Full Auto - of any real use?

jmorris said:
I agree, it was just the first example I came across that showed that they are not some uncontrollable beast that sprays bullets in every direction except where the shooter intended them to go. However, a guy that doesn't really know what he is doing might even be a better example vs someone who has BTDT.

My first "Chuck" attempt with a MAC-10 resulted in one round on the edge of a B-27 target at 10yds, two rounds on paper and the remainder of the magazine to parts unknown. You could have given me a Jennings J-22 and I could have done better.

A .45 caliber submachinegun with a 1200rpm rate of fire and sized like a big pistol is not a puppy dog. You certainly don't want to be trying anything you first saw in a movie with one if you don't have some experience with them.

Like a Corvette or other fancy car, they are fun things to have, but to rely on them for daily use...?

That's an interesting comparison to make since transferables cost as much as Corvettes.

I'm new here and saw this thread. Please don't beat me up to hard for bringing it back. I will expect a black eye or broken rib over it. I have read all of this and for the average person most of this is true. Every gun has its place. Different jobs call for different guns. Back in my day uncle Sam flipped the bill on the ammo. I would be on the range until the truck was empty and then the next day would start. This would go on for a while. You are only as good as you train. If you want to be good on the weapon u own , find a source for ammo cheep, buy in bulk, get A LOT of magazines. When u go to the range train hard don't play, train like your life depends on it. O by the way try to find a range you can draw from the holster and train like hell

My Dad, who was a front line solder in Europe in WW2, said this about the hand-held full autos used by the German army, "If they missed you with the first shot, you were probably safe, because recoil caused all the other shots to go high." I suspect that newer full autos are more effective, but I don't know.

It depends on the gun, cartridge, shooter. I have trained with and carried full auto weapons for decades. A belt fed machine gun needs to be in a fixture to be the most effective. AR's are wonderful but would limit the distance to 15 yards on full auto. H&K UMP's I hate while MP5's are wonderful to shoot.

I really see no use for full auto outside of a belt fed machine gun in a military context. A good rifleman with a good semi auto can lay down withering aimed fire when properly trained.

My first "Chuck" attempt with a MAC-10 resulted in one round on the edge of a B-27 target at 10yds, two rounds on paper and the remainder of the magazine to parts unknown. You could have given me a Jennings J-22 and I could have done better.

A .45 caliber submachinegun with a 1200rpm rate of fire and sized like a big pistol is not a puppy dog. You certainly don't want to be trying anything you first saw in a movie with one if you don't have some experience with them.

I used one of those in the 80's with a can attached. With the stock extended and holding the can they are awesome little sub guns.

I think they're of real use to firing ranges. The ones I've been to charge up to, or over $200 for the full auto "experience."

With a cycle rate of 300 - 600 rounds per minute a 30 round mag lasts 5 - 10 seconds. If I'm going to pay $200 for 5 seconds of fun, there better be a naked woman in the room. . .

Full autos in the right hands trained to use them are good. I believe the public should be able to own anything the military has. If you have the money to own one then u have the money to train with one. If all u want to do is train for defence ok.If you want to be the aggressor ok. Just remember the first one on target WINS, and if u have multiple u make sure u r the only one left stamding. When full auto goes off most people take cover. Its just enough time to take control of the situation.

Trained to be the agressor? I don't think it is any part of our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I am done here. So long gentlemen.

-TL

The M-16 and the M2 carbine, full auto version of the M-1 carbine, had the same rate of fire. I don't recall what it was but I really set me back. M-1 carbine had a 10rd magazine, put it in an M-2 and 10 rds don't go far. Seem like the M-16 had a 20 round mag, on full auto we shot three round burst's. Just let it go and you'd be out of ammo so fast your head would spin. But there are situation's where full auto could be handy but they. The few time's I've shot the M-16 on full auto, it was fired from the waist tnd off hand on the barrel guard. The thing on full auto climbed.

While pulling the trigger. On average saying squeeze and release should get u 5 to 6 rounds at a time. Its all about trigger control

Back