full auto ban

Ok, so let me get this right. I can purchse a fully automatic weapon as long as it pre 1986 produced and without a class 3 license. Just a weapons permit?? I cant find anything thats backs this so if you would please post a link to where it say this. I did find something about house bill 4432 I belive it was, that said something along the lines of this but didnt really make any since to me.

Im not trying to get in this debate I just wont to know if I can really purchse a fully automatic rifle being pre1986. I think it would be awseom to have in the collection

Hog Hunter,

Only macine guns manufactured and registered prior to May of 1986 may be legally owned.

You still have to have the tax stamp and register it.

The Hughes amendment outlawed new registration of machine guns.

Ok so if I find a pre 1986 FA weapon and get the stamp ( by the way what does this stamp consist of and how do you get it) and get the firearm registerd I can buy and legally own it.

I been trying to find out more own it but all I can find is stuff written in pig latin that I dont understand the half of it.

Ok sorry I had a brain fart on what you wrote I get it now. Its not posible to register a weapon now it had to be registered befor 1986. Am I right on this. I think im still kinda lost.

You need to visit your closest class III firearms dealer he can explain it all. You complete the normal forms as with any other firearm purchase along with form 4. You will have to wait about 3 months and you can set it up as a trust meaning the trust owns the gun and you own the trust and the trust paper stays with the weapon. That way no one knows you own it and you don't need your sheriffs approval. Or the other way you must get your name and something else (I can't remember what else) stamped on the gun and get the sheriffs aproval. It goes something like that not 100% sure on all the details. That is how pretty much any NFA purchase works ex. a siliencer.

I understand the argument that the general population will not support the idea of fully automatic weapons being able to be produced and owned by any citizen but I don’t see anywhere in the 2A that it says semi auto only.

I have gotten blown out of the water in this forum before because apparently lawyer speak "Shall not be infringed" means something totally different from common English "Shall not be infringed". I don’t understand it or agree with it but some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum seem to agree on this idea, so it could simply be that Im wrong..

It’s easy to forget that common folks could and did own cannons and various arms and explosives and all sorts of things we would be put under the prison for owning now.

Personally as constitutional issues I believe most all if not necessarily all gun laws are unconstitutional but our courts seem to refer to various rulings and the politics of the time to make judgments when in fact the Bill of Rights stands superior to all documents that conflict with it, adjudged or passed into law.

I don’t want this to be mistaken for a rant though because this is a considered opinion and I do see hope for the future and in balance a lot of wrongs of the past are at least in part being righted.

It is my great hope that in my lifetime somewhere along the way our nation will go to the common English version of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. We the people have the power in our votes and in our hands.

:)

Last edited:
It’s easy to forget that common folks could and did own cannons and various arms and explosives and all sorts of things we would be put under the prison for owning now.
Actually, you can buy, sell own, build cannons all day long and you don't even need to speak to the ATF!!! It is a smoothbore muzzle loader and thus exempt from being deemed a "firearm" as the feds define them. Just like I can buy a muzzle loader in Walmart and I don't even have to show my ID as I look more than the 18 year old age they require...

Brent

I been trying to find out more own it but all I can find is stuff written in pig latin that I dont understand the half of it.

OK, here's the skinny. Fully automatic weapons (defined as firing more than one shot per trigger pull), suppressors (aka silencers), short barreled rifles and shotguns, and some other items are regulated by the 1934 National Firearms Act.* They are indeed legal to own according to federal law, but there are certain hoops through which you must jump. Some states also add additional requirements or ban NFA items (or categories thereof) outright.

The FEDERAL process (assuming your state does not have extra laws to follow, you'll need to check that yourself**) consists of the following if you are purchasing an existing item (as far as full auto guns go, you are):

1) You purchase the item, but do NOT take possession of it. You will need this firearm's information for the next step. Generally, you will be going through a Class 3 SOT (Special Occupational Taxpayer) for all this; that is a special kind of FFL. Most local gun shops are not set up for this.

