Freeze Emergency Supplies?????

+1 on all the above advice on freezing/killing critters in bulk food stuffs.

+1 on the advice about mylar food storage bags too. Good stuff.

No one mentioned it, so I will. Invest in one of those Tila Food-Saver[tm] vacuum seal units. You can create smaller portion sizes of some things - rice, beans, flour, instant potatoes, etc. which can be stored up to 2 years for dry goods and a year (frozen) for meats & veggies. I recently cooked up a half-salmon that kept for a year in the freezer this way. And it was tasty.

Vacuum sealed foods keep fresh by keeping air out and this also prevents freezer burn.

Wow!...

The media really is a fear driven machine feeding off our insecurities. We're talking about a what if that has not materialized. I think the most sane statement made here is to stay healthy and stalk up on your regular survival kit. Here in the midwest we keep a supply of food and things in case of weather related problems. Being a shooter, I too feel it's a good idea to have a gun and some ammo...if something did happen you might not have the national guard confiscate your weapon allowing you to protect yourself and your food. Times have been strange for thousands of years with the only difference now I can call the other side of the planet on my telephone.:rolleyes:

Back