Frenzy Gun Buying

HankL

There should be a cooling off period for gun sales! I know because when I walked into my {local shop} the owner told me that he had something I might want to look at. He offered me a 98 Mauser Bell style 7x57 stocked and smithed by one of our premier smiths for a song!
The rest is a long story but I'm happy that the impulse and the chance came along!

I don't purchase many iron sight rifles but I was very happy to be able to get this one.

In Mississippi, $+CCP=Instant Gratification!

Let's get those shopping folks on our side!\Hank

I notice that you're from MS. I saw a piece on Channel 13 News on 15 or 16 June just after all of the goings on in Collierville with the carjacking of the lady (from a local Sonic Drive-In) and her subsequent death. They were trying their best to make us look like fanatics again. They went out to Rangemaster in East Memphis and they talked like the place was covered up with people buying handguns and taking self defense classes. I sure do hate it when things like that happen but as the frequency of such events increases and it gets closer to home for some of the "silent majority" maybe they'll wake up and "get their dog in the fight."

------------------
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws
make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for
an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -ThomasJefferson

Howdy MO and welcome to TFL. In a "backhanded" way I feel this actually helps our cause in a number of ways. In emphasises that when violant crime does occur people respond by purchasing guns. Why? Because it serves to give them a (well founded) sense of security. By our local mews medias coverage it may also influance "fense setters" into seeing that their fears and desire to arm themslves is not just them but other members of the community as well. Equals, community exceptance of guns as a viable means of self protection. They see mainstream, non "gun nuts" exercising their constitutional rights.
My only reservation is the non gun person purchasing a gun and then not properly educating themselves in its proper use.
We've also seen this with every newly proposed gun law. People whom have never owned a gun (or certain type of gun) making a purchase "while tey still can". In that regard the antis can be a gun dealers best friend. I myself have became a part of that phenomenon. With the threat of new laws directed at "assault weapons" I'm currently looking for a Mini 14. Until now I really had no desire to own one.

Hank I know what you mean. I *avoid* gun shops and shows when money is tight. It seems there's always something that I hear calling my name. I own guns that I really wasn't looking for but the price was right, it looked good, would enhance my collection, the moon was in the right phase, the carma was right.........................
smile.gif

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

frenzy......isnt that our normal status between firearms till we get all we want..lol.......Im suffering the symptons of depleted pockets right now from that frenzy disease...lol...
but Im mildly sad, I now need to have a overhaul of the brakes, rotors, calipers etc, and new tires and shocks,,,,,,$1200-$1500...of ammo and firearms purchasing power poured into a non-firearm related item....but, it dosent transport me and the firearms, so Ill have to sacrafice...lol...fubsy.

You know, I never was interested in an "assult rifle" (what ever the h@ll that is) until all of this stuff broke forth several years ago. I now own three Russian SKS's and a Marlin Camp 9, all with various (and still legal) size clips. I LOVE THEM!! In fact I have taken advantage of the cheaper prices in 7.62x39 Hollow Point (Hunting) ammo made in russia, and you know, it ain't bad shootin stuff. I now have over 10,000 rounds and continue to buy more.
If I won't need them for the coming problems, I know my son and his family will (he loves the Camp 9).

All aside, I do spend a Whole lot more on guns, ammo, and donations to the NRA-ILA then ever. It is the patriotic thing to do.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

I wonder how long it will be before baseball is banned because of the "Assault Bat"
redface.gif
wink.gif
?

------------------
~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited June 18, 1999).]

Gun sales have definitely picked up in No. VA, and so have prices. The SIG 239 I could have had last month for $439 is now $499, but since I had just purchased another handgun, I had to wait because of our dumb-@$$ed 1/mo. law here.
Arrrgh!
M2

Was at www.steves-digicam.com and some guy was selling off his photo gear plus a Russian RPG launcher (I inquired about rockets) and a suitcase nuke (I can bring it to work to warm up coffee)...maybe I can pick something up. What's the going price on RPG projectiles (here, not in Kabul...that's too long a drive)?

Seriously...I have been on lookout for inexpensive handguns (usually used .38 s&w or .22 autoloaders) to gift to people...they better get serious about learning to use them, though. 38s are for adults, 22s for teenagers. I am well taken care of for myself now, though wouldn't pass up a Galil or AR15...

