Frustrating Savage 99 advice sought.

Naval spar varnish or its poly equivalent on the inside surfaces of the stock, to include under butt plate. Not sure about the outside finish, what it is and what it might readily take.

I recently finished my wooden trailer floor in 50/50 BLO/odorless mineral spirits. Man, that turned out great and very easy to apply. If you have an oil finish, that might work on the outside. Maybe on the inside, too.

jfruser. I like BLO for it's look, feel, smell, etc. Not sure if it's a good sealer though.

Might try that spar on inside.

Floating a light barrel won't work often. Sometimes you have to actually bed the forearm area about an inch or so. Treat a wooden stock channel so the stock doesn't warp against the barrel. Make sure that the action's screws are not binding and are correctly tightened. Loosen the screws and place the butt down on the floor and put down pressure on the barrel then tighten the screws back up. If you have a scope mounted it may be loose or it's just a bad/broken scope. Seek out a very good gunsmith (This is a lot harder to do than to say).

seal all my stocks with true oil or lin speed no matter what the rifle type.
I don't think true oil or pure linseed oil will "seal" anything.

Waterlox Marine would probably look the best and may do the trick.

General Finishes Arm-R-Seal is probably the cheapest, will work well, and looks better than most polys or urethanes.

Watco has a nice wipe on oil based polyurethane.

System Three Top Coat will probably work the best, will be the most expensive, and look the most plastic. Two part epoxy top coat.

There are outdoor acrylics and polyurethanes that will seal better and might last longer especially variants with good UV blockers, but they generally look like crap.

If you really wanted to get crazy, you could find someone with a vacuum bag and stabilize the entire stock... Basically fills all the voids/pores with acrylic. Would be interesting to try. Not sure how much resin that would take. My guess would be it would add considerable weight to the stock.

johnwilliamson...Thanks, thats a ton of info and I'M going to use it!

I could just let the weapon lager in a safe but it's just too damn sweet to do that.

I'll hafta remove the finish on that little fore end first.

Back