Freedom Munition

Anyone get ammo from Freedom Munition?
Their prices are super and I was wondering
about their hand loaded ammo that
they sell. Also, anyone have any
problems using their ready made
ammo! Also, the ammo will be 38 specials +P and 357 mags.
Thanks,
Doc

Last edited:
I have bought both new ammo, re-manufactured ammo, and component bullets from them. I personally have never had a problem with anything I have bought from them, nor their service. I will have no problems for buying from them again.

I will say that the only new ammo I have bought from them was 9mm. I have since learned that they use a stepped case for this ammo and it seems to have caused some issues (overpressure blow-ups?) with some people. I am now a bit apprehensive about using it (especially in a carbine) and am not sure if reloading it would be a good idea since the stepped wall of the case with my loads might cause a problem. You can research and take this for what you want.

I bought a case to the reman 38 special a while back. It all looks new, except for the different headstamps. I've shot a fair amount of it, it's been good for me no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of the reman from them.

I posted about a not-so-good experience with the 125gr reman .38 in my LCR357 - two squib bullets on separate range trips. But no issues in GP100. I just ordered a quarter case of the 158gr new .38 to use in the GPs along with quarter case of 124gr new 9mm for the Glock 19 - oh, and 1 box of the 158gr new .357 to try in the GP1708. Hope to have a range report on these in a few weeks. Now I'm concerned about the 9mm load I selected. Thanks NINEX. :eek:

You ask about "hand loaded" vs "ready made". I wasn't aware about that. Will have to read up on that.

I have shot about 4000 rounds of their 38 special flatpoint remanufactured 158 grain. And about 2000 rounds of their nine millimeter. Both 115 grain and 124 grain. I've also shot a box of their new 357 mag and a box of new 45 lc. No problems and great accuracy. I did have one box of 38 special where a couple of the primers were not seated deep enough and the cylinder got bound up a bit on a couple rounds. Other than that no issues. Have been very happy and plan on buying there for years to come. Very fast shipping too.

I can't speak for them first-hand, but lot of people use them and only a few problems reported, I would venture to say probably an equal amount of problems that I hear from a new manufacture munitions company.

that said, I will have to do a shameless plug here. I live local to n outfit called GA Arms, have been going to them since I started loading because they sell cast bullets(projectiles only) for super cheap, like 28-33$ per 500. A short time after that, I began working with one of their part-time employees at my office nd got to see how they do things up there. great operation, very clean and attentive, family oriented staff that are super nice people and the prices can be amazing at times. even though I load my own, I still shop there because they have not gouged their powder prices one bit on the last 5 years.........primers not so much. I have shot lots of their loaded ammunition and all the pistol ammo is loaded extremely well and you'll be hard-pressed to tel it from factory. I am sure freedom munitions is the same way, I just don't live by them. I know the OP would appreciate their 38 "cowboy" loads for his wife and they also have plenty of premium 38 +P as well, loaded with Gold-Dots and whatever else you fancy. most everyone around here shoots GA Arms ammo and nobody complains. I had one issue way back, some .223 V-Max did not have enough neck tension and was able to set the bullet back, they gladly replaced it, but pistol ammo I don't see ever having a concern with.

I don't have to mail order, so I don't know how the prices compete with Freedom in that department, but you should check them out and compare.
http://www.georgia-arms.com/38-special-158gr-plated-semi-wadcutter/
note that their ammo loaded with "new" brass is only a couple bucks more than "re-man"
http://www.georgia-arms.com/canned-heat-38-special-158gr-plated-semi-wadcutter/
it shows that they are sold out of a lot of stuff, especially in 38spl, but i'll bet a phone call would clarify things a bit.
lots of 357 available
http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-357-mag-158gr-speer-bonded-unicore-hollow-point-p/
http://www.georgia-arms.com/357-magnum-158gr-plated-semi-wadcutter/

as soon as I get a box of brass from the brown truck though, i'll re-man all the 357 one man could need.

Georgia Arms is okay. Never had a problem with their ammo. Their .38spl ammo was particularly dirty and left my revolver a mess, but it all went boom when it was supposed to. I still buy .38spl from them. For 9mm, their prices are higher than Freedoms by $2/box or more.