Gunslinger, the buying mania in advance of new gun-control laws has been going on a long time. For instance, during 1968's yadda-yadda, no gun store in Austin, TX, could keep a pistol on the shelf--and the dealers had trouble even getting new stuff from the factories.

The scary part was the number of first-time pistol-buyers who then wanted ammunition. The usual question was along the lines of, "Can't I just buy six bullets?"

Duh? It's the usual American arrogance: Ownership automatically conveys expertise.

I think people have wised up. Most folks I saw getting their first gun immediately got a case of ball and (if a handgun) at least 200 rounds of JHP...

FWIW, when my father got his S&W66, about 200 low-power handloaded wadcutters, 100 practice .38s and 100 .357 soft points came along.

Now I need a recommendation on where I can get a case of soft or hollow points in .38 and .357 relatively inexpensively.

Rat:

Your not having the fun of reloading your own? By doing so I have been able to get the cost of a box of 50 simi-wad's 357's down to just over $2.00 a box. Besides I find it a great way to relax. Doing some mindless work (once you have it down to a routine being carefull on each load), is a nice way to relax. I usually maintain about 2,000 rounds loaded up.

Richard

Check the reloading forum
smile.gif

My access to friend's loading press is limited during the summer. I used to load mostly low-power 38s for my snubbie and 9x19 for use with his MP40...but now would like to load up a thousand 110 or 125 grain .357s and as many in .38spl

But I'd like to keep some factory ammo on hand till I get the reloads.

We have a friend who is a teacher, and she also has a CCW permit. The other teachers gave her a hard time about having a handgun.

Then, one day, a bad guy was reported in the area of the school. Some honcho in the state police had kids in that school, so they advised the teachers of the situation, and locked the place down. A few of the teachers came to our friend and said 'Mary ... go get your gun!'.

I just love the liberal perspective on firearms ownership ...

Jeff said "I just love the liberal perspective on firearms ownership ..."

You got that right! I love it when they change their minds when it's their butt on the line.

Jon...

[This message has been edited by DrJon (edited June 18, 1999).]

Fubsy,

Change your brake fluid around every two years, as it absorbs water and rusts brake parts from the inside. I found out the hard way. Did you notice that no auto maker recommends this in the owner's manual? Nothing like getting you to give them more money for parts.

Don't forget the Y2K factor. Many people are buying guns and ammo due to the millenium bug. Many are first time gun owners. I recently sold a 9mm to a yuppie mom. Her sole reason for buying was Y2K. She said her and her husband wanted to be ready just in case.
I fell into the same trap. I never really cared for auto rifles, but I was at a gun show, found a very nice used Mini-30 at a good price, anti's want to ban the autos so I figured Y2K not. Just in case you understand.
smile.gif

While its off the subject, I would like to comment on B. Shipley's remark on changing brake fluid. Brake parts wear out. This is normal. If in the course of normal brake work your fluid is dirty or shows signs of rust, it is a good idea to change it. However, in twenty plus years of turning wrenches for a living, I've have never seen a brake failure "caused" by bad brake fluid. The idea of regularly changing fluid and flushing the system is just another gimmick some shops and dealers are using to charge you more money. There is no need to change the fluid simply because "Its time". Buyer beware.

grayfox...
Ive got to agree with ya on the brake fluid.....never heard of such a thing.....I got a deal on the truck and I knew it needed brakes when I bought it....just gettin my running gear right......I can have the thing not stop when Im loaded with firearms and related asscessories..........lol....fubsy.

Not to get off the subject more than normal here BUT, Brake fluid is hydroscopic <sp??> Which means that is asorbs water. Open a new can of brake fluis and in a short while it is usless due to asorbing mosture right out of the air. To get the longest life out of your brakes every 2 or 3 years depending on where you are and where/how you drive you should bleed your entire brake system. This gets rid of all the old contanamated brake fluid and flushes the lines out replacing the old with new fluid.

I will jump into the brake fluid debate, as this is what I too do to make a living. At our shop we have done a few brake system fluid flushes. This is NOT just to get peoples money. I do not activly promote brake system flushes, but when asked respond the same way as with all the fluids in vehicles.
Brake fluid-cheap, parts expensive and with brakes you always have the saftey factor. I personally don't really know exactly what happens to brake fluid if not changed, but why take the chance? It is not all that expensive. On the other hand my Roadrunner has had the same brake fluid in it for 20+ years and it still stops.

My $.02
Later
Daren

Back