Freedom Munition

Re: stepped cases. What does that mean to the person just buying and shooting their ammo?

The "issue" or "nonissue" has been raised but no explanation about what it means to anyone.

The only real issue is to the reloader. The step is a stress riser and a few cycles of shooting and resizing creates a crack at the step. When you shoot a round with a crack, pressure is released back into the grip and can cause damage.

There are a few cases of problems with open bolt sub-machine guns using this ammo and having blow ups. However, having examined one, I believe it was a squib followed by a live round.

I have just totaled the rds I have bought from freedom 10,800 9mm ,45 act and I only have 600 left of the 9mm. i can only remember about 4 times that a rd failed to fire and you get that from almost every brand from time to time.

I think it makes for really good cheap practice ammo they ship fast and seem to always have it available.

As far as this stepped casing deal I have never had a problem of any kind that has been spoken of.

MarkCO,
Yes, this was an issue to me since I bought their new cases with the mindset of using the cases to reload before I knew of their specially formed cases. If you are just buying to shoot once and not reload, it will probably not be of concern to you.

It does raise the question of where all those cases end up in other commercially reloading companies that can't sort by head stamp and put the same charge in as they would all cases of standard make. I knew would expect to possibly see more cases of problems with pressure spikes using those cases (unless the reloads are really downloaded).

I don't know. I just hope these cases have been thoroughly tested for any possibilities of deviation from current SAAMI specs.

MarkCO, I suspect you're right about 1 million rounds being a low-end estimate, but I was just trying to demonstrate a point about what becomes more and more important as the scale of an enterprise increases.

Unless you are loading at max or +P, there is not much chance for a KB using these as reloads. Yes, the pressure will be higher. But I have crunched the numbers and even with Clays and 147s, pressure does not go above +P. If you are loading 160 or 165s, you are going to be over +P+ with these if using a charge for standard capacity cases.

The bigger issue is the cracking. I have cracked them on a single pass through an undersized die and two resizings with a standard die. I run a powder check station when I reload on the 650 and the stepped cases show high and so personally, I am not sure I will have an issue. But it does concern me.

Yes, I have seen the people who claim to have loaded the stepped cases with .5 grain reductions and have loaded them over 10 times without any problems, but I am skeptical of those claims and my testing has shown that it is not probable.

Have you contacted them and inquired about exchanging what you bought for their Remanufactured line of ammo? I might start there and see what they say. If you need a contact, let me know and I can get you one.

Yes, they will not exchange or refund just because I "think" these might be an issue. I have to have an "incident" for them to take action.
Based on topics I have read in the past, I can not just ship ORM-D materials without their issuing a return label, etc.

Your reply has eased some of my fears as it looks like you are well informed on this topic and have done some testing yourself.

Back