FWIW, I buy a lot from Freedom. Out of a few thousand rounds downrange, I've had maybe 3 rounds that didn't fire. These rounds did fire when they were re-chambered however.

I did have a couple of boxes in one shipment (remaufactured rounds) that had some bullets seated too deeply. However that was earlier this year and it has not reoccurred.

Accuracy wise the 9mms appear in line with other generic practice ammunition. They are inexpensive and if you want the brass for reload or have a thing about buying foreign goods they are a good deal. Plus you buy directly from the OEM, and can buy in bulk. I buy in 1,000 round lots myself.

I've used them for a number of years primarily with the reman 9 mm ammo and some .223. Out of probably 7000 rounds I can recall 2 rounds that failed to fire.

I also like their brass exchange program. I usually save my brass until I have a large flat rate post office box full and then send it in with a new order. This helps cut the price on their already good prices.

They are pretty good. I have shot a few thousand rounds of their 9mm, 45 ACP and 38 SPL.

I have heard reports or squib rounds about 6 months ago from a training class run by Opspec training in CA.

One other thing about their 9mm if you are looking to reload watch out for their brass. It has a rim/ridge inside of it that lessens the volume of the case which allows them to underload them and get standard pressures. It could cause pressure spikes if you load them using standard data.

NINEX19 said:
I will say that the only new ammo I have bought from them was 9mm. I have since learned that they use a stepped case for this ammo and it seems to have caused some issues (overpressure blow-ups?) with some people. I am now a bit apprehensive about using it (especially in a carbine) and am not sure if reloading it would be a good idea since the stepped wall of the case with my loads might cause a problem. You can research and take this for what you want.
I've been thinking about buying 1000 rounds of their 124 grain 9mm. I'd like to know more about this issue, if anyone would be willing to educate me on it.

IMT not IMI

crappy-brass.jpg

8371382713_b9bfcca8ac_c.jpg

Here are pics. Ammoland and IMT headstamps have this internal rim. It is not large but big enough to change the volume of the case IMHO and the opinion of many other reloaders.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about buying 1000 rounds of their 124 grain 9mm. I'd like to know more about this issue, if anyone would be willing to educate me on it.

Re stepped cases. First, they are not KBs, they are case ruptures. The internal step is sharp and even a once-reloaded case can crack using an undersized die. If you buy their reloaded, you get once fired brass. If you buy their new, you will get this stepped case. The headstamp is Ammoload. A search will turn up several topics on it. A photo: http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/data/attachments/57/57314-a092c35ac4437f7827522250b1a1cd44.jpg

I am aware of a few commercial reloaders that have ended up with these in ammo they have loaded and sold to customers.

Re stepped cases. First, they are not KBs, they are case ruptures. The internal step is sharp and even a once-reloaded case can crack using an undersized die. If you buy their reloaded, you get once fired brass. If you buy their new, you will get this stepped case. The headstamp is Ammoload. A search will turn up several topics on it. A photo: http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...50b1a1cd44.jpg

The last batch I got, which was about a year ago, was stamped IMT.

FWIW, the case of 9mm 115g, internal stepped cases I bought new from Freedom Munitions had the headstall "FM" "9mm". I I'd not get any with "ammoland" or "IMT".

HMT, the parent company owns all sorts of other companies and buys and sells from several other manufacturers. Those other headstamps could be over-runs from brass they made for OEM customers, but it is likely all made on HMT machinery.

What's the purpose of the internal step found in those cases?

I could see it as a counter-measure to case rupture, perhaps. I guess its presence might stop a projectile from getting pushed too deeply into the case and jacking up the chamber pressure. The "step" inside the case would also decrease the case volume, which might decrease the powder charge needed to reach the chamber pressures their manufacturing protocol requires.

If they manufacture 1,000,000 rds/year and save 0.3 grains powder/round, that's 43 pounds of powder/year.

I can tell you with certainty, the 1M rounds a year is WAY low on the estimate.

The purpose is one less manufacturing step.

Back