full auto ban

chasehav2014

Inactive
Just wondering on what ya'll thought about repealing the full auto firearm ban. I would like to repeal it I believe that we have the right to own that type of firearm.

Last edited:
There is no full auto firearms ban in these united states of america!

A 200 dollar "tax stamp" and you can buy any made before 1986 IIRC.
For all info related to NFA rules, go to that section as the guys are versed in that stuff real well.
Brent

OK if you want to get technical that is true and I knew that. What I was asking was for guns made post 1986 so you can get new guns that are full auto.

I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

It's political suicide. It's too extreme. It's a fight to hold onto what we have, and the progress we've made in recent years almost seems like a fluke to me.

There is no full auto firearms ban
that is true and I knew that

Then why didn't you just say that from the beginning?

How can you discuss what you don't appear to understand?

Then why didn't you just say that from the beginning?

How can you discuss what you don't appear to understand?
In my own defense, I have learned, since my first internet connection in '94, to take text I read and 'cypher it word for word as written literally... I am far more often correct in understanding than if I try to assume the person typed differently than they intended...:o

And at this stage, I ain't about to change what works most of the time.:cool:

Brent

I didn't add the post 1986 part at the begining because I thought that it would be understood that when you say the ban you mean new firearms. That is how most people refer to it anyways.

because I thought that it would be understood that when you say the ban you mean new firearms.
Actually, I think it is safe to guess that a majority, or nearly so, of Americans have no idea that any full auto can be legally owned by any citizen not forbidden due to their criminal/mental history...

Brent

I have to agree with you there that a lot of people have no clue about these things. Some people probably don't even know the difference between full or semi auto.

You could just sneak it in to a bill. The only people who would notice would be those who actually understand the NFA which is not to many and most of which would support the measure.

Demons will be ice skating before it happens.

There just isn't a lot of support in the population for the ownership of machine guns. If you took a poll and asked "Should Americans be allowed to own machine guns?" The majority of people would answer no.

In order to advance the cause of gun rights and prevent further restrictions we need pro gun Congressman and Senators who have to win close elections.

Nobody in a close election wants to face an ad that says "Congressman x voted to allow Americans to buy new machine guns. This vote allows military weapons to flood our streets."

While we all know that it would still require registration. The anti-gunners won't mention that part and would try and paint gun owners as lunatics. People who want to ban guns never let facts get in the way of their agenda.

While I am no fan of the NFA or the Hughes amendment I don't think it's going anywhere short of a court decision throwing it out as unconstitutional. Getting such a decision is probably a long shot as well.

chasep255 said:
You could just sneak it in to a bill. The only people who would notice would be those who actually understand the NFA ...
Repealing the Hughes amendment (let alone the NFA)? I guarantee the opposition would notice.

Neither opening up the registry nor relief under the NFA have any chance in Congress (nor much chance in court). Vranasaurus nailed it.

I'd like to see the hoops to get a suppressor reduced. They're an over the counter item in a some countries and not at all a problem. I can afford a suppressor or 2 but I could never afford to feed a full auto...

Tony

I'd love to see the Hughes Amendment repealed. I think most of us here would as well.

I'm not sold that it's a "never gonna happen" thing, I just think that at the federal level our legislature just has an extreme reluctance to REMOVE gun control provisions. Sure, they'll let things expire, but they won't actually repeal anything. IMO, it might be possible to sneak a sunset provision for 922o into something (forcing a reauthorization of it), but then again, that would leave the door open for them to go ahead and pass a reauthorization before it does go away.

IMO, this is a reason EVERY bill passed should have a built in sunset- force the legislature to take steps to keep useless and stupid laws instead of keeping them in force via inaction.

I'd like to see the hoops to get a suppressor reduced. They're an over the counter item in a some countries and not at all a problem.
+1; I've written the same thing in other threads whenever someone brings up repealing the Hughes amendment. IMHO the change to the NFA that would have the biggest benefit to actual American shooters and sportsmen (as opposed to COD players and mall ninjas) is to remove suppressors from the registry.