2) You fill out an ATF Form 4 (full name is Form 5320.4), which is essentially an application to pay the NFA tax (which is $200 on fully automatic weapons). This application, which gets filled out in duplicate, requires you to affix a photo (a passport photo will do nicely), include TWO copies of your fingerprints, and you include the check for the tax.

3) Wait.

4) Wait some more. :D

5) Keep waiting (when I last went through this process for a suppressor, the NFA branch was taking 5 months to get things approved).

6) When your approved Form 4 (the tax stamp will be attached) comes in to your dealer, said dealer will give you a call and you can go pick up your new toy. It is highly recommended you make copies of the Form 4 and keep a copy with the item in question at all times.

7) Enjoy!

Just keep in mind that the 1986 registry closure greatly restricted the supply of fully automatic weapons. When the only ones legal for a citizen to own are ones that were already registered 25 years ago, you end up with the situation we have today, where the guns cost at least an order of magnitude more than they otherwise would.

*Here's a link to the ATF webpage containing information regarding NFA items.

** I did a quick web search and found no Georgia laws restricting NFA items, but keep in mind that is the result of all of 20 seconds of a Missouri resident's time. You'll want to check yourself, but if you can find a good NFA dealer near you, they'll give you good info.

I did a quick web search and found no Georgia laws restricting NFA items, but keep in mind that is the result of all of 20 seconds of a Missouri resident's time. You'll want to check yourself, but if you can find a good NFA dealer near you, they'll give you good info.
State Code 16-11-124 has the specifics. The short version is that, as long as you're in compliance with Federal law, you're good to go.

IMO, this is a reason EVERY bill passed should have a built in sunset

I'm no legal expert, but could this be a possible avenue of approach.

Pass a bill that requires all future laws to have a sunset clause, and that adds a sunset clause to laws already on the books that don't have one.
Technically you can do so without ever mentioning firearms in the first place. Could just be some routine piece of legislation that no-one even notices.

The antis love to attack gun rights by changing laws that really do not deal with firearms directly but still affect us. So why not do a sneak attack of our own?

In the 60s, 70s, and part of the 80s, the class 3 market was driven by collectors. The supply was incresing due to new manufactoring and alot of police held weapons that had been registered were being traded in for M-16 and such guns. We also saw a lot of class 3 weapons that had been registered during the "amnesty" start showing up. Could you image what would happen if ATF had another amnesty?

The last time, several guns got registered but the agents misled several people that as part of the registration they had to weld the gun shut. Some inserted a brass rod into the barrel and heated it up to satisfy the agent. I remember a MG-42 with a plugged barrel that all you had to do was hit the barrel eject handle, eject the plugged barrel and insert a new barrel and you were ready to shoot. Saw a 30 cal the same way. It was amazing how many war trophys were out there and how they got here from Europe amd Asia.

There might be some guns being used by police department now that might start hitting the markets that can be transfered. If the guns were sold in the 70s or 80s through a class 3 dealer to the PD then they were registered and transferable. What is really sad is when you find a really collectible gun at a PD and find out that is is not registered so no transfer. Saw a mint ZB-26 stripped for parts and then the reciever cut in half with a hack saw and trashed at a PD. Very sad.

It does seem odd that guns from one time period are the only ones allowed and others arent.... Im no lawyer and I know Im something of an Idealist but can someone more knowledgeable than I give me a little of the reasoning of why this would stand in a court of law?

If manfacturer X says I want to produce a automatic with identical parts and idential action to some previously made auto then what would be the basis of the court supporting the ban? It seems thin.....

maestro pistolero said:
Now, if he's around, Tennessee Gentlemen will be along shortly to tell us that F/A should never be approved for wide civilian use and that the militia clause of the 2A is a dead letter since we have the National Guard and local police. Right TG? Love ya!

You know me SO well :D Love you too buddy! AT-4s for all! :eek:

Hey seriously I like the quote you made from CALGUNS that FA was never in common use. I don't feel so alone now!;)

BGutzman said:
I have gotten blown out of the water in this forum before because apparently lawyer speak "Shall not be infringed" means something totally different from common English "Shall not be infringed". I don’t understand it or agree with it but some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum seem to agree on this idea, so it could simply be that Im wrong..

