Front Strap Checking on 1911s: Yay or Nay

Do you like front strap checking on 1911s?

• Yes

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
44 AMP referenced this type of grip earlier in the thread but some shooters find that they make the grip frame too "fat". Need to try 'em on first for fit.

Wilson makes an almost foil thin front strap that is held in place by the grips. I put one on my commander and it feels pretty good. The trick is to install it tightly wrapped. One side comes pre-folded to fit in the grip cutout and to wrap it around the front strap and crease the other end so that it grabs the cutout edge. I used a thin double-sided adhesive film on the front strap to hold it in place while doing this. Years later and it hasn’t slipped or moved at all.

sJj5d4x.jpg

Last edited:
I also ended up installing the Wilson “panel” on my Series 70 Gold Cup. I like checkering and asked a local gunsmith about converting the stock vertically grooved front strap to checkering but he didn’t want to take a chance that too much metal would be removed.

I use my 1911 in Wild Bunch Action Shooting; the rules applicable to the “Modern” category allow checkering or other texturing of the frame but prohibit wrap around grips or skateboard tape. Happily the Wilson checkered panel is legal.

I looked at that Wilson accessory years ago but never tried it and until now, never heard a review. I think I’m gonna grab one of these and give it a shot.

Side note... I understand that gun game rules are often odd, frustrating and sometimes hard to figure but it seems nonsensical that tape is not allowed, a wrap around purpose-made grip is not allowed but some oddball one-off product (that nobody else has EVER made and marketed, in my recollection) is somehow within the boundaries of the seemingly strict rules?!

Wut?

Like the checkering or not, its your personal choice. I would, however, caution against any kind of sharp or "aggressive" checkering on the front strap of anything that recoils significantly more than a 9/10/.45acp 1911.

Grooves, ok, checkering, no thanks.

Yes, please, and thank you.

I want every decent means of being able to fire my 1911 without worry of it slipping in the process. Any number of LPI is fine with me. I have calluses older than most kids on this board.

Seems like we got a lotta sweaty handed fellas on this board. :rolleyes:

How'd we ever win two World Wars, one Korean "police action," and only get a "tie" outta that other SE Asian affair (:eek:), all without front-strap checkering on our Mil-issued 1911s/1911A1s? :rolleyes:

Seems like we got a lotta sweaty handed fellas on this board. :rolleyes:

How'd we ever win two World Wars, one Korean "police action," and only get a "tie" outta that other SE Asian affair (:eek:), all without front-strap checkering on our Mil-issued 1911s/1911A1s? :rolleyes:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest we didn’t win WWI, WWII, or have the results in Korea and Vietnam that we did because of the 1911. Additionally, something being a nice to have doesn’t mean you’re saying without it is a lost cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted no, but I don't mind front checkering on a gun, unless it's just "over the top", and makes gripping the gun uncomfortable, for me. For me is the point, I have friends who shoot guns that IMHO are so far over the point of comfort due to stippling, checkering, "grip tape", etc, that I want nothing to do with.

I prefer stippling and I really like the wrap around grips on my Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup. Its like stippling and works very well.
IMG_0443.jpg

I stippled the grip on a Browning Hi Power at a buddies request. It turned out great.
FrontGripStippling2.jpg

RearGripStippling.jpg

I prefer checkering but skateboard tape will do. I have a Heavy Slide gun built by Clark Jr. with the Clark sharp stippling on it. It works just fine for wadcutter shooting but it might be too much if on a hardball gun.

I have Hogue wrap around grips on mine and I think the world of them. I can't imagine a better set of grips for the M1911...

Tony

personally I like a MILD checking or stippling on the front strap. Smooth feels good but tends to slide a bit more making it a bit harder to control under recoil. I cant stand sharp checkering.

I like checkering or some form of stippling on a 1911. I’ve also used rubberized, wrap-around grips. I find the extra purchase I get to be beneficial.

It’s nice but not necessary for me. I do like an aggressive grip panel. All my 1911s and Berettas were VZs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back