It would also be the easiest to accomplish because one of the strongest favorable arguments is "It Will Make Hunters Quieter", which should garner strong support from rural dwellers who like country peace and quiet... specifically retiring urban boomers who might otherwise oppose NFA changes. :) ("You know, I would love to quiet down that .30-06 that keeps waking you up at 6am during deer season, but we have to change this pointless federal law first..." ;) )

The major risk with trying to repeal the Hughes amendment is that the opposition WILL notice, the baby will be thrown out with the bathwater, and no further changes will be politically possible for a decade or two. :(

carguychris said:
....IMHO the change to the NFA that would have the biggest benefit to actual American shooters and sportsmen (...is to remove suppressors from the registry.

It would also be the easiest to accomplish because one of the strongest favorable arguments is "It Will Make Hunters Quieter", which should garner strong support from rural dwellers who like country peace and quiet... specifically retiring urban boomers...
But we're an urban society, and there aren't nearly enough people who would even be touched by this issue to make a difference. I suspect that even the majority of retirees who have moved to more rural environs live nowhere near where anyone hunts.

Funny, I was just writing about this at Cal Guns:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklover_91
Just out of curiosity, would we ever be able to challenge the in common use bit? Considering if it wasn't for artificial limiters put on by NFA and GCA '86, our 'in common use' would be M16's and not AR's.
That's a tough case to make. Even before the registration was closed, NFA weapons weren't that common in the big picture. They would be more common today if the registration was open, to be sure.

NFA challenges are down the road. And I think in the end, there will need to be SOME path to acquiring F/A, even though they may be heavily regulated.

Heavily regulated and banned are two different animals. As far as F/A goes, I think the former may survive but not the latter. A case could be made that we have an effective ban, as F/A is unavailable to anyone but the wealthiest among us, because the supply has been cut off, driving the price out of reach. Of course, that was the intent.

Again, that fight is for another day.

I would add that F/A small arms are in definitively common use worldwide, not just by military but individuals, militias, and paramilitary.

Their ubiquity on the world stage makes them protected, because they are exactly the small arms that would be used by any foreign invader.

The Second Amendment doesn't guarantee a right to inferior arms to repel foreign-born tyranny.

Now, if he's around, Tennessee Gentlemen will be along shortly to tell us that F/A should never be approved for wide civilian use and that the militia clause of the 2A is a dead letter since we have the National Guard and local police. Right TG? Love ya! :D

www.christopherjhoffman.com

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. I guess the right of the people part you didn't read did you. Also the Supreme Court ruled that we have the right to bear arms and that it also applies to state and local governments. If we have that right why is it they get to pick and choose which firearms we can and can't own.

You could just sneak it in to a bill.
That's how the Hughes amendment got passed in the first place.

That's a tough case to make. Even before the registration was closed, NFA weapons weren't that common in the big picture.
"In common use" is something of a litmus test, and unfortunately, the opposition will bring up that exact point.

It would also be the easiest to accomplish because one of the strongest favorable arguments is "It Will Make Hunters Quieter", which should garner strong support from rural dwellers who like country peace and quiet.
Actually, it would meet with some resistance because silencers (albeit illegal ones) are frequently the tool of poachers. In many areas, the hunting angle is the last one we'd want to pursue.

Vranasaurus is right in that the issue is still a bit too much of a hot potato at the moment to pursue. We still need to get a decision affirming that carry outside the home is a right. A challenge to the NFA will be at least 8-10 years out.

I guess the right of the people part you didn't read did you.
Oh, please. In jurisprudence, the right to keep and bear arms is only three years old. Like it or not, that's the reality, and that's what we have to deal with. We can keep fighting an incremental battle in the courts and legislatures, which is working, or we can sputter slogans and achieve nothing.

Back