Well, you are wrong. US Constitutional law has always been that textual provisions have long been understood to have limitations. The First Amendment for example uses the the term "Congress shall make no law" concerning speech but in fact there are lots of laws that limit speech. Slander, Defamation, Terroristic Threats, etc. Think of it this way, if the Constitution is so easy to understand then why is there so much debate about what it means?

Finally, we can argue about an infringment is but if the courts say it is an OK restriction then by definition it is not an infringment. That is reality.

Individual rights are not absolute.....your rights end where someone else's begin. Rights also come with responsibility.

The Second Amendment gives you the individual right to possess firearms. With that right do you not have certain responsibilites as far as firearms safety so as not to disrupt someone else's right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

BGutzman said:
It does seem odd that guns from one time period are the only ones allowed and others arent....
Nonetheless, that is what the law says. The registry was closed in 1986, and no further full autos may be registered for ownership by private citizens. Whether you think it's odd has no bearing on the question.

BGutzman said:
.... Im no lawyer and I know Im something of an Idealist but can someone more knowledgeable than I give me a little of the reasoning of why this would stand in a court of law?...
[1] Well, I am a lawyer.

[2] The general rule is that a law properly enacted by a legislative body and signed by the executive (or becoming law under established procedures without signature) is presumptively valid and enforceable. That presumption is, of course, rebuttable. But it will be the burden of whoever challenges the validity of the law to convince, using accepted legal principles. a court that the law should be struck down.

[3] That you think a law is odd or that it doesn't make sense to you are not accepted grounds upon which a court might find a law invalid.

[4] Of course the Hughes Amendment could be challenged as unconstitutional under the 2nd Amendment. But as TG so properly explains in post 35, constitutionally protected rights are, under well established legal doctrine, subject to limited regulation if such regulation meets certain established standards.

[5] So should the constitutionality of the Hughes Amendment be challenged in court, the government will have the opportunity to try to make the case that it satisfies the applicable standards for the regulation of a constitutionally protected right. I don't know if they can succeed, but I'm not going to bet against the government prevailing on that point.

BGutzman said:
...If manfacturer X says I want to produce a automatic with identical parts and idential action to some previously made auto then what would be the basis of the court supporting the ban?...
The basis for a court supporting the ban would be the plain language of the Hughes Amendment. That would be sufficient absent a successful challenge of the Hughes Amendment on constitutional grounds.

If you have the inclination, the time and a few million dollars to spare, you're welcome to challenge the Hughes Amendment in court. The courts are open for business and accessible to you.

fiddletown - I truly do appreciate your reply...

I understand what you said is in reality is apparently true...

Does that make it correct? Does that make it what the founders intended? I think the founders wrote what they intended and we enacted a system that laterfell off track and was less concerned with what the Bill of Rights said and more concerned with whatever else.

You were generous enough to provide a answer and I thank you for it others might not have been so considerate about it... But in closing I would ask you these two questions.

Do you feel we are as free as the founders intended concerning the 2A? Do you think George Washington would have agreed with where we are on this issue?

It is my considered opinion that we will always be able to pass anti gun laws faster than anyone can appeal them and thus the system itself is ripe for abuse and certainly the average Joe or Jane cant afford to fight the endless legislation or even any of the legislation as a personal matter.

Trust me if I had Bill Gates kind of cash I would spend every cent in challenging the existing laws.

We have become a nation of laws and not a nation of freedoms and it is my eternal hope that it is good people such as youself that can one day lead this nation to some sort of reset to less laws more freedoms.

The NFA is not undefeatable and not unchallengable and however I can I will push to eliminate it.

Thank you for your time and your considered answer, I do appreciate it regardless...

Eghad said:
Individual rights are not absolute.....your rights end where someone else's begin.

A bit simplistic but yes and the courts decide where your rights end (may be regulated).

BGutzman said:
Does that make it correct? Does that make it what the founders intended?
It is the best we can do to question one and I would not want any other system I have seen. As to the second, well, they set it up and we are still running under it for more than 200 years. Machine guns or not.

