Friend shot and killed over the weekend....

Rob Pincus

I am not sure if this is being discussed here already, I've been distracted and busy the last few days and don't have much time right now:

Early Saturday morning Officer Rick Timbrook was shot in the face and killed by a crack dealer in Winchester, VA.

Friday night he was trying to find a suspect when he ran into Edward Bell, a known drug dealer and illegal Jamaican. Rick had arrested him for a weapons charge a few years ago, but INS hadn't deported him and the DA's officer did not prosecute the charge.

Bell shot Rick at a distance of less than 4 feet with a .38 special in the head, killing him instantly.

Rick's wife is 7 months pregnant with their first child and they were just getting ready to move into a new home. Rick's life was cut short when it couldn't have been going any better.

Rick was one of the few officers that I had gotten to know up here in VA, since I am still on the opposite side of the state at the academy. He was the "poster boy" cop for our Patrol division. He was a Defensive Tactics, Firearms and Driving Instructor. He had worked at the department for almost 10 years. He had recently been promoted to Sgt and was working on WPD's special enforcement team.

The funeral is tomorrow morning.

------------------
-Essayons

Rob, I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost a friend, and we've lost a fine officer. My thoughts will be with you and Officer Timbrook's family.

Man, I am sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to his family. And may Bell, the S@B rot in h*ll.

Rob,

I'm sorry as hell to hear this. Please convey my condolences to his family and colleagues.

------------------
Byron Quick

Rob--

Thank you for sharing the news of a great man, though the news is incredibly sad. Complete and utter tragedy is avoided when the man's example leads others, even after his passing.

Haven't heard the news down here, so, with regard to Bell, has anyone yet applied the currect cure for that snakebite? (Kill the snake...)

L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Thank you all for your thoughts. I should've given the rest of the story.. here it is:

Bell was apprehended 7 hours after the shooting in the basement of a nieghboring house. Back-up units were on the scene at the time of the shooting,so he never got very far, but he hid really well in side the house.
We found the gun hidden behind that house in some ivy after some very tedious searching. Almost constant searching went on from Sat. morning until Sunday afternoon when Officer D. Smith of the Frederic County SO found the weapon. It was in a spot that had ben checked by explosives dogs, metal detectors and countless other officers. Only thorough dilligence and teamwork did we finally find the damn thing.

Bell was being held on a destruction of property charge over the weekend (he broke a window to get into the house), After we found the weapon and the State labs provided a positive Gun Shot Residue test, Capitol Murder and Criminal Use of a Firearm charges were placed on Bell, that was Sunday Evening.

The surrounding Agencies have been incredible through this process. State Police has been there fromthe first moments, as well as the surrounding counties. Front Royal PD has been extrememly helpful in the funeral plans, especially their Chaplain. Fairfax county PD had tere Helicopter up to Winchester very quickly after the incident, with its FLIR system to aid in the search for the suspect.

Today all of the traffic and patrol duties in the entire city are being handled by volunteer officers from other agencies invcluding the state police, so that every WPD officer can be at the funeral.

The case against Bell is strong, already. He places himself att he scene, but he hasn't admitted being armed or shooting Rick.. yet.
The Detective Sergeant in chargeof the forensic eveidence and the scene is one of the best in the state. In fadt, he is a forensics instructor. The lead investigators are also top notch.

I am confident that the Commonwealth of Virginia will give Bell exactly what he deserves.

------------------
-Essayons

Sorry to hear about your friend, Rob. My condolences.

Glad they caught the SOB, but there's no way that the punishment can fit the crime.

Is there any type of fund set up for his wife and soon-to-be child?

Rob, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and prayers go out to his wife and family. I glad the BG got caught. Maybe this time they'll prosecute.

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Rob, His family will be in our prayers today. Has there been a fund set up for the family? If there has, please relay the address.

------------------
jones

Back