on the door from the AUTHORITIES ("you haff ze PAPERS for all zes weapons???") might be a bit paranoid but when the anti-gun folk say it absolutely, positively is a definite sign of sever mental illness I start to realize there are a LOT of people that would not only be perfectly comfortable with such a scenario they are, today, actively organizing for it (and they really are).

Then there's the social aspect. San Francisco has deemed the NRA a terrorist organization so what's an NRA member to do with that? While being socially "shunned" might not have many actual consequences it would still be irritating.

OTOH

Owning and shooting guns responsibly is NOT a crime. No it really isn't. In Minnesota our high school students are taking up trap shooting as a sport in increasing numbers (and that's the most hopeful, positive thing I've seen in a long time). It just feels right and satisfying to get up and say "durn right I own 'em and shoot 'em. ANYBODY GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT???"

So color me undecided.

Had a similar revelation about ten years ago.

My nice 1911 had a better trigger, better grip, and better sights than the rental Glock. Better mechanical accuracy, too. Case closed, right? Not quite. After one rental of the Glock and making a fairly serious effort at running the plates a few times, I couldn't tell the difference in the end result.

I still very much appreciate a good combo of grip, sights, and trigger -- but it's not the end of the story.

Pahoo

There is no expectation of privacy any time you go on line or use your cell phone.

None.

Period.

To think otherwise is just silly.

We should be able to discuss technical aspects of shooting legally owned guns without fear.

If you're too afraid to talk about your guns online, maybe just sit out the thread instead of side tracking it with paranoia.

IMHO, a pistol you train & practice with a lot is a pistol that can work very well for its intended purpose. I shoot my Glocks to the point of beating up on them, because I can do that to my Glocks. In the unlikely event that one of them breaks I can easily and (relatively) inexpensively get it fixed. In the more unlikely event that I need to sell one, I can easily replace it. I can’t say that about the other brands I own, since most are more difficult and much more expensive to get repaired, and many of them are no longer in production.

I have only been shooting Glock and S&W striker fired pistols the last 2 years, and was surprised how accurate they were and easy to shoot accurately. I think it speaks to how well modern major manufacturers pistols are made.

I shoot 1911's much better than Glocks. That may be because I started shooting them when I was 10. If I point shoot, a Glock shoots much higher than a 1911. I'm also a single action fan and that extremely long trigger pull on the Glock while smooth is disconcerting. I don't care for DA revolvers either.

Sometimes it's as simple as ergonomics and grip angles. I shoot terribly with Glocks, they don't point naturally for me, I seem to shoot high with them, am far more accurate with my Sig P226 which I believe has grip angle closer to 1911

My wife had a glock 26. We both shot it a few times. It did always go bang. Used it as a small trade in on a Dan Wesson Valor in 45.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

At speed or with drills I generally shoot my Glocks (my only striker guns I shoot regular) about the same speed and accuracy as 1911s in the same caliber.

Out past 20 yards is where my 1911s really pull away, especially my 10mm.

7-10 yards? It's a tossup depending on which I've been shooting more lately

Hawg: said:
I shoot 1911's much better than Glocks.
Likewise, but I own & shoot both.

If I point shoot, a Glock shoots much higher than a 1911.
My Gen3 Glocks have Grip Force Adapters on them, the Gen4 21 and the 19X have the large beavertail backstraps on them, these help with the pointability if these guns to targets and helps to avoid slide bite.

I am a staunch advocate of the 1911 and FN Hi Power pistols and know how to shoot them with fifty years of LE service and retired pursuit of my favorite hobby (after 55Chevy’s) collecting, handling and shooting firearms. I have found I can shoot most anything accurately but the 1911 feels great in the hand, Moreno than anything short of a SAA.

Pahoo, Since I have only a couple of hundred firearms in my safes I shall heed your warning and make sure a loaded one is nearby.

Just one ???

Pahoo, Since I have only a couple of hundred firearms in my safes I shall heed your warning and make sure a loaded one is nearby.

Just one ?? !!! ……. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back