BGutzman said:
We have become a nation of laws and not a nation of freedoms

Since we founded this country we have been a nation of laws and NOT of men. Freedom without law is anarchy and destructive. We make the laws through our process and then must live under them. That is our way. I have not found a better one. The NFA has been challenged (Miller) and stood through court decision. The Hughes Amendment is another matter. Good luck on your quest. Change is also our way!

BGutzman said:
...Do you feel we are as free as the founders intended concerning the 2A? Do you think George Washington would have agreed with where we are on this issue?...
I don't know. I won't presume to speak for the Founding Fathers, and they're not here to speak for themselves.

And sometimes we speak about the "intent of the Founding Fathers" as if they all agreed. But they did not. Fifty-five delegates attended the Constitutional Convention in 1786-87. Thirty-nine signed the proposed Constitution. Thirteen left without signing, and three refused to sign.

There was then a bitter fight over ratification by the States. And it indeed looked like the Constitution would fail ratification until the Massachusetts Compromise was hashed out -- giving us the Bill of Rights after the Constitution was ratified without the Bill of Rights.

And while the Founders aren't here to fully explain the depth and breadth of their intentions and expectations, they did leave us an amazing legacy -- The Constitution of the United States of America. And from the Constitution, we can infer that they intended us to have, among other things:

• A system of checks and balances achieved through a separation of powers among the Congress (legislative), the President (executive) and the Courts (judicial);
  • Of these three branches of government, the legislative was most directly subject to the influence of the body politic, and the judicial was the least subject to the direct influence of the body politic;
  • Judicial power vested in a Supreme Court and such inferior courts as Congress might establish, and this judicial power would extend to all cases arising under, among other things, the Constitution and the laws of the United States;
  • A Constitution that could be changed, albeit with difficulty.

Do I think that Congress has always enacted wise laws, and that decisions of the courts have always been wise and just, and that our public policy is always wise? Of course I don't.

I personally favor more freedom and less government (both federal and state) intrusion. But does everyone who has a voice in how things work and who gets elected to office agree with me? Of course not?

Our Founders also left us a system that allows us to try to hash out those differences. But the reality is that nobody is going to be completely happy all the time about the way things are.

The fact is that we live in a pluralistic, political society. As a result, and just looking at the question of gun control, in the real world there is going to be some "gun control."

There are a bunch of people out there who don't like guns (for whatever reason). There are also a lot of people who are scared of guns or of people who want to have guns. Some think guns should be banned and private citizens shouldn't have them at all. Some may be willing to go a long with private citizens being able to own guns as long as they were regulated. And these people vote.

We may think these people are wrong and that they have no valid reason to believe the way they do. We might think that many of them are crazy (and maybe some of them are). Of course some of them think that we have no valid reasons to think the way we do, and some of them think that we're crazy. But they still vote.

Of course we vote too, but there are enough of them to have an impact. They may be more powerful some places than others. But the bottom line is there would always be some level of gun control.

Of course there's the Second Amendment. But there is also a long line of judicial precedent for the proposition that Constitutionally protected rights may be subject to limited governmental regulation, subject to certain standards. How much regulation will pass muster remains to be seen. But the bottom line, again, is that we are unlikely to see all gun control thrown out by the courts; and we will therefore always have to live with some level of gun control.

How much or how little control we are saddled with will depend. It will depend in part on how well we can win the hearts and minds of the fence sitters. It will depend on how well we can acquire and maintain political and economic power and how adroitly we wield it. It will depend on how skillfully we handle post Heller litigation.

So whether or not we like it, whether or not we think the Second Amendment allows it and notwithstanding what we think the Founding Fathers would have thought about it, we will have to live with some forms of gun control.

BGutzman said:
fiddletown .....

I understand what you said is in reality is apparently true...

Does that make it correct? Does that make it what the founders intended?...
It makes it reality.

If we are to protect what we can, and further our interests, we need to understand this reality. "Shall issue" concealed weapons permitting processes were enacted in a majority of States by understanding reality. The AWB included a sunset provision because our advocates and political allies understood reality. Heller and McDonald were won by understanding reality.

Last edited